“Oh dear”

Ranked #17 of 28 Restaurants in Kidlington
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: We provide authentic Szechuan dishes and Chinese food for dining in, take away and deliveries.
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Well as it was a special occasion we thought we would try somewhere new. We had had a take away from the May Flower many moons ago and it seemed ok so we thought we would have a sit down meal.

We parked up outside next to a car that appeared to have been abandoned across 2 parking spaces (I know this seems unimportant, but it is a point we will get back to later)

We where eventually greeted and shown to our table after we entered the resturant. The Restaurant was empty apart from one other party which we where seated right next to! I have to admit that the decor is nice and in style with what you would expect from a Chinese restaurant.

We ordered some drinks and they turned up with complementary prawn crackers. As we were deciding what to eat. My partner noticed out of the windows (we could see where our car was parked) the owners of the slap dash parked car walked out of the resturant pushed the wing mirrors in on our car whilst having a laugh about it. My partner rushed out side to ask them why they felt that was necessary, they shouted some abuse and wheelspan up the road. (Keep with me on this it is like an Agatha Christie script)

So anyway we ordered a set menu with a few extras, the food I would rate somewhere between nothing special and Poor.

The waitress was like being served by your an enthusiastic grandma she would come shuffling up to the table with a huge smile, she was polite and pleasant but would disappear for large amounts of time which lead to long waits between courses.

As there was only ours and one other table in use for the whole time we were having our meal, it was like having a meal in a library (I know this is not really the restaurants fault) however I am sure a bit of piped in background music would of lifted the mood a bit.

Then when we asked for the bill. As mentioned in other reviews there was no itemisation, just Food, Drink... and then what I first though was the latest update on Greece National debt, so when we finally found a late night bank that would let us remortgage our house on the fly. We where then told that the card machine was not working very well, followed by "Get Cash, Sainsbury's"
We finally convinced the waitress to try the card machine, which took about 5 minutes to print out a recite. Happy times, no jaunt to Sainsbury's for us.

So as we were leaving, guess who was sat in the bar waiting to deliver the next phone order... You guessed it the slap dash parking pair...

All they need now is for Brasil Fawlty to be behind the bar.

1  Thank A_Welshman_in_Oxford
Lee J, Owner at Mayflower, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Hi Welshman, i'm really sorry to hear that from you. Please do try us out again because we had removed all the drivers who are not respecting the customers and we had made some adjustment in our restaurant and such. Please come back to try us out. Thanks.

With regards,
The Management Team of Mayflower

There are newer reviews for Mayflower

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Went here recently with friends and family to celebrate a special occasion. I did not arrange the gathering but was a guest and agreed with others that they did not give us enough food for the price the head of the party paid as well as the standard and quantity of food. I am pleased to say that this is a local restaurant that will now be easily overlooked in the future.

Lee J, Owner at Mayflower, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Thanks for the advice Oxgeezer, but rest assured that the food and service which are provided in this restaurant are getting better as we had just took over this place since August 2014. Please come in and try us again and i'm sure that you will have a wonderful time here.

From:
The Management of Mayflower Restaurant

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We came New Years Eve we reserved a table a bit shocked though at the request of £10 pp to reserve the table! So that was £50 to reserve, they were busy so guess they did not want people not turning up. The food was lovely we had the set menu but they were very accommodating and we changed one of the starters. The service despite been busy was prompt and courteous. We went last NYE too. We will definitely be back.

Lee J, Owner at Mayflower, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Thank you for the great comment. We will do our best in the future to serve our customer with better food and service in the future.

From:
The new management team of Mayflower

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I hate to say this, but having had a good 4 star experience at this place the first time I used it (see below), I was really disappointed to have a second experience that really was quite terrible. I'm hoping that this was just an unlucky occasion brought about by a busy Saturday night, but all the food was chewy and borderline inedible! Such a let down as I was all ready to make this my local given the good prices; since then I've avoided the place. When there is such a lot of choice locally you can't muck about. I may give them one more chance but for now I'll perhaps hope they read this review and make sure they make an effort with every one of their dishes, not just the odd one or two.

Lee J, Owner at Mayflower, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Hi neurotictraveler, I'm really sorry to hear that from you. We had just took over the restaurant/take away since August 2014 and there are a lot of compliments about the food that we cook. I hope that you can come and support us again in the future and we will do our best into serving all our customers good food.

With regards,
The Management Team of Mayflower

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Having just been to the mayflower in kidlington oxfordshire, I can only say that I have come away rather disappointed and feeling quite upset by the appalling service that the staff give here.

To start on a positive note, the food was what you would expect from a Chinese restaurant, although the chicken satay starter was chewy everything else was good, came out on time and was served hot. The prices of the food were average. But when it came to the service I cannot say that I was totally happy.

As a group of four, two of us ordered a bottle of rose wine to share and the others beer and a coca cola. The waitress happily poured us our wine, although I did have to pass my glass to the other side of the table on her request, which I did find a bit lazy to be honest. As soon we had taken a sip of wine she was back again topping up the glass right to the top without asking if that was what we wanted. This happened numerous times until the bottle was empty. On pouring the last glass of wine she emptied the bottle into one glass and didn't pour any into the other glass. Like any other restaurant it is expected that the waiter/waitress would pour you your first glass of wine but not to constantly hover around your table just waiting for you to take a sip of wine so that she could fill your glass again. I felt as though I was being rushed and also felt uncomfortable when trying to have a quiet meal. It didn't feel as though there was any privacy at all. So as we finished our meal we asked for the bill which the waitress bought over to us. When we opened up the bill the first thing that we noticed was that it was not itemised. All it had was two words (drinks and meal), a total price for each, a service charge value and a cumulative value at the bottom. As we put the money down on the table the waitress came and took it and then counted it in front of us, something else which is not professional. As we decided not to put the service charge down due to the poor service we were given she told us that we had underpaid . So after this I went and asked her for two things. First of all I asked if I could have an itemised receipt of what we had paid for and second of all if we could have an explanation as to why we had to pay service charge when it is optional. By this point a male waiter had involved himself and then reluctantly wrote out a handwritten receipt which I find bizarre in itself. As this was happening I asked again about the service charge. The waitress replied that every restaurant does it and he replied that I was the first customer that he had that had complained so basically I had no right to complain about it. He then went on to say that it was clearly stated on the menu. By then looking on the menu I realised that it said there was a service charge for tables of four or more, which is fine but again it is an optional fee. I found that the waiter and waitress did not care about what we had said the male member of staff was particularly rude. He was constantly speaking over me and would not listen to what I was saying to him, and just kept repeating the fact that I was the only customer that had a bad thing to say about the mayflower. There was no apology and they did not show any empathy towards us. As they say the customer is always right. And I also think it's fair to say that the way customers are treated here is disgusting. I felt as though the waitress wasn't over serving us because she cared about her customers it was because she was looking for a reason for us to not have a problem with paying the service charge. They still did not give our service charge back and so we have come away having paid a service charge for a service that does not reach expectation!!

Lee J, Owner at Mayflower, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Hi Jessica, i'm really sorry to hear that from you. Please do come and try us out again as we had just took over the restaurant since August 2014. I can promise you that our staff will not do the same mistake again and i hope that you can gain some confidence in us again. Thanks.

From Mayflower Management Team