Crab & Boar
US$153
US$156
US$150
US$109
Hare and Hounds Hotel(Newbury)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$405
Queens Hotel(Newbury)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewshot tubcrabboaroystersprivate gardenromantic nightbirthday treatgastro pubpuddingbreakfast in bedfour poster bedroad noiselovely mealfull englishsunday lunchrelaxing stayan overnight stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We checked in about three o'clock it was a birthday celebration for my wife. As soon as we got into our room bora bora it was wow wow wow. The hot tub was amazing so relaxing. Next time would pick the one with the gazebo bit more private. We then dined in the restaurant and this was the highlight of our stay we sat by the shutter windows table was lovely. From the minute we sat down the manager was amazing and so were all the staff. He really made a fuss of us gave us food and wine recommendations was very knowledgeable. The food was delicious all three courses and the free appetiser. He came out with a happy bday badge party poppers and streamers for my wife can't say enough. Please take no notice of any negative reviews the place and staff are truly amazing.we stayed 13th July eve. The breakfast was really good and I would love to know what olive oil they used for dipping bread because it was to die for.

• Stayed: July 2014
Amparo F, Front Office Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Martw1612

Thank you ever so much for your kind comments. All of the Crab team and I were delighted to see your rating on Trip Advisor.

I’m pleased to read you thoroughly enjoyed your meal and stay with us and hope that we did make her birthday one to remember.

A really grateful team look forward to welcoming you both to The Crab at Chieveley in a very near future.

The Crab at Chieveley

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have dined many times at The Crab and have yet to be disappointed .The most recent visit
was for Sunday Lunch on July 13th and,as usual, we found it impossible to fault any aspect
of the dining experience.
The service was impeccable, following an extremely friendly welcome,and the food quality was
uniformally excellent.
We have always found the venue to be friendly, comfortable and exhibiting an appropriate degree
of 'quality' in all areas of its 'offer'.
Naturally, we expect to return regularly, and recommend it with absolute confidence.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris M

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind comments via Trip Advisor.
All of the team and I were delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience with us.

The fact you couldn’t fault any aspect definitely made us very proud.

A really grateful team look forward to welcoming you both to The Crab at Chieveley in the very near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed on a Monday evening to celebrate our wedding anniversary and found no problems with the staff, premises or food. Stayed in the banyan tree room which had a great view over the local countryside and a lovely spa bath. Food was excellent with a matching service in the evening and a pleasant breakfast taken at a leisurely pace. Would we come again for either the hotel or dinner - yes, we would.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sprinkle 2

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crab at Chieveley.

I am happy to read that our staff, premises and food were up to your standards and you really enjoyed your stay with us.

I have passed all of your kind comments on to all of our staff and kitchen team who were more than delighted to read them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crab at Chieveley in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed midweek recently for surprise present for my husbands 65th birthday. Stayed a few years ago here but have eaten quite often. On arrival were welcomed pleasantly and taken to room it was Gleneagles. It was ok. No milk for tea someone brought up a jug when I called downstairs ok for then but not next day as no fridge drank it black. Sat in garden as very warm obviously no bar service there as no one came to offer us refreshments. Went down to dinner sat
in bar three people chatting behind bar waited no one came so I asked if the protocol was to come to them, someone appeared immediately. Food and service at dinner was very good we had seafood platter. When we went to bed we were unable to sleep as a couple were in hot tub below until 12.30. In morning I attempted to shower but only had hairspray attachment over bath.
My husband decided after watching me struggle to shower at home. No plug near mirror to dry my hair, very annoying. for the price they are charging I think it needs to improve has deteriorated since we last stayed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MLH59

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Crab at Chieveley.

I am sorry to hear your recent stay with us wasn't as pleasant as you expected.

In regards to the milk, I would like to inform you that we had some delivery problems at that time, that’s why we couldn't place milk in the rooms. However this was informed to all our guest on check-in time and offered to all of them a fresh milk jug. If you needed more milk in the morning our reception team would be more than happy to assist you if you mention it, as fridges are not one of the facilities in our hotel rooms.

Regarding the service that you experienced at the bar, I can guarantee that is not the ‘norm’ for our standard of service and I am glad to hear that a member of our staff immediately looked after you both, after you mentioned it.

In regards to the noisy neighbours, I can just apologise for this. It is disappointing that not all of our hotel guests consider other guests in rooms above them.

Hopefully your last experience hasn't put you off from returning to us and we would like to welcome you to The Crab at Chieveley again anytime soon.

If you do wish to discuss your points further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed in Chiva Som, one of the Hot tub rooms. Absolutely lovely room with a wonderfully private hot tub patio area. The evening meal was amazing, and breakfast was also great with plenty of choice.
Staff are attentive and welcoming.
An even better stay than last time (my birthday two years ago) when we stayed in Banyan Tree Spa room.

Room Tip: Hot-tub rooms are amazing for that extra special stay. Slight downside is noise of hot tub during the night if you want to sleep well.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Amparo F, Front Office Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear KarenJH46

I’m pleased to read you thoroughly enjoyed your meal and stay with us and hope that we did make your birthday one to remember.

The Crab at Chieveley