“THE MOST INCREDIBLE STAFF”
Review of Crab & Boar

Crab & Boar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
Berkshire
“THE MOST INCREDIBLE STAFF”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My husband and I took my parents to The Crab for a night away to celebrate their anniversary. We booked my parents into (I think it is) The Plantation Room which was fab, a four poster and a gorgeous huge japanese spa bath. My husband and I stayed in Treetops which was also great. There were a couple of very small problems when we checked in - namely that the champagne, choccies and flowers that I ordered were not in my parents room when we arrived, however that was soon rectified and also two glasses of champagne were sent to hubby and I as an apology.
We have stayed at The Crab before and had a great time (a friends 40th Birthday celebration), and this time was as good if not better. The food was fantastic, the front of house manager is wonderful and the evening was super.
The next morning I realised that I no longer could find my diamond Bulgari bracelet! We turned the room upside down. I called reception to see if by any chance someone had handed it in. I didn't think that it would be found as it is and looks very expensive, however, housekeeping had found it either the night before or early that morning and it was sitting safely in their lost property! Thank you to everyone at The Crab, how honest your staff are, and how grateful I am.
Just to comment on some other reviews...... the rooms are not perfect, but they are funky, fun and full of character - but you are paying from £100 to £150 per night including breakfast, and I believe that you get way more than you pay for. Everything in the rooms is very clean, and they are all styled beautifully. If you want somewhere with no character go to The Holiday Inn, if you want a charming place to stay, somewhere fun with great food, and wonderful staff - go to The Crab!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2009

After seeing this hotel in OK Magazine I took my boyfriend for a surprise evening get away. I booked the Friday night Dinner bed and breakfast deal and reserved the Bora Bora room with Hot tub. The setting is beautiful lots of rolling countryside and the reception area was very modern and stylish with big comfy sofas. I was especially keen to see the room branded by the hotel as 'famous'. It was clean, and the bathroom was very nice although the shower was disappointingly weak. The decor however was very tired, the soft furnishings were faded and the walls were crying out for a lick of paint. The Hot tub was lovely in the private courtyard garden. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were soft and clean. Dinner was fantastic and the service was brilliant, everything on the menu and specials were included in the Friday night deal. Breakfast was really lovely with dishes made to order like yummy eggs benedict. Overall a really lovely stay but was disappointed with the run down room.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raq108
UK
Reviewed 15 April 2009

We have eaten at the Crab many times & even stayed there 2 years ago after our Wedding, and normally we are more than happy with the food.

However, last night we went for a meal to celebrate our anniversary & then spent the entire night being ill.

We had a plate of canapes, & we can't be sure, but feel these may be the culprits. My husband & I both had the same starter of black pudding salad with Quail eggs, i then had Hallibut & my husband had steak. Within 30 mins of finishing our meal, we were both feeling very unwell, & went home, only to be physically ill all night.

We rang the crab to advise them out of courtesy, not wanting any compensation, but as we visit 6 or 7 times a year, thought we would do the right thing & let them know. THey were very defensive & simply said we had to provide a sample if we had been ill. Hard to do when it's all down the toilet! However, the reason we rang was so they could let the kitchen staff know in case anyone else was affected.

Very dissapointed in their reaction & have now re-thought plans to take 8 friends there next month. We won't be returning for a long time.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank snownsurf1
Reviewed 30 March 2009

The set 3 course lunch is very nice, although a bit bland, but tiny nouvelle cuisine portions, so best fill up with bread! The inside of the restaurant is very nice, but the drinks are rather expensive. The Sandy Lane room with the hot tub - bit dark and on the small side. Only one chair for sitting in to watch t.v., and this was not a comfortable one either. T.V. at the foot of the bed, so it has to be viewed through the wrought iron foot of the bed. Bit off putting. Hot tub - well this was lovely and warm, but as it was rather a heavy showery day, it would have been better had there been either a huge parasol, or at least two, so you could sit in the tub and be sheltered from the elements - whether cold wind or hot sunshine in the summer. There is one small umbrella. I did enjoy the experience, but probably would not go again. I did not sample the evening meal (took goodies from hom for a 'picnic' in our room) but that looked delicious - if very expensive.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2009

On arriving at the crab on a cold January afternoon we were greeted in the car park by a very friendly chap who would later turn out to be the Manager and on entering reception the warm welcome continued with a very helpful young girl showing us to our themed room - The Bora Bora!.

My wife had booked the romantic break which included complimentary Chocolates & Champagne which we duly popped and drank in our private hot tub in the small garden accessible through the patio doors from our room. I think the themed rooms are a fantastic idea but like most things we do in the UK they rarely meet expectations and we never seem to pull these things of with such skill and professionalism as our friends across the pond. Although very adequate and comfortable i think it was looking a little tardy and needed a bit more care and attention.

That said i was not ready for the gastronomic treat that awaited us in the restaurant that evening. We have both eaten in fantastic restaurants around the world but for me this has to rate as one of the best country style hotel/restaurants we have visited in this country, not for its surroundings or perhaps even the service as this for me was good but not amazing, the food however is the star of the show here and i would recommend anyone to visit the Crab.

Slightly over priced! but still, at the end of the day the Chef and his team should be congratulated not only on the quality and presentation but also on some ingenious combinations that really tantalise the taste buds, starters such as King Scallops with white chocolate and caviar and Home made black pudding with Fois Grais and apple & salternne jus just two of the things that blew us away. We could not stop smiling at each other as we tasted each others dishes both wishing we could of chosen again as we watched plate upon plate of simmilary fantastic dished coming out to other diners. I always find it so diffilcult to choose but with 12 amazingly sounding starters and main courses to choose from the crab does not make choosing easy by any means.

So all in all fantastic food and great staff helped make our stay exceptional and as soon as i have saved up to return the favour to my wife we will be planning a return visit.

• Liked — the hot tub
  • Disliked — starting to look a little tardy needed a bit of love and attention to a few details
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank flueyhall
newbury
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I went to the crab a couple of years ago and was very dissapointed,service and cost not matching the food we received or the time it took to come! So i was reluctant to come for a pre funeral family gathering but as my uncle was staying in the hotel we thought we would give it a go. We came on a monday night and the place was as busy as the car park made out(we parked in a field adjacent!!)We sat in a very smart new lounge but were surrounded by a throng of people and our drinks had not arrived after 10 minutes.On mentioning to the maitre d`hotel our wine had not arrived he promised to thrash somebody and said he would take us to a more cosy lounge where he promised us extra crab love!?! I pointed out my uncle (and his bag)had still not been checked in to the hotel, the bags were whisked away and he guided us through to a lovely little lounge adorned with maritime and horse racing memorabilia 6 delicious peach champagne cocktails were provided with the compliments of the house and our experience entirely changed. we were met with only warmth and laughter.The menu was extensive and varied but we were wowed most by the specials which had my mum howling with laughter and my dad reaching for his wallet! We only ordered main courses a turbot for three and a trio of lobsters each cooked a different way. We were given a lovely little starter course accompanied with delicious bread while we waited for our meal and we were not dissappointed when it arrived all were cooked to perfection. The coffee seemed to take forever but was accompanied by delicious home made chocolates,some were wrapped in a silver swan for my mum to take home.The bill came to over 300 pounds which is expensive considering we had only main courses,coffee and wine but the quality and the warmth of the crab is going to bring me and my family back i`m just going to have to save up !!

• Liked — the hot tub
  • Disliked — the cold shower
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank NewburyClaire
london
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Booked this for a getaway en route to the coast via Newbury racecourse.

Booked the Banyan Tree room. This is on the first floor in the eaves of the old pub fronting onto the road (not good if you are a light sleeper)

Check in was fine and the staff friendly.

The room itself is a little over busy as if they really had to prove it was the Banyan Tree and still had a little budget spare and had to get it spent. Bed was very comfortable and there is a huge flatscreen tv in the room. The bathroom is well equipped with both a hot tub bath and large walk in shower.

The restaurant is excellent - the meal served definitely in my top ten of all time - and the staff were friendly and attentive at all times. i would come back for the food alone next time - it simply was fantastic. scallops with caviar in a white chocolate sauce - wow!

Enjoy your stay and your meal!

• Liked — The Food!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bluetax
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Royal Oak
Royal Oak
#1 of 1 in Yattendon
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!