“Enjoyable Meal & Evening”
Review of Mayflower

Mayflower
Ranked #19 of 29 Restaurants in Kidlington
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: We provide authentic Szechuan dishes and Chinese food for dining in, take away and deliveries.
Brackley, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Meal & Evening”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We came New Years Eve we reserved a table a bit shocked though at the request of £10 pp to reserve the table! So that was £50 to reserve, they were busy so guess they did not want people not turning up. The food was lovely we had the set menu but they were very accommodating and we changed one of the starters. The service despite been busy was prompt and courteous. We went last NYE too. We will definitely be back.

Lee J, Owner at Mayflower, responded to this review, 4 February 2015
Thank you for the great comment. We will do our best in the future to serve our customer with better food and service in the future.

From:
The new management team of Mayflower

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Such a shame, but I was wrong”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I hate to say this, but having had a good 4 star experience at this place the first time I used it (see below), I was really disappointed to have a second experience that really was quite terrible. I'm hoping that this was just an unlucky occasion brought about by a busy Saturday night, but all the food was chewy and borderline inedible! Such a let down as I was all ready to make this my local given the good prices; since then I've avoided the place. When there is such a lot of choice locally you can't muck about. I may give them one more chance but for now I'll perhaps hope they read this review and make sure they make an effort with every one of their dishes, not just the odd one or two.

Lee J, Owner at Mayflower, responded to this review, 4 February 2015
Hi neurotictraveler, I'm really sorry to hear that from you. We had just took over the restaurant/take away since August 2014 and there are a lot of compliments about the food that we cook. I hope that you can come and support us again in the future and we will do our best into serving all our customers good food.

With regards,
The Management Team of Mayflower
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Service charge is only payed for a good service not by law”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Having just been to the mayflower in kidlington oxfordshire, I can only say that I have come away rather disappointed and feeling quite upset by the appalling service that the staff give here.

To start on a positive note, the food was what you would expect from a Chinese restaurant, although the chicken satay starter was chewy everything else was good, came out on time and was served hot. The prices of the food were average. But when it came to the service I cannot say that I was totally happy.

As a group of four, two of us ordered a bottle of rose wine to share and the others beer and a coca cola. The waitress happily poured us our wine, although I did have to pass my glass to the other side of the table on her request, which I did find a bit lazy to be honest. As soon we had taken a sip of wine she was back again topping up the glass right to the top without asking if that was what we wanted. This happened numerous times until the bottle was empty. On pouring the last glass of wine she emptied the bottle into one glass and didn't pour any into the other glass. Like any other restaurant it is expected that the waiter/waitress would pour you your first glass of wine but not to constantly hover around your table just waiting for you to take a sip of wine so that she could fill your glass again. I felt as though I was being rushed and also felt uncomfortable when trying to have a quiet meal. It didn't feel as though there was any privacy at all. So as we finished our meal we asked for the bill which the waitress bought over to us. When we opened up the bill the first thing that we noticed was that it was not itemised. All it had was two words (drinks and meal), a total price for each, a service charge value and a cumulative value at the bottom. As we put the money down on the table the waitress came and took it and then counted it in front of us, something else which is not professional. As we decided not to put the service charge down due to the poor service we were given she told us that we had underpaid . So after this I went and asked her for two things. First of all I asked if I could have an itemised receipt of what we had paid for and second of all if we could have an explanation as to why we had to pay service charge when it is optional. By this point a male waiter had involved himself and then reluctantly wrote out a handwritten receipt which I find bizarre in itself. As this was happening I asked again about the service charge. The waitress replied that every restaurant does it and he replied that I was the first customer that he had that had complained so basically I had no right to complain about it. He then went on to say that it was clearly stated on the menu. By then looking on the menu I realised that it said there was a service charge for tables of four or more, which is fine but again it is an optional fee. I found that the waiter and waitress did not care about what we had said the male member of staff was particularly rude. He was constantly speaking over me and would not listen to what I was saying to him, and just kept repeating the fact that I was the only customer that had a bad thing to say about the mayflower. There was no apology and they did not show any empathy towards us. As they say the customer is always right. And I also think it's fair to say that the way customers are treated here is disgusting. I felt as though the waitress wasn't over serving us because she cared about her customers it was because she was looking for a reason for us to not have a problem with paying the service charge. They still did not give our service charge back and so we have come away having paid a service charge for a service that does not reach expectation!!

Lee J, Owner at Mayflower, responded to this review, 4 February 2015
Hi Jessica, i'm really sorry to hear that from you. Please do come and try us out again as we had just took over the restaurant since August 2014. I can promise you that our staff will not do the same mistake again and i hope that you can gain some confidence in us again. Thanks.

From Mayflower Management Team
“Impressed”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This place will certainly become a regular fixture in my life now as, unbeknown to them, my last order with them was a test! Were they fit to become my new favourite take away joint? New to the area, I was hoping they would impress, and impress me they did. The food was good, if not quite up there with the best of the best, the service was brilliant and friendly, and they delivered quickly. And our whole meal was so cheap it blew my minuscule mind. Will going back again and again so I hope they keep up the good work. It's always great when you move into an area and the local cuisine can deliver, in more ways than one in this instance!

• Visited October 2013
Lee J, Owner at Mayflower, responded to this review, 4 February 2015
Hi, thanks for supporting the Mayflower. We had just took over the place since August 2014 and we hope that you can try our food. Thanks for the support again and we look forward to you coming into the restaurant again.