It had been many years since staying in this facility (when it was The Blue Boar) and decided to return, particularly given a recommendation for the seafood. We booked for two nights. The food on the first night (the only night we ate in) was OK, but there was definitely a lack of interest by one or two of the serving staff.The same applied at breakfast time when I eventually had to call a waitress over to order some tea. The real problems were the rooms. They are well equipped but, on the first night, any movement from the room above resulted in creaks. Traffic whizzed past the window at regular intervals adding to the misery. Early in the morning, there was a lot of noise outside the room door (where the housekeeping cupboards are located). The rooms are all themed and somebody had a sense of humour when they called this room 'Zen'. The room was small and made smaller by a ridiculous 12" border of wood around the bed, nicely at shin height. We asked to me moved for the second night and we were given Waikiki Beach. This was behind reception and away from other rooms and the road. Given that we had to leave at 5am the following morning this was attractive. Despite this, a private party was given a table in the reception area and, for some reason, they felt it necessary to scream to each other at the tops of their voices. Furthermore, they were all using the disabled toilet, next to our room and then leaving an intermediate door open each time. It took about half hour for them to quieten down once we had called a manager. So, two nights of little sleep due to noise. Needless to say, we'll be staying elsewhere next trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of Berkshire countryside, The Crab & Boar is a stunning country pub with rooms offering award-winning British cuisine and 14 country-style bedrooms. Sink into one of our 14 stylish rooms and unwind in your own private corner of the Berkshire countryside. All bedrooms feature antique furnishing, luxury throws, Egyptian cotton linen, flat screen TVs, natural Bramley bath and body products and Tea and coffee making facilities. Some rooms have their own private hot tub. Dogs are more than welcome. The two AA Rosettes restaurant serves beautiful seafood and seasonal game in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our Head Chef Tom uses locally sourced and seasonal ingredients so you can expect that every plate on the Crab & Boar menu is as fresh as it can be and is expertly crafted with a passion for the local countryside. With an easy access to the M4 motoway, The Crab & Boar is located 25 minute drive away from historic Oxford, 16 minutes from Newbury Racecourse and 19 minutes from Highclere castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Evoline ltd and LateRooms so you can book your Crab & Boar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crab At Chieveley Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Chieveley
- Crab & Boar Chieveley, Berkshire