“Awesome little gem, hidden in leafy countryside.”
Review of The Jolly Woodman

The Jolly Woodman
Ranked #8 of 22 Restaurants in Burnham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A charming 18th century country pub offering home made food, a choice of real ales and a friendly atmosphere. Large beer garden, car park and of course dogs are allowed
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the Jolly Woodman as a fallback and were immediately engrossed in the great genuine British country pub atmosphere. Unfortunately the Dog had to remain in the car, but would have been allowed in the garden. The home made pies were astonishingly good. They've got their own secret chef who is a skilled artisan.
If you're looking for the county pub feel, this is your place, beautifully located on the edge of the Burnham Beeches.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

This pub was reccomended to me by a group of ramblers so I took my son and his girlfriend for lunch as a treat. The menu is a mishmash of pies,asian and all sorts. I ordered fish and chips which was very mediocre served with lukewarm tinned mushy peas. My son and his girlfriend had pies equally disappointing.The portions were skimpy and no effort had been made to make the food look apetizing. We sat in the garden which was ok but waited for over an hour to get our meals even though the pub was not even half full. The woman who served us was sourly and not serviceminded.On the way out I could not help noticing the dingy,worn interior,and the naff collection of nick nacks strewn all over the pub...I shall not return and I was annoyed as this was supposed to be a treat for us all!

5  Thank Helene H
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Arrived half hour before kitchen closed. We were greated by a friendly barman who gave us a menu & told us about the Sunday roasts on the specials board. The wife & I both decided to go for the 28 day hung steaks that came with all the trimmings. We got out drinks & sat outside the front. Well there was a meaty Truimph parked up to drool over :) Anyway the steaks turned up in a very respectable time & all was plated well with fresh ingredients. My wife had her steak medium while I went for rare & hand on heart they were cooked to perfection. The plates were sent back without a morsel on them. The chef came out later & said hi which is always nice. Have added this establishment to my satnav favourites & will be returning very soon. Tasty well cooked food, really friendly staff & a great setting with a lovely atmospher :)

1  Thank Rob70deg
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stopped here for lunch on our way home after a couple of days away. The pub is quaint and welcoming, the sun was shinning and plenty of people were sitting outside. We choose inside and the interior is very different but fitting for the Jolly Woodman. We had Robs homemade Sausages and Yorkshire Pudding delicious, even shared a pudding of Chocolate Sponge and custard. We look forward to calling in again at the Jolly Woodman.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

We turned up for a Sunday lunch to be pointed at a tiny, cramped table for two.
Seemingly more concerned with passing out mass produced, microwaved Sunday lunches, our veg was clearly done on mass in a jug of hot water and the beef...
This pub has been great in the past and is now really disappointing.

5  Thank resident_nobody