“Could do much better”
Review of Crab & Boar

Crab & Boar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Good location just off M4 and good views across fields. Gardens needed attention making the setting look untidy. Nice feel when you go inside all be it look tired. Not the most friendly or well informed welcome I have ever had. Group on deal is rack rate so worth looking elsewhere for that "deal".
Room was nice but again seen better days. Our meal was disappointing. Fish dish very average and steak over cooked. (actually not asked how we wanted it cooked so come out well done!!) good wine list but no idea how to serve their most expensive red. Had to ask for decanter , which was chipped and dirty. Overall it's average at best. Your reputation is slipping, great potential, but needs a boost to recreate its past.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Amparo F, Front Office Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Mr Chris S

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Crab at Chieveley.

I was exceptionally disappointed to read your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I can assure you “unfriendly and not well informed” is not the 'norm' for our standard of service.

In regards to our rooms and garden area being tired, I can assure we do our best trying to keep on top of the maintenance side and gardening, as well as cleaning in the rooms. My apologies if this wasn’t up to your standards.

I am so sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your food either, as your steak came out overcooked. I would like to point out that we are very strict on table checking our entire restaurant guests throughout each course of their meal. If this was expressed to us on the day I would've simply offered to change the main course for a new one rather than letting you go away, not realising your disappointment until reading your comments on Trip Advisor.

All in all, all of the team and I were very disappointed that you didn't feel the food, service and accommodation wasn't anything special. I hope you decide to give the Crab another try in the future hopefully allowing us to give you a better impression of what we do.

The Crab at Chieveley.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had no idea as to where we were headed but was rather pleased when we turned into the entrance, as it looked good. Our room was comfortable and quiet as we were away from the busy road.
Dinner was good, I had two fish dishes as it seemed wrong not to, both were cooked beautifully and tasted great. My only niggle would be that I could have eaten more and I don't have a huge appetite. I did not see the bill but I know it is quite pricey.
Staff were friendly and attentive.
We did enjoy our evening and will probably return again.

Room Tip: Away from the road

Dear Porcha T

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crab at Chieveley. I have passed all of your kind comments on to all of our staff, who is more than delighted to read them.

We all hope to welcome you to The Crab at Chieveley in the very near future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I took my husband for dinner here for his birthday. We live locally but have never visited before. It was really lovely. The atmosphere is welcoming and relaxed. It feels quite informal whilst still feeling like you've gone somewhere a bit special. Perfect for a nice occasion. The food was really high quality, fresh and lots of choice including several non fishy things if you have a non fish lover in your party.
The dessert share platter for two was a pleasure on a plate. On a bit of a beach theme which was fun.
Staff were all lovely, service was timed perfectly. All round I can't wait for another reason to go back.

Dear Mrs Gaynor S

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crab at Chieveley. I have passed your kind comments on to all of our staff and kitchen team who is more than delighted to read them.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Crab at Chieveley in the near future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We have visited The Crab on many occasions, and always enjoyed the experience; the venue is superb. We organised a table for 3, as a treat for Mums birthday. Friendly welcome on arrival, the food was excellent, as usual. The service in the dining room however was poor and unfriendly. A wait of approximately 40 minutes inbetween starter and main course, with no communication or explanation. Even obtaining the bill proved difficult and took 3 requests.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul B

Dear Mr Paul B

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience here at the Crab at Chieveley.

I have passed your comments on to a very grateful kitchen team, who was delighted to read that the food delivered was up to your standards and as good as usual.

I would like to point out that we are very strict on table checking all of our restaurant guests throughout each course of their meal, so if this wasn’t the case on your last visit, my most sincere apologies.

We hope this hasn’t put you off and you will be returning to The Crab in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We took our daughters away for a family weekend. We stayed in Bora Bora a hot tub room and Hacienda on the floor above. This is a return visit and once everything the hotel provided was superb.
The greeting we received on our arrival was warm and genuine. We had asked for an early check in and this was managed well and both rooms were made available swiftly .
Our evening meal was lovely, the waiters were friendly and were eager to talk us through the menu.
We all enjoyed our choices, especially the Platter fruits of the sea which consisted of lobster, tiger prawns, crab, king scallops, oysters and mussels and Smoked Salmon. We were please we chose the Assiette of desserts to follow which easily served three.
We will returning to The Crab again later in the year but hope that the couple who were in the Chiva Sum Room next to Bora Bora will not be staying again. They arrived shortly after us and played their choice of music loudly into the garden area of their room, all through the afternoon constantly until late. I wonder why? We found this rude and inconsiderate and so did the member of staff we reported them to.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different so talk to reception when booking and they will describe each room for y...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Firstly I must say our stay was great and lots of luxury. Stayed in the Chiva Sum room on 6th June and the room was lovely. Based on other reviews there were no traffic noise. The hot tub was amazing and the evening meal and breakfast were delicious. All of the staff were very friendly and immensely helpful.
The negatives were the disrespectful neighbours in the Bird Island room who decided to have a noisy night in the hot tub from 1am until 2.45am, the hot tub tarpaulin cover whose stretch clip hit partner next to eye, causing a small cut and the noise of the hot tub pump which meant we had to ask for the tub to be turned off.
Overall these niggles did not spoil our night away and we would not let them put us off returning in the future.

1  Thank BigSc0tt

Dear BigSc0tt

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your kind feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us, your evening meal and that you found our staff members attentive and immensely helpful, as that is our priority.

I have however noted your comments regarding the tarpaulin cover and the noisy hot tub pump. I have pleasure in confirming that new covers have been replaced in all our hot tub rooms and the pump has been looked at.

In regards to the noisy neighbours, I can just apologise for this. It is disappointing that no all of our hotel guests consider the other guests in adjacent rooms to them.

I am glad to read that these niggles didn’t spoil your stay and hasn’t put you off returning in the future.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Crab at Chieveley.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Like always, every visit we make to the Crab has been special and top class. This hotel/restaurant is definitely in my top 10 favourite places to eat and stay in England.

Living local does help but I have been coming years to the Crab. This time was to celebrate our anniversary and stay one night in their famous themed rooms including a hot tub.

The staff from booking the room over the phone to saying their goodbyes have all been brilliant, they are very attentive to your needs and make you feel very welcome.

We stayed in the morrocan themed room, besides being close to the road, it didn't bother us as it wasn't too noisy and with great views of the Oxfordshire landscape. We were greeted with sparkling wine and chocolates in our room. The great coffee maker machine definitely was definitely a lovely added touch. Great size bathroom. But the hot tub was definitely our favourite addition to the room. They offered free room service for our breakfast and even dessert which was this massive sharing platter.

So there's nothing to fault with this hotel/restaurant. Great attentive service, beautifully decorated rooms, reception and restuarant (definitely has the wow factor), top quality food, priced reasonably and served beautifully. Definitely recommend this place to friends and family. And can't wait for another excuse to go there!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Wei H

Dear Wei H

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your kind feedback via tripadvisor.

All of us are delighted to hear that we are ‘one of your top 10 favourite places to stay and eat’ and see your five star rating did definitely put a smile on our faces.

I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for pointing the great attentive service that you received, we much appreciate it.

Once again, thank you for all your lovely comments.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Crab at Chieveley in the very near future.

Best wishes
Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Regency Park Hotel
Regency Park Hotel
#6 of 17 in Newbury

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!