The Highwayman Hotel
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$102
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Travelodge Oxford Peartree Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$53
US$49
Agoda.com
Jurys Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$97
US$155
Official Site
US$186
US$154
The Kings Arms Hotel and Restaurant(Woodstock)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Feathers Hotel(Woodstock)
US$155
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
US$130
US$109
All reviewsevening foodsix nightsco ophighway manfull englishbeds were very comfortablehotel is locatedensuite bathroomample parkingtea coffeestayed here for one nightlovely roomblenheim palaceyogurtoxfordcharacter
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Great welcome and service from the staff and lovely breakfast.
The room was very basic, smelt abit musty and damp. The shower did not work properly, went either stone cold or near the boiling. We didn't even bother with a shower on the day we left!
When we turned the bed covers over, to our horror we found other people's hair on the sheets.. Very off putting. The pillows were thin and we did not get a great nights sleep.
I could hear someone snoring in the room above and actually using the loo!!
We will defiantly not be staying here again..
Sorry guys..

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Staying six nights we were welcomed and assisted by all members of staff and locals at all times.
Settled next to the canal in a beautiful countryside location, clearly the hotel cater for many different clientele and they look after their locals also.
There are only two short comings for this hotel one being the buses which are restricted after certain hours, if you do not have your own transport and the other the sound proofing of the building due to the age of the property and if you like a 'full English' breakfast full marks to the chef it was delicious.
Would we return ? most definitely

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I stayed her in the middle of June and must confess to be baffled by the bad reviews. Other than a housekeeping problem when we checked in which we really should have drawn to the management's notice we had an excellent two nights stay. Our room [no.1] was excellent, our stay was made all the better for a leaving function on the Friday night for a member of staff. We ate both nights in the hotel eating from the English menu although an apparently excellent Indian menu was also available, as regards the staff no matter which one we dealt with we experienced nothing but friendliness In short we would go back to The Highwayman tomorrow.

Room Tip: Although room 1 was excellent it was on the ground floor and any late coming guests above could be heard due to the age of the building
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

When I read the other bad reviews of the this place I thought they were being too harsh, but our experience confirmed everything bad others have said about this place and worse. DO NOT STAY HERE - absolutely NOT recommended. Highway robbery indeed. Have any of the staff had any hospitality or customer service training? My guess is not. Especially the bar manager Chris who is definitely not a fan of 'the customer is always right', or a graduate of charm school. Basic manners have passed him by.

I made a booking over the phone, which was fine and they seemed very friendly (obviously I didn't speak to the politeness-bypassed Chris). Our plans changed and so a few days out we requested that our friends stayed the first night of the booking with their two kids and asked for an extra mattress to be put in the room. This also seemed fine. It turned out the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing - when they showed up the message hadn't got through. It seems not only is there a manners bypass in this place, there is also a marked communication failure. I received 6 phone calls trying to clear it up. Honestly 6! How difficult can it be? It was an extra mattress and we were happy to pay a surcharge.

The next day we arrived and I checked personally that they had got the message our friends would be leaving and we (a couple) would be taking the room for the second night, as originally booked. One person (a seemingly friendly barman/receptionist) told me that was fine and the room would be refreshed and told me to keep hold of the key. What could be simpler?

We got back to the hotel around 8pm to be confronted by the screaming, mincing Chris who practically attacked us in the carpark demanding to know where 'his' key was and informing us that our booking was cancelled and we were out on the street. No reason given other than we confused them by having our friends stay the night before. Apparently this was a 'sub-letting' infringement, a step too far for a professional hotelier (who does this every day of the week) to deal with. I mean blimey, I wasn't trying to buy a house, or negotiate a mortgage. I was just booking a room for a different set of people one night, and another the next. Let me just check the dictionary, but isn't this the definition of the hotel? Not according to Chris. He was very upset - the crime of the century. And then went on to demand the key back, saying he would charge us for the room anyway and threatened to call the police. Interesting. An over-reaction no? We had the key, but then we had made the booking, had been told we would have the room nice and refreshed for us, and were then being told by him that we were going to pay for it anyway. Hmmm. I was looking forward to the Police arbitrating that one - but as it turned out, Chris was making empty threats. Diddums.

A big argument ensued, in front of all his customers in the bar (all 6 of them). They seemed to be quite enjoying it. Maybe this is the chosen spectator sport in this part of rural Oxfordshire. Perhaps there is little better to do and they are in need of this kind of entertainment. (I'm speculating here, granted.)

Chris refused to give us the room. We refused to pay for the second night. We insisted on a receipt for night 1, which he gave us, begrudgingly. And we went off to seek our fortune somewhere else. Somewhere with a customer services policy - or just good old fashioned manners.

Chris, if you're reading this I know you have my phone number. Please don't call. I know you have my credit card details. Please don't use. I will be checking.

And Chris, some careers advice. A customer facing, people oriented environment outside a closed circle of your own mates, is not for you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank jess T
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Have recently stayed at this so called hotel, please take heed of this and other reviews and don't go. The hotel website describes its self as the best hotel in Kidlington, if this is the best I would hate to see the worst!
The room was little more than a glorified cupboard very very basic and worn. They did not even provide soap in the bathroom if you could call it that. I stayed two nights and the room was not cleaned or the bed made during my stay.
Apart from breakfast I did not see anyone eating there for bar meals etc. the outside of the hotel is awful there is overflowing rubbish skips and piles of what looks like building rubble and wood. There is also two old broken down caravans on the car park right outside two of the 'rooms'.
They have what is classed as a certified location for caravans on a scrap of land at the side of the hotel, I think that I am right in saying that this should be limited to five caravans. When I was there it was occupied by six vans all crammed together and surrounded by the car park, an industrial estate and a busy main road. Sounds like a good place to stay, I think not.
So take my advice and steer well clear of the place.

Room Tip: There isn't one
Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family