“We could not have asked for better Acommodation”
Review of Rosemount Hotel

Rosemount Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Buckie B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We were walking for a few days along the Moray Coast and booked in for one night. We arrived slightly early but were greeted with a warm and informative welcome. Our room (No 7) had a view 'that could not be bought' I was so reluctant to close the curtains when we retired for the evening. Our spacious room was immaculately presented & very comfortable. We loved the hospitality tray in the room which was fully stocked (loved the drinking chocolate:)) and after a hard days walking this was extremely welcome.

Breakfast was faultless and we liked the pre-order arrangement as I was able to order small portions plus the food I liked.

I have no hesitation in recommending the Rosemount - it’s what a B&B should be - thank you to our hosts - we plan to come back when we walk the Speyside Way.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank susanrAlyth
Ellen S, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am so pleased that you refer so favourably to our breakfast slips, embracing the whole ethos of why we operate them. Very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you again one day

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Ellen and Andy run a fabulous B&B - I personally recommend them to anyone visiting the Buckie area. A warm & friendly welcome awaits you as do immaculate rooms and facilities. And what can I say the breakfasts are top notch and you wont be disappointed!

Room Tip: Breakfasts are a friendly and sociable time (if you want them to be) and every time I stay I always...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Alister M
Ellen S, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you very much for your review. It is always a pleasure to welcome you each and every time you stay with us. As you quite rightly say, breakfast time at Rosemount can be a very sociable occasion and we find that the interaction between our guests, and us, is generally fun and generates a real buzz in the dining room. It is very important to us that all of our guests feel at home and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed in Rosemount last week, and despite the torrential rain we had a fantastic second stay, as usual the accommodation was superb, stunningly clean, usually brilliant Host! and the Breakfast was to die for! We love the idea of the breakfast slips in the room and what a treat breakfast is, fresh local produce, scottish Jams, local kippers, all superbly presented.

Having stayed here before the service (in our opinion) just gets better, Andy and Ellen never stop! they have a huge amount of local knowledge, gave us great directions to local (indoor) exhibitions, including various distilleries, castles and museums. This Guest house is a real Gem! we will be back for more of those kippers!

I recommend Rosemount and especially its hosts, but beware book early to avoid dissappointment as they are normally very busy, Rosemount is very close to the start of the Speyside way so you can work of the Hearty breakfast while taking in the wonderful scenery.

If you are intending to visit Speysideand Moray this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 7, Stunning View of the Morey Firth and over looking Buckie Harbour, 2 mins walk into...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah E

Thank you very much for your review. So glad you found our recommendations for local attractions helpful - I hope you found the time to visit the Fishing Heritage Museum here in Buckie as it is well worth it, and you can lose several hours in there when the weather is inclement! Hopefully we shall see you again very soon

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We originally booked a double ensuite room at the Rosemount for two nights. Later we asked to change the booking to three nights but the original ensuite room wasn't available for the third night so we had to settle for a room (Room 5) with private bathroom 'along the corridor'. The bathroom was down some stairs, across a landing and then up some more stairs. Not ideal. Both the bathroom and the bedroom were scrupulously clean but the shower temperature control was stuck, resulting in uncomfortably hot showers. On the first night I found the bed extremely uncomfortable. The mattress was very hard and the springs could be felt through the sheet and mattress cover. Next morning I asked about a mattress topper and, after discussion, Andy said he would change the mattress for a softer one.
The breakfasts were very good with fresh fruit and well cooked hot food but is it really necessary to have to decide the night before on your choice of breakfast and to stipulate the time you want to eat it?
When we came down to check out, Andy asked me if everything had been ok. I said that I didn't think our room could be called 4 star. At that point both Ellen and Andy became quite annoyed and were not interested in hearing what I had to say.
I've never felt moved to write a review on TripAdviser but the reaction I got from our hosts before we left made me determined to have my say. We won't back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joan W
Ellen S, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

Normally, we take any criticism and turn it into a positive, however, in this case, it is completely unfounded.

You did indeed originally book for 2 nights in a twin en-suite and when you called to change the booking, seemed rather annoyed that the same room was not available for a third night. I offered you an alternative room, fully explaining that it had a private bathroom (you enquired whether it had a shower as well) but that the bathroom was along the hallway. You did accept this room on that basis.

When you arrived you seemed very dissatisfied from the moment that you walked in the door, you showed no interest at all in what I was saying when I explained our very simple safety procedures of knowing who was and was not in the building, the keys for the doors, etc. You appeared even more dissatisfied when I showed you to your room, asked you to complete our registration slip (at your leisure), explained our breakfast slips, showed you the guest lounge and offered you tea or coffee. You did not state at this point, that you had a problem with selecting your choice of breakfast time or fare in advance. The reason that we ask our guests to do this is to cut down on unnecessary waste as every guest gets exactly what they want and also to keep our room costs down as if we did not ask people what they wanted we would have to assume that every guest could, potentially, want anything from the menu which would mean carrying excess stocks of wasting products which naturally leads to excessive waste which is something that we do not agree with.
You complained that your mattress (a six month old Airsprung Backcare Collection Ortho-Sleep) was uncomfortable as you had been ill and lost some weight so felt the springs. We duly changed that mattress for a new Silentnight Ultimate Collection Azure Mist mattress which you fail to mention in your review. Upon returning late that night you made so much noise in your room that guests in nearby rooms asked me the next morning if somebody was moving furniture “late last night” When we cleaned your room that day we discovered that you had clearly dismantled your bed and put blankets under the sheets so your motive was clearly to check up on us to see that we had changed your mattress. The next morning I asked if everything was ok and if you had slept better and you said that you had.

During your three day stay you mentioned nothing about a problem with the shower so did not give us any opportunity to look at this problem.

Upon checking out you mentioned to Andy that you did not consider our rooms to be 4 star. I was not present until after you had made this comment. When I arrived in the hallway moments later you mentioned that there had been water “pouring in through the bathroom ceiling down the light cable” The whole of Moray had been experiencing horrendous storms for the past two days. Yes, we did become rather annoyed at this point, purely because you had failed to tell us about a hazardous situation that could have endangered all of our guests. At this point, Andy left to immediately go to the bathroom to see where the water was coming in and I merely asked you why you did not feel that you should have told us about this to which you replied that it was late at night when you found it. Ironicially, it was around the same time that you felt the need to disturb us the previous night to correct your breakfast slip. There is no evidence of any water ingress in that bathroom.

We were not rude to you in any way, quite the opposite in fact, but you were so intent on getting out of the door to leave that you did not know what I was saying to your husband who looked rather embarrassed at your actions. I was thanking him for staying with us and wishing you a safe journey, as I do with all guests.

I would suggest that it is not us that are rude, more so you.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

A friend and I stayed here the night before starting to walk the Speyside way (we walked from Buckie to Aviemore). B & B was very clean and was a comfortable room. We had a great sea view and even saw some dolphins playing in the bay from the window in the early evening. Breakfast was nice and set us up for the start of our walk which is only about 400m along the road. I would recommend you book somewhere for dinner prior to arriving if its the weekend, we struggled to find somewhere as it was a Saturday night & there are not a lot of places in Buckie to choose from. nice accommodation & perfect if you are walking the Speyside Way

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank scotlandgirl88
Ellen S, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I would also advise guests to book somewhere in advance if staying at the weekend - anyone can ring us and ask for advice on this. We can also provide an evening meal if booked in advance - nothing fancy but guaranteed fresh, good, home cooking!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Delicious breakfasts and fantastic views. Comfortable setting and close to many ammenities. Ellen is very nice and a great cook. No drinking allowed on the premises or takeout food which was difficult as most restaurants in buckle are takeout places. Lots of parking out front if needed. Clean and friendly. Central location to beautiful sights and many distilleries as well as walking trails.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ellen S, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back one day. We're glad that you have highlighted Buckie to be ideally situated for the area - many people think that there is not much to do here until they arrive and see what there is on offer both here and in the surrounding area, so many thanks once again

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Having walked the Speyside Way from Aviemore to Buckie, we were pleased to find Rosemount a matter of 200yds from the end of the walk. Andy and Ellen were brilliant hosts and gave us a hearty welcome. Nothing was to much trouble and they catered for all our needs. The accommodation was brilliant and the breakfast superb. Situated at the end of the main shopping street with views out to sea, an ideal location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ellen S, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review - this is what makes what we do so worthwhile! Hopefully we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to Rosemount one day

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckie
Cullen Bay Hotel
The Station Hotel
#1 of 2 in Rothes
Kintrae Bed & Breakfast
The Mill House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Rosemount Hotel? Share your experiences!