Me & my partner stayed overnight 20th/21st July.
This was pre-paid as a Christmas present by my partners children.
From start to finish there were problems.
Our first trip to the bar resulted in a forgotten drink, we waited 1/2 hr for a Pimms & lemonade,
not exactly an exotic or unusual drink!
Then the room we had booked had a very noisy hot tub, we were offered an alternative, which also had a problem with the hot tub. Despite a request for the original hot tub to be turned off the noise carried on all night and the alternative was only 20 ft away! This made sleeping very difficult.
For our evening meal which we requested to eat outside, no-one came to serve us for 45 mins.
At this point I complained about our experience so far.
After this and upon meeting Luis (Assistant Manager) who was extremely apologetic we were waited on hand & foot.
We were given a complimentary bottle of Champagne (which we didn't ask for).
It's unfortunate that this had been pre-paid because as I said to Luis had I been paying on check out I'm not sure I would of paid anything.
I requested to speak to the General Manager who was unavailable on the night of our stay & couldn't be contacted.
I did return to The Crab on Wednesday 23rd & spoke to the General Manager, who offered me a complimentary stay on a night of my choice.
This offer however does not include anything towards a meal.
So do we want to go back and spend approx £100 on food and drink at an establishment that so far we have had a bad experience in?
We are still deciding.
What I am mostly frustrated by is that The Crab management seem to think that offering complimentary Champagne & a room is in some way making up for an overall bad performance,
when what me & my partner really wanted was an enjoyable evening with no problems,
which ours was most definitely not!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of Berkshire countryside, The Crab & Boar is a stunning country pub with rooms offering award-winning British cuisine and 14 country-style bedrooms. Sink into one of our 14 stylish rooms and unwind in your own private corner of the Berkshire countryside. All bedrooms feature antique furnishing, luxury throws, Egyptian cotton linen, flat screen TVs, natural Bramley bath and body products and Tea and coffee making facilities. Some rooms have their own private hot tub. Dogs are more than welcome. The two AA Rosettes restaurant serves beautiful seafood and seasonal game in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our Head Chef Tom uses locally sourced and seasonal ingredients so you can expect that every plate on the Crab & Boar menu is as fresh as it can be and is expertly crafted with a passion for the local countryside. With an easy access to the M4 motoway, The Crab & Boar is located 25 minute drive away from historic Oxford, 16 minutes from Newbury Racecourse and 19 minutes from Highclere castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Crab & Boar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crab At Chieveley Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Chieveley
- Crab & Boar Chieveley, Berkshire