“Luxury room”

Burnham Beeches Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Burnham
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were really pleased with our stay at this hotel. I booked in April because we were looking for a place to stay suitable for my elderly mother in law. We stayed in two rooms on the ground floor so access was fine. The rooms were very good with the extra touches that make it feel luxurious. There were towelling robes and slippers and plenty of choice of drinks such as tea, coffee and chocolate. Breakfast was brilliant; there was nothing we could have wanted that was not available. The staff were all polite and helpful. Excellent - would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: We paid for a better room and it was worth it.
2  Thank SirTom755
Kate G, Sales & Marketing Manager at Burnham Beeches Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review.
I am so pleased to hear that you and your family so enjoyed your stay in your Executive Bedrooms. We really do feel that it is the little touches along with professional and friendly service that make the difference when staying in our hotel, and we are so pleased to hear that you appreciated that. It is also great to hear how much you enjoyed the wide and varied selection available at breakfast time.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Very much enjoyed our stay here. Booked an Executive room which had plenty of space, and away from the bar area. Used the swimming pool and sauna which are nice treat, although not huge. Being near the pool did make our room very warm so definitely make sure the AC is working in your room! Food in the restaurant is very high standard. All the staff were helpful and nice throughout the stay.

2  Thank Henrygp

Dear Guest,
Thank you for this great review.
We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and that you were so pleased with your Executive Room. All rooms located close to the leisure facilities are fully air conditioned.
It is great to hear that you had the opportunity to use our small but relaxing leisure facilities during your stay.
Your fantastic comments regarding the food during your stay, and once again I am thrilled to hear such lovely comments about our team. We hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were invited to a wedding in Taplow and needed to find somewhere reasonably priced to stay nearby. After much deliberation we settled on Burnham Beeches.

The approach to the property gave us a taster of what was to come. We did not realise that the hotel was within a nature reserve. Its ancient beech and oak pollards and the range of flora and fauna made it magical.

When we pulled into the driveway I was excited. The elegant face of the property coupled with its location within 10 acres of beautiful gardens and manicured lawns made it look like the peaceful retreat I was looking for.

It was my partners 30th birthday which I informed them of at the time of booking, so when we arrived and were informed that we had been upgraded I couldn't believe our luck. We were offered breakfast during our stay at a lower cost if we booked it upon check in so we decided that a treat the following morning would be in order. They kindly booked all of our taxis for us. Nothing seemed like too much trouble.

We stayed in the old part of the house, room 107. It was a beautiful room overlooking the lawn. It was nicely furnished and the bathroom was far from luxurious but it was clean and well equipt for the stay. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of draws and places to hang your clothes. Bathrobes were provided along with white fluffy towels. An iron and ironing board were on hand and a nice new kettle for those all important cups of tea.

The negatives. The room was very very hot but a quick call to reception and they provided a fan and air con unit. Unfortunately for the best part of our stay we had to have the curtains shut to keep out the heat and the window in the bathroom would not open or close. It was just a glass window, The shower seemed only to have a warm and hot setting and it was only on the last day that we discovered you had to be the Hulk to turn it around and the cold water cascaded out.

We had drinks out on the lawn a couple of times. The waiters were happy to serve you and came out to you and provided little coasters and nibbles. All the staff looked very smart. I truly felt important and made to feel looked after.

Unfortunately on our first night the people upstairs left their bath running and at about 7am water started coming through our bathroom ceiling. A quick call to reception and the duty manager was on the case. He cleaned up the water and provided new towels. We were unable to get back to sleep due to the constant creaking of the floor boards courtesy of the bath fiends. They were very active and it sounded like they were having a work out. Nevermind, not long now and breakfast would arrive.

The breakfast was devine. Creamy scrambled eggs, perfectly toasted bread, hash browns, succulent sausages and crispy bacon for me. My partner went for the full english. We had it delivered the room and it arrived with proper napkins and polished cutlery with closhes to keep the food warm. FYI if you decide to take a photo make sure you are fully clothed. The reflection from the closhes can be pretty damning when you upload it to facebook only to be told you have shared too much!!

The pool looked so lovely that we actually went out to buy new swimwear in Slough. The pool was a little warm for me but it was all very clean and the Jacuzzi bubbled with vigour. This coupled with the lovely breeze that came through the door that led out onto the back garden was so relaxing.

Day three, the wedding party arrived. A bouncy castle and an inflatable jungle run were put up for the children on the front lawn and the bar etc was over run. I felt in the way and that I was imposing on someone else's trip. We didn't dare go for drinks on the lawn. We were hoping to dine in the restaurant that night but changed our minds after I had no option but to confront children playing football and screaming outside of our room. This is obviously not the fault of the hotel and just one of those things. It was also unfortunate that for the first time we could pull back the curtains because the weather had cooled but then the wedding party had moved outside.

Overall I really liked this hotel and I would go back again. The service was amazing and had I of been a moaner then i am sure a lot of my issues would have been dealt with but I prefer to suffer in silence and this is why I rate the hotel as 4 out of 5 as I genuinely believe that they would have gone over and above if the opportunity presented itself.

Room Tip: If the weather is warm ask for an executive room because they have air con.
1  Thank emileee83

Dear Guest,
Thank you for such a wonderful and thorough review.
I am sorry to hear about the problems you experienced with your room, but pleased to hear about how these were dealt with by our team, and delighted that you were so happy with your stay overall.
We certainly are extremely proud of our beautiful building and grounds, and it’s great to hear that you had a chance to make the most of this during your stay. Similarly, it is wonderful that you had the chance to make use of our small but relaxing leisure facilities.
Your fantastic comments regarding the breakfast, the room and the attentive service have all been passed on to our team. Your comment of “I truly felt important and made to feel looked after” is particularly pleasing, as this is how we aim to make all of our guests feel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Burnham Beeches in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Generally our 2 night stay was fine but a few things let it down and there is scope for some little improvements that would make this a great hotel.

Our executive room was clean and tidy but was furnished with a double bed that was uncomfortably small. I always feel a bit short changed in a hotel that offers a double rather than a king particularly in a room that is branded executive or large enough to accommodate a bigger bed. Personally, I also found it incredibly uncomfortable being way too soft a mattress and giving me a sleepless night on our first night.

On returning to our room on the second day (I needed a nap), I was disappointed to find that the room hadn't been serviced at 15h30, which is pretty unacceptable I think particularly as a clean change of towels is left outside your bedroom door at around 9 am and left on the corridor floor until the room is serviced. On our final day, housekeeping burst into our room without knocking. So in terms of housekeeping there is certainly room for improvement.

The restaurant staff are great. The food is mixed. It is mostly ok but the prawn linguine I ordered the first night was beyond disappointment. It was linguine, a few fried prawns and some chile and parsley. No sauce, no seasoning. No real cooking. That said the other dishes we had were fine.

The candle lit restaurant is spread across two rooms, one panelled and romantic with white table cloths whilst the other is a more general dining room (no tablecloths). This didn't seem to go down too well with some of our fellow diners and is a little odd that half the tables have cloths and the others don't.

Final moan.... The small pool is far too warm. On my final day the temperature must have been around 32 degrees C, which made swimming uncomfortable. I have no idea why the water is heated to a level where you start to feel unwell? After a morning swim I did forget to rinse out a white swimsuit, which has now yellowed from chlorine exposure annoyingly. Entirely my fault but the fact that the chlorinated water was probably hotter than the recommended washing temperature didn't particularly help.

So a few little things that build up when you are only somewhere for 48 hours. As I say, the restaurant staff are great and sitting out on the lawn in front of the hotel is nice but the hotel could do with some more competition to kick it into shape.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked into Burnham Beeches Hotel as there was very little in the way of available accommodation in the area, so not sure what we were expecting. The reception staff were really helpful and upgraded us to an executive room, the room itself was not the biggest, but for one night it more than suited what we needed. The whole room was very clean, light and airy, we were a little concerned that our room which overlooked a smoking area near the bar was going to be a cause for concern, but having initially opened the windows we realised that the room had air con. We made our way to the pool, leisure facilities, and although very, very small we were the only people in the area so enjoyed an relaxing hour or so in the facilities all to ourselves. By late afternoon we had made our way down to the bar for a cold drink on a very warm day, the young man behind the bar suggested that we might like to sit outside the front of the hotel where they had a number of tables set up, I didn't get his name, but the service he provided was second to none, he was attentive but not in a way that you felt he was hovering, We decided to have a bar meal as it was so lovely sat outside, both my husband and me chose smoked haddock on crushed potato, which I have to say was perfectly cooked, the prices were no more than I would expect from a decent gastro pub, so very pleased we decided to eat in. We were leaving at 5am the following morning so can't comment on the breakfast, but just booked to stay again on the 18th Aug, and will hopefully have another good experience and be able to comment on breakfast. One amazing event was seeing a red kite with 3 little ones flying around the grounds.

Room Tip: See if they will give an upgrade, we were so grateful for the Air Con in executive room
1  Thank Sue B
Kate G, Sales & Marketing Manager at Burnham Beeches Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for such a lovely review, and for choosing to stay at Burnham Beeches Hotel.
It is great to hear that the team were able to upgrade your room, and that you were so happy with the hotel’s facilities. It is lovely to hear that you were able to relax in our leisure club, as well as make use of our bar, restaurant and extensive grounds.
We are very proud of the team here, and have passed on your kind words to our bar team. We have also passed on the fantastic feedback regarding the smoked haddock.
We very much look forward to welcoming back to the hotel very soon, and hope to make your next stay just as special!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel is in a beautiful , peaceful setting. The staff were welcoming. very polite and efficient. It is an ideal setting for weddings, so would avoid a weekend stay. It was a very hot night, I would recommend booking a decent room for more comfort in the hot weather, We had booked a cheap room, which was excellent value for money for the area. The loo seat in our room did need replacing! We would return .

Room Tip: Ask for a room with air con or wide opening windows
1  Thank Ann L
Kate G, Sales & Marketing Manager at Burnham Beeches Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
I am pleased that you chose to stay at Burnham Beeches Hotel, and that you enjoyed your time here. We are a popular wedding venue, but we are also a great location for a relaxing weekend away and our team work hard to ensure that all of our guests feel special and well looked after.
Your comment regarding the facilities in your room has now been seen to- thank you for bringing this to our attention.
It is wonderful to hear that you would return- we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked for a weekend spa break and upgraded the room, wished we hadn't now - the room was not serviced the two days we stayed, which to be honest is not really 4 star service in my opinion. The room was not really what we expected although pleasant enough although like an oven when we arrived so opened up the windows to let some air in. The room overlooked the front lawn which was full of wedding guests so no chance to sit out whilst that was going on, both days. We had rowdy wedding guests disturbing out sleep at 2:45am to about 3:15am and due to the room being so hot we could not close the windows. The spa down in the basement area was 90 degrees and so hot I could not enjoy the massage whilst sweating and asking to take the towels off so that I didnt pass out! The swimming pool is very small and was so hot it was like having a hot bath. The massages were very poor and certainly not something I would book again and at one point thought that she had actually left the room there was no pressure at all on my massage! The restaurant food was I have to say amazing and definitely worth its AA Rosette and would certainly visit again just for a meal. The reception staff were not very welcoming and when we complained about being woken up they could only move us to a higher floor - not that this would have alleviated the issue so not really that helpful. I would not recommend this for a spa break or to stay, unless you have air con in the room, but certainly the restaurant is worth a visit.

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the room you are being given before you stay there - make sure you have air...
1  Thank Mahoney1
Kate G, Sales & Marketing Manager at Burnham Beeches Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review – I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay on this occasion.
I do understand that with the arrival of the long-anticipated summer weather, some area of the hotel do get warm, so we have very recently invested heavily in new cooling systems. Additionally, all of our executive bedrooms are fully air-conditioned.
I am sorry to hear that the behaviour of other guests in the hotel disturbed your sleep. We do close the smoking terrace at 11pm, in order to minimise disturbance to our sleeping guests, but unfortunately we are unable to prevent guests from using the front lawn area. I believe our night manager did ask the guests to quieten down, but I am very sorry your sleep was disturbed.
Regarding your massage, I am sure you can appreciate that preferences vary person to person. It is a shame your preference regarding pressure was not vocalised during your massage, in order to enjoy it as much as possible. Unfortunately without feedback it can be hard to please everybody in this particular field.
As a hotel, we aim to make our guests feel as welcome as we can, and very regularly receive fantastic feedback on this, so I will certainly be looking into how we failed on this on this rare occasion.
I am however delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the food during your stay.
Sales & Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnham
Grovefield House
#2 of 19 in Windsor
Taplow House Hotel
Taplow House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Burnham Beeches Hotel? Share your experiences!