“Awful. Will never go back.”
Review of Admirals Inn

Admirals Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Restaurants in Buckie
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Awful. Will never go back.”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We used to come here all the time as my folks have a holiday home in the area.
We came last summer for a meal and it was pretty good. Lovely specials menu, especially the fish. I am not an especially fussy person, however this review reads, but I like to get what I pay for and have a nice meal stress-free!
This time we were a bit early so we arrived and the lady took us to the conservatory where we had a drink while we waited for the kitchen to open. The pub seemed very busy with locals.
We both had a starter - chicken wings and brie wedges. These were fine. The wings were not very tasty but they were ok.
The problem I had was with my main course. I ordered Honey Chilli Chicken, with rice and a dressed salad.
All I can say is that what I ordered and what I received were totally different. The chicken I got was in a tomato sauce, very spicy but like an Indian curry. To be honest, I suspect I got leftovers of something else that the chef tried to disguise as this. Plus, at first it didn't come with the salad, I had to ask the girl about the salad and she seemed to imply that somehow I was ordering this as a side. I reminded her that it was supposed to be part of the main.
When the chef came out with the salad, I said to him 'is this honey chilli chicken?' and he confirmed it was. I felt he was either lying to me or he was incompetent and didn't know what Honey Chilli Chicken should (roughly) look and taste like. I couldn't finish the dish he gave me - it was disappointing to say the least. My husband had breaded pork fillet, I tried it and it was extremely bland.
When the lady (possibly a manager) came to take our plates, I told her that the menu was inaccurate and that what I ordered and received were two different things. She just said that she would say this to the chef. I suspect because HE knew that I was right, he didn't want to come back out to the table. I had hardly touched the chicken, or the salad (which had brown water at the bottom of the bowl - revolting). There was no apology and we were still charged for all of it.
I think this place caters for locals and possibly regular holiday makers from the caravan site.
They know that's where the money is, not in passersby that they don't recognise.
This meal spoiled what would have been a nice evening in an area that we both like.
One word: avoid.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jill S

Stonehaven, United Kingdom
“Great pub in Findochty”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a fine pub with friendly, welcoming staff in a great location overlooking Findochty harbour. Sat outside for a few drinks till dusk, before retiring inside to the conservatory to enjoy an excellent fish supper. Recommended.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Scotfree53
Edinburgh
“Harbourside Pub Grub”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The Admirals was handy for the cottage we rented and it's a really nice short walk past the harbour/marina on a summer's evening. The food is actually a step-up from bog standard pub grub and it's a good, varied menu. The conservatory area is bright and airy, the views to the sea are slightly obscured by the public conveniences although this was softened somewhat by the rain which was hissing down when we were there. One bonus was the colourful local 'entertainment' in the bar and, all-in-all well worth a visit. Oh, and they do take away too.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank jim_hEdinburgh
Aviemore, United Kingdom
“Good food - and it's a pub not a restaurant!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Looking at these reviews I did not have high hopes of this establishment, however it is the only place to eat in Findochty, so seeing as we were staying there in a holiday home we thought we would give it a go. Yes, the bar is busy with the locals, but it is a PUB which offers food and does not pretend to be a restaurant. We were seated, without booking even though it was quite busy, at a lovely table overlooking the marina. The started arrived, and I must recommend the Cullen Skink, which both myself and my wife enjoyed. We ordered different main courses, both of which were cooked just as we asked and came in a reasonable time. We had no problems with the staff who were very polite. A previous review mentioned that there were better alternative restaurants in the area, however we ate at several of them during our 2 week holiday and found this not to be the case. The pub has a lovely atmosphere and the we sat in the bar after our meal and they chatted away to us.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Speyside66
Midlothian, Scotland
“What's the problem!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Read all the reviews, good and bad, before visiting this pub. We were staying in the camp site next door an decided to give it a try. We ate twice in the week we were there and had one take away meal from the pub also.
On our first visit we did not book but had no problem getting a table, Had starters and a main meal which were cooked well and very tasty, we had previously ordered a drink at the bar when we arrived so had just taken the drinks through to the restaurant. We decided to get a take away meal on another night which again we had no complaints with. The portions were very generous and good value. Our last visit was on the Saturday night and we had booked a table. My husband had Cullen Skink to start with which was made as it should be with plenty fish and potatoes. We had fillet steak and haggis medallions served with chips and seasonal veg. Cannot fault this at all, the steak was cooked to perfection and was presented so well. We asked for another round of drinks and these were brought to our table, no problem at all. I think the prices overall are reasonable and the only thing that ruffled my feathers was that on the first night the young waiter asked us if we wanted our bill which made us feel a little like we were being pushed out. I like to have the bill we I am ready not when the staff decide it is time for me to leave. This was just a minor irritation and did not put us off and did not happen on our next visit. Overall staff are attentive and friendly. No hesitation in visiting again if in the area.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Cassie36

Been to Admirals Inn? Share your experiences!