“Value OK but lacking attention to detail and won't rush back”

The Highwayman Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Kidlington B&B and Inns
Scotland
“Value OK but lacking attention to detail and won't rush back”
Reviewed 24 October 2010

The Highwayman has a nice setting by the canal and the exterior is quite picturesque with a good beer garden. It is very handy for Oxford Airport which is only a few minutes walk away.

I think hotel is a bit of a strong word to describe The Highwayman, possibly pub with rooms would be more appropriate. They messed up the bookings for some of my friends and tried to make them pay for two nights when they had only booked one, but this issue was eventually resolved. When I arrived, and checked in at the bar, I did feel that I seemed to be a bit of an inconvenience to the normal life in the bar. It is the only time in my life I have ever been expected to pay for a room in full before I slept in it.

I think most of the rooms are in the main building, but my room was in a separate out building just behind the main building. It was quite compact with a small en-suite shower room, but it was satisfactory for one night. Cleanliness was OK, apart from some hairs still in the soap dish, but it was lacking in any little touches like complimentary toiletries or any ‘hotel’ & local information. This was not an issue for me as I had my own toiletries with me and I am very familiar with the surrounding area, but one thing I did need was an iron and board. When I went to ask for these at the bar, you would think I had asked for a one way self drive spaceship to the moon with the initial reaction I got. I was in a bit of a hurry, but eventually, with no sense of any urgency, a working iron was produced, but no ironing board. I ended up doing my ironing on the floor in my room. Getting dressed was a bit awkward as, though there was a small mirror above the sink, the main mirror in the room was resting on the floor rather than being hung on the wall.

I never bothered with breakfast, but I guess it was served in the bar as I don’t think there was a separate dining room. Nobody told me when I was expected to check out, but I left just before midday and this didn’t seem to be a problem.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank FlyingScotsman85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kidlington
Holiday Inn Oxford
#2 of 44 in Oxford
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,149 reviews
Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel

Been to The Highwayman Hotel? Share your experiences!