“A poor experience”
Review of Crab & Boar

Crab & Boar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Me & my partner stayed overnight 20th/21st July.
This was pre-paid as a Christmas present by my partners children.
From start to finish there were problems.
Our first trip to the bar resulted in a forgotten drink, we waited 1/2 hr for a Pimms & lemonade,
not exactly an exotic or unusual drink!
Then the room we had booked had a very noisy hot tub, we were offered an alternative, which also had a problem with the hot tub. Despite a request for the original hot tub to be turned off the noise carried on all night and the alternative was only 20 ft away! This made sleeping very difficult.
For our evening meal which we requested to eat outside, no-one came to serve us for 45 mins.
At this point I complained about our experience so far.
After this and upon meeting Luis (Assistant Manager) who was extremely apologetic we were waited on hand & foot.
We were given a complimentary bottle of Champagne (which we didn't ask for).
It's unfortunate that this had been pre-paid because as I said to Luis had I been paying on check out I'm not sure I would of paid anything.
I requested to speak to the General Manager who was unavailable on the night of our stay & couldn't be contacted.
I did return to The Crab on Wednesday 23rd & spoke to the General Manager, who offered me a complimentary stay on a night of my choice.
This offer however does not include anything towards a meal.
So do we want to go back and spend approx £100 on food and drink at an establishment that so far we have had a bad experience in?
We are still deciding.
What I am mostly frustrated by is that The Crab management seem to think that offering complimentary Champagne & a room is in some way making up for an overall bad performance,
when what me & my partner really wanted was an enjoyable evening with no problems,
which ours was most definitely not!!!

4  Thank Joe G

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We went to this suburb restaurant with very good friends. The whole evening was wonderful,with excellent food,wine,and excellent attentive service.
I rate this restaurant very very highly and have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant to every one.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Amparo F, Front Office Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Rod B

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crab at Chieveley. I have passed all of your kind comments on to all of our staff and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 23 July 2014

After booking almost half a year in advance to visit the crab for my partners birthday, unfortunately I left feeling disappointed.

We stayed in the Venice themed room with the hot tub. On arrival, outside we found an old champagne bottle and smashed glasses in an ice bucket left there. Disappointed that the room clearly hadn't been cleared properly. The area surrounding the hot tub could have been kept better. There were lots of cobwebs and in general looked a bit run down.

We were told the hotub was all set up and ready. It was on a day when it was about 30 degrees, and they had set the hot tub on to the maximum temperature 40 degrees! It was way too hot for a day like that, and considering there has been a heat wave for the last week, they should have known to set the hot tub at a more appropriate temperature. We tried to turn the heat down, and failing that we rang the reception. On the day, all phones were down so we had to call from our mobile after trying numerous times. When we finally got through, we were told by the receptionist she would check with the engineers. We never received any call back to give us an update!

We had a dinner reservation booked that evening in the restaurant which had a good atmosphere. Staff were very nice and friendly, although lacking a bit of training. We ordered a side of Samphire to accompany our mains, and when It arrived it was so salty. Nobody came to ask if our meal was ok. We left the Samphire untouched and mentioned to the waitress that it was far too salty. We were disappointed that they didn't really acknowledge this and still charged us for it! I also informed them it was my partners birthday and they had agreed to arrange a candle and message to come with the petit fois at the end of the meal. This never came, which was extremely disappointing! When we had checked-out they rang us later to say they had forgot to charge us for the champagne, which is baffling considering they remember to do this but don't remember something they had arranged with me months in advance! After writing an email to highlight these points, they don't even bother to respond.

Overall I was disappointed with the level of service and accommodation. Its a shame, because they have potential to be a great place to stay for a short break from London. For £150-£200 a night I would definitely recommend staying somewhere else.

1  Thank pinko888

Dear Pinko 888

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Crab at Chieveley.

Once again my most sincere apologies for any inconvenient caused to you.

In the email sent to you after my return to work I went through all your highlighted points, explaining some of them and apologizing for others.

Hopefully you decide to give the Crab another try in the future allowing us to give you a better impression of what we do.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My partner treated me to this place for my Birthday last year.
The room was lovely and clean and we had the added option of a hot tub which was lovely.
The location is tranquil and picturesque and the place itself is well kept and lovely.
The food was amazing and due to this we did come back again this year to eat there. I had the seafood platter which was huge and so enjoyable.
I definitely recommend this place and would stay again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Michelle L

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crab at Chieveley. I have passed all of your kind comments on to all of our staff and kitchen team who is more than delighted to read them.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Crab at Chieveley in the near future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Crab is a nice country pub, but it didn't impress us in line with its supposedly high reputation. Very thin walls make the small accommodation areas a tad noisy. Why people sacrifice space for what they think is trendy is beyond me. Our bed had a wooden "border" that was about a foot wide. Just design, and effectively taking two feet out of the space around the bed, which is significant in a small room. When this border doesn't even have rounded edges, so you need to be sober when walking around the room, someone has their priorities wrong........
Service generally good and friendly. Breakfast great, but don't do dinner with high expectations. The awards the Crab has won are probably a little dated. Shame really, as the service was very good, and the menu read very well. Certainly not up to what had been suggested in earlier reviews that we had read. I'd not recommend going there specially for the restaurant, but if you are nearby, it's certainly OK. We had dinner there in a party of seven, and all agreed with what I'm saying here.

Room Tip: maybe upstairs would be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Kiwikew2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crab at Chieveley.

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that your comments have been taken on board and dealt with accordingly.

In regards to the food, I am terribly sorry to hear that your dining experience wasn’t up to your expectations either.

All in all, all of the team and I were very disappointed that you didn't feel the food and accommodation wasn't anything special. I hope you decide to give the Crab another try in the future hopefully allowing us to give you a better impression of what we do.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Upon checking in, the toilet didn't work, electricity kept going off, no hot water, bed uncomfortable, room noisy, people in the spa room below us did NOT have any privacy in their hot tub experience, and we got to hear their pleasurable evening. Rat bait traps set out all around the hotel/restaurant. We checked out on July 18, 2014, and requested that the manager email us, and we have not heard, nor have we gotten a refund on the second night. Most uncaring staff except for one blond young lady who was apparently embarrassed and caring.

Room Tip: Stay far away from this hotel. I'm sure that all the good reviews were written by hotel staff...
3  Thank GoIrish47

Dear Golrish47

I have to admit I am very disappointed with your review and find your comments a little unfair and inaccurate.

I personally did refund you £125.00 and sent you an email just after your departure apologizing for any inconvenient caused to you.

Should you wish to discus your issues further, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Regards

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Took advantage of the Sunday evening special, which is bed, breakfast and evening meal. Very good value, and the room we stayed in "Gleneagles" was comfortable, clean and well themed. The Hotel is in a rural location with good views across the open fields, so a pleasure to sit outside on a warm evening enjoying a pint with the wife!! The evening meal was great, I had scallops followed by fish stuffed with crab, certainly one of the best meals we have had in a while. The restaurant staff were very attentive, without overdoing it, and the hotel manager was a comedian in disguise....did a good job making us and our next table visitors smile...
Breakfast was o.k., not as extensive as we have had in other hotels, but more than adequate, especially after the evening meal!!
Good location, good food, friendly staff...very good hotel. Will be going back as soon as we can fit it in...

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gleneagles room, which was uniquely themed, a reasonable view over the countryside...

Dear Withies

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind comments via Trip Advisor.

All of the team and I were delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience with us.

I have passed your comments on to a very grateful kitchen team, who was delighted to read that the food delivered was up to your standards.

Once again thank you for your lovely comments.

We all look forward to welcoming you to The Crab at Chieveley in the near future.

Warm Regards
Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
Hare and Hounds Hotel
Royal Oak
#1 of 1 in Yattendon
Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!