Open today: 10:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
memorable visit

Despite difficulties to find the location - it's in the middle of old part of Tangerang with narrow... read more

Reviewed 22 September 2018
Budi R
Serpong, Indonesia
the pearl of tangerang

Reviewed 7 June 2017
asmyasonia
Serpong, Indonesia

All reviews old market traditional market chinese culture interesting history century knowledge peranakan cina menteng founded appreciation ornaments guide indonesia visitors shop
Reviewed 7 June 2017

Yes !Must visit! I believe it is not easy to take care or rather maintain this place. I really hope more people will acknowledge all the hard works of the founder and show better appreciation. We are not chinese nor Buddhist but we appreciate to learn new historical value and respect other beliefs.

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank asmyasonia
Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

Feeling adventurous, I took the train to Tangerang with the sole purpose of visiting the museum. I spent more than twice as much time in the commute compared to the time spent in the museum. Arriving at the entrance of the old market, I saw sign to the museum and walked on passing through locals housing and small alleyways. Almost missed the museum next to a butchers' corner. Arriving at 13.07, I was offered to join the group who started the tour at 13.00 - otherwise I'll have to wait for the next tour at 14.00. They told part of the history of Benteng-Chinese-Indonesian, far from comprehensive though. I should have waited til 2 pm and possibly do a solo tour but I didnt have anything to do to kill an hour.... the 40 minutes tour did add a little bit to my knowledge about Indonesian-Chinese culture. It would have been more interesting if they offered tours combining with visits to the nearby temples, the old market, connecting the dots. That would make it a live history lesson!

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 28 April 2017

Visiting this Benteng Heritage and if you are lucky, you will be guided and meet the owner, who will explain and answer about the Museum and the history of Chinese people who live in Tangerang and Jakarta.
Besides old, antique goods and articles, we should respect and give appreciation to pak Hubaya (the owner), who gives full effort to keep this museum.
Entrance fee is different for foreigner. And if you are lucky, perhaps you could join and taste the traditional foods and share some rupiah as your contribution. I suggest for foreigner to make a call first before visiting this museum, to make sure it will be opened on that day.
As the museum is located in the middle of wet market, it will be better if you explore the market first, try local dishes.

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed 14 February 2017

its the place for you tho know chinesse people from tangerang that known as Cina Benteng. you will know the history, and this place was the old house of chinese family

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

The rich history of Indonesian Chinese immigrants from the early 17th century is told at this quaint little private run museum. The guide was friendly and made an effort to help me understand the stories better by telling them half in English and half in Bahasa Indonesia.

As it's privately funded, there are still many things that could be improved. I do hope this place gets better recognition.

Date of experience: August 2016