“stand and deliver - highwayman robbery”

The Highwayman Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Kidlington B&B and Inns
Torrevieja, Spain
“stand and deliver - highwayman robbery”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I booked two nights at this hotel on arrival I was shown to room which is in a small out building in the car park.

I found that the room was dirty and draughty
front entrance door to out building was difficult to open and shut
the ensuite had no heating
the bed was a small single bed and my feet were hanging out the end (I am 1.8m in height)
the mattress had no mattress protector
the carpet was dirty
no waldrobe or hangers

I had no choice but to stay the night and next morning I spoke the manager and asked to be moved to another room because if the problems in room 7
He offered me another room (room 4) but I would have to pay extra to have it.
As I had already checked that there were no other hotels available for the next night I agreed.
there was no appologie from the manager he really gave the impression he could not careless.

Room was much better and when I went to use the shower in the morning there was no hot water
That is there was no water comming out of the shower when it was turned to the hot position.
The power socket in the same room was broken as was the ceiling light shade
No appologies from the maager
My advice stay well away

Just look at my pictures of room 7 this is a very small out building located out in the car park

Room Tip: My tip is stay well clear of this hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ethernol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I stayed here two days whilst at Oxford Airport.
Booked over the phone with a foreign girl, English was terrible, didn’t send me an email as requested.
Rooms are dated, but equipped with tea/coffee facilities and TV
‘Free WiFi’ was impossible to connect.
Chef on the morning was really nice and chatty.
Building work was going on during the day.
I could hear the person in the room above me snoring! I didn’t get the best night sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Aaron_Hall

Travellers are raving about these Kidlington hotels

Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Never in my life have I stayed in such a dirty, cold , damp b&b, we were never offered a breakfast although we were promised that because of our early departure Danny insisted " I'll sort something out " we were pressured into paying (no receipts) although there were problems with our room, shower, heating,WiFi not working , again we was assured " I'll sort it out ", could not wait to get out of there after a week of hell in room 2 ,which has one tiny window covered in mould! STAY AWAY!

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank cmak1
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2012

As I was working locally I was already staying at a B&B around the Woodstock area, but needed to find accommodation for an extra 4 nights, so I rang to book. After I had placed my booking I was told over the phone by the "receptionist" that I had 48 hours in which to cancel. The hotel cancellation policy which is on the website and I hasten to say that you can't rely on the general public for reading everything on the website, which I did not read. However the hotel's cancellation policy was not given to me clearly over the phone by the "receptionist"

When I tried to cancel this was explained to me by the hotelier and I was told that as I had gone into the 48 hours I would be charged for the whole booking, so I wasn't just charged for the one night at £50 but 4, in total I was charged £200, which brings me to my next complaint. As I had been staying in an establishment for £50 per night I assumed that the quality of accommodation would be the same.

Oh how wrong I was!!! I booked a single en-suite, when I got there I thought I would naturally been shown to a room in the main building in the converted old coaching inn, however I was shown to a room in an outside bungalow in the car park with no central heating. The room was small with well-used dated furniture which was a bed, table and bedside cabinet the en-suite was also very dated with mould on the ceiling above the shower and the window although small would not shut and let the cold air in. The only heating in the room was an electric wall heater which was far to close to the bed in such a small room and therefore a fire hazard. The hotel Wifi did not work and the whole room looked like it hadn't been cleaned properly in months as there was a thick layer of dust between the bed and cabinet, and the smell of the sheets although washed should have been binned a long time ago with that well used aroma about them.

At first I just put my bags in the room and went for dinner in the bar which was agreeable pub food then I went out for a few hours and returned to the room to have a shower which was very tricky in such a tiny shower and then as I was getting ready for bed, walking around the room I could see little flies hovering over the carpet, at the same time my bare feet were tingling, I put 2 and 2 together and decided I was not going to stay in such a room. By the time I had reached this conclusion it was past 11 pm and the bar had shut as it was a small establishment there was no obvious reception and I had not been notified of any other point of contact. So I packed and left.

I have been in contact with the hotelier since who has not offered to reimburse me for my bad experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the Highwayman!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank William A
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2012

The management of The Highwayman are really nice people. After a half hour chat with them over evening drinks, it’s obvious to anyone they’re hard working and really dedicated to providing a positive customer service.

At first, I couldn’t work out why the prices for this pub / B&B were so cheap, £39 paid in advance over the internet for two people in an en-suite room that had evidently recently been refurbished. Our room had new curtains, new carpet, new furniture, all tasteful, big shower room, everything was just so. It was spotlessly clean, too.

By six o’clock the next morning, I think I realised why the price was set at such a level. My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that the place is so cheap because the management would receive a plethora of complaints had the guests paid about £75 for B&B, the going rate for a normal double room in a country pub.

The problems seem to be two fold:

1) Lack of staff (for whatever reason) meaning that food is only available until 7.30 in the evenings. The lone cook, so it seems, apparently leaves the kitchen at 8pm sharp, so last orders for food is 7.30 or kitchen firmly closed.

2) Likewise, breakfast can’t be ordered until the dot of 07.30. We had a meeting 12 miles away at 08.00 and the cook was absolutely inflexible about the time he opened the bar for breakfast. “Yes”, he said “you can order a bacon sandwich to take away if you want, but you can’t order it before 07.30.” The result is that many folks with morning appointments effectively cannot receive breakfast at all, and I guess at £39 one thinks ‘ahh well, mustn’t grumble. . . ‘

3) Most importantly, the construction of the 5 rooms within a barn conversion block adjoining the pub itself, has evidently been performed just by using plasterboard, stud walling and joists for the first floor. As a result, there seems to be no soundproofing at all between the 5 rooms. All night we were kept awake by snoring, people using their loos, TV’s on until 1am, etc etc.

By 06.00 three guys from one company all left in their vans, and the noise of them leaving their rooms, slamming doors and talking to each other was as if they were all in our room.

In fairness, the management are really flexible regards evening food, and were happy to allow us a delivered Chinese meal to the bar if we wanted after 8pm. Unfortunately, nobody was around for us to give feedback on the noisy night we’d suffered, so hopefully they’ll read this.

Nice location, friendly staff, but not much use if you want to sleep well, if at all, eat dinner after 8pm or take breakfast early. Then again, what d’you want for £40!?

Room Tip: take earplugs!!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
manchester
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Had a couple of nights here as i was working just down the road.
Free parking right outside your room (always a bonus)
Good quality real ale served in the accompanying traditional pub.
Quality decent portions of food served in the bar .

Not the Ritz but for the nightly B&B price i would say its a bargain.
Very freindly staff on my visit.

Its a great location right next to the canal ,i can see it being a great spot for a pint and a meal in the summertime.

I would take no notice of some of these moaning gits on here ,what do they expect for the price?

Would i stop again DEFINATELY

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Very friendly staff and a great location on the outskirts of the city. I cycled the adjacent canal towpath into Oxford and up to Blenheim palace, Woodstock and surrounding villages.
I really do not understand the complaints made by other visitors. The hotel was clean and comfortable, if you expect 5 star facilities then expect to pay 5 star prices!!!
Very good value and I look forward to visiting again in the summer when the canal side location will come into its own.

Room Tip: I had a single room in the annex which was comfortable and had good free wifi.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kidlington
Holiday Inn Oxford
#3 of 44 in Oxford
Feathers Hotel
Feathers Hotel
#2 of 6 in Woodstock

Been to The Highwayman Hotel? Share your experiences!