“Disappointing”

and 1 more site!
Crab & Boar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed midweek recently for surprise present for my husbands 65th birthday. Stayed a few years ago here but have eaten quite often. On arrival were welcomed pleasantly and taken to room it was Gleneagles. It was ok. No milk for tea someone brought up a jug when I called downstairs ok for then but not next day as no fridge drank it black. Sat in garden as very warm obviously no bar service there as no one came to offer us refreshments. Went down to dinner sat
in bar three people chatting behind bar waited no one came so I asked if the protocol was to come to them, someone appeared immediately. Food and service at dinner was very good we had seafood platter. When we went to bed we were unable to sleep as a couple were in hot tub below until 12.30. In morning I attempted to shower but only had hairspray attachment over bath.
My husband decided after watching me struggle to shower at home. No plug near mirror to dry my hair, very annoying. for the price they are charging I think it needs to improve has deteriorated since we last stayed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Amparo F, Front Office Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear MLH59

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Crab at Chieveley.

I am sorry to hear your recent stay with us wasn't as pleasant as you expected.

In regards to the milk, I would like to inform you that we had some delivery problems at that time, that’s why we couldn't place milk in the rooms. However this was informed to all our guest on check-in time and offered to all of them a fresh milk jug. If you needed more milk in the morning our reception team would be more than happy to assist you if you mention it, as fridges are not one of the facilities in our hotel rooms.

Regarding the service that you experienced at the bar, I can guarantee that is not the ‘norm’ for our standard of service and I am glad to hear that a member of our staff immediately looked after you both, after you mentioned it.

In regards to the noisy neighbours, I can just apologise for this. It is disappointing that not all of our hotel guests consider other guests in rooms above them.

Hopefully your last experience hasn't put you off from returning to us and we would like to welcome you to The Crab at Chieveley again anytime soon.

If you do wish to discuss your points further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed in Chiva Som, one of the Hot tub rooms. Absolutely lovely room with a wonderfully private hot tub patio area. The evening meal was amazing, and breakfast was also great with plenty of choice.
Staff are attentive and welcoming.
An even better stay than last time (my birthday two years ago) when we stayed in Banyan Tree Spa room.

Room Tip: Hot-tub rooms are amazing for that extra special stay. Slight downside is noise of hot tub during t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Amparo F, Front Office Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear KarenJH46

Thank you ever so much for your kind comments. All of the Crab team and I were delighted to see your rating on Trip Advisor.

I’m pleased to read you thoroughly enjoyed your meal and stay with us and hope that we did make your birthday one to remember.

A really grateful team look forward to welcoming you both to The Crab at Chieveley in a very near future.

Best wishes
The Crab at Chieveley

Reviewed 2 July 2014

4 out of 5 times and the food and service has been great which is why we like to return. However, on the 5th occasion I have been very disappointed. When I called to make a booking the receptionist said could you call back in 10 mins because I am with a guest. 1st fault. Then I called again and I asked to be put through to the restaurant and all was fine. When we arrived, there was no one at the restaurant to greet us until someone eventually peered through the bar and took us to our table. We discovered that on a sunday they only offer a set menu, which meant there were only two fish options as a main....that was disappointing because the place is renowned for its fish and seafood dishes. I ordered the crayfish gazpacho and to be honest the flavours of the crayfish were devoured by the soup itself. I did not think that worked which was a shame. For main I had the beef roast and it was presented as if I was at home and not in a restaurant....even the pieces of meat were too thick for my liking. The food itself and the veg was not seasoned. My husband had the goats cheese veg. main meal and it was average to be honest. The service in general was not as good, the waitress forgot to bring the gluten free bread and the restaurant was empty inside, perhaps a few tables outside. No excuse really. It is a shame...we won't go on a sunday anymore because the attraction to the restaurant is its fish.

Dear Alexandra11-3-11

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback via Trip Advisor of your recent experience with us.

Firstly I would like to apologize if there was a delay on taking your restaurant reservation and if there was no one at the restaurant to greet you.

Regarding the food, I am terrible sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your meal with us. I have passed all of your comments on to our kitchen team who will be looking into your comments, hopefully preventing this from happening again.

In regards to the A La Carte menu, we normally only serve the Set Menu on Sunday lunches, however if one of our guests does ask for the A La Carte menu we are always happy to give it to them.

Hopefully your last experience hasn’t put you off from returning to us and we will welcome you to The Crab at Chieveley again any time soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Good location just off M4 and good views across fields. Gardens needed attention making the setting look untidy. Nice feel when you go inside all be it look tired. Not the most friendly or well informed welcome I have ever had. Group on deal is rack rate so worth looking elsewhere for that "deal".
Room was nice but again seen better days. Our meal was disappointing. Fish dish very average and steak over cooked. (actually not asked how we wanted it cooked so come out well done!!) good wine list but no idea how to serve their most expensive red. Had to ask for decanter , which was chipped and dirty. Overall it's average at best. Your reputation is slipping, great potential, but needs a boost to recreate its past.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr Chris S

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Crab at Chieveley.

I was exceptionally disappointed to read your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I can assure you “unfriendly and not well informed” is not the 'norm' for our standard of service.

In regards to our rooms and garden area being tired, I can assure we do our best trying to keep on top of the maintenance side and gardening, as well as cleaning in the rooms. My apologies if this wasn’t up to your standards.

I am so sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your food either, as your steak came out overcooked. I would like to point out that we are very strict on table checking our entire restaurant guests throughout each course of their meal. If this was expressed to us on the day I would've simply offered to change the main course for a new one rather than letting you go away, not realising your disappointment until reading your comments on Trip Advisor.

All in all, all of the team and I were very disappointed that you didn't feel the food, service and accommodation wasn't anything special. I hope you decide to give the Crab another try in the future hopefully allowing us to give you a better impression of what we do.

The Crab at Chieveley.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had no idea as to where we were headed but was rather pleased when we turned into the entrance, as it looked good. Our room was comfortable and quiet as we were away from the busy road.
Dinner was good, I had two fish dishes as it seemed wrong not to, both were cooked beautifully and tasted great. My only niggle would be that I could have eaten more and I don't have a huge appetite. I did not see the bill but I know it is quite pricey.
Staff were friendly and attentive.
We did enjoy our evening and will probably return again.

Room Tip: Away from the road

Dear Porcha T

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crab at Chieveley. I have passed all of your kind comments on to all of our staff, who is more than delighted to read them.

We all hope to welcome you to The Crab at Chieveley in the very near future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I took my husband for dinner here for his birthday. We live locally but have never visited before. It was really lovely. The atmosphere is welcoming and relaxed. It feels quite informal whilst still feeling like you've gone somewhere a bit special. Perfect for a nice occasion. The food was really high quality, fresh and lots of choice including several non fishy things if you have a non fish lover in your party.
The dessert share platter for two was a pleasure on a plate. On a bit of a beach theme which was fun.
Staff were all lovely, service was timed perfectly. All round I can't wait for another reason to go back.

Dear Mrs Gaynor S

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crab at Chieveley. I have passed your kind comments on to all of our staff and kitchen team who is more than delighted to read them.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Crab at Chieveley in the near future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We have visited The Crab on many occasions, and always enjoyed the experience; the venue is superb. We organised a table for 3, as a treat for Mums birthday. Friendly welcome on arrival, the food was excellent, as usual. The service in the dining room however was poor and unfriendly. A wait of approximately 40 minutes inbetween starter and main course, with no communication or explanation. Even obtaining the bill proved difficult and took 3 requests.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul B

Dear Mr Paul B

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience here at the Crab at Chieveley.

I have passed your comments on to a very grateful kitchen team, who was delighted to read that the food delivered was up to your standards and as good as usual.

I would like to point out that we are very strict on table checking all of our restaurant guests throughout each course of their meal, so if this wasn’t the case on your last visit, my most sincere apologies.

We hope this hasn’t put you off and you will be returning to The Crab in the near future.
Amparo Ferri

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
11 mi away
Sandford Springs Hotel
Sandford Springs Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kingsclere

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!