“Needs to improve on the customer service and loaction a bit far”
Review of Hotel De' La Ferns

Hotel De' La Ferns
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Tanah Rata
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel in the Deluxe-King room for 2 nights.
Had specially requested for a early checkin since we were supposed to reach early from the overnight bus travel. The front desk reception was not helpful regarding the same.
Breakfast was ok. The breakfast closes at 10.00 AM and we reached at around 9.30 AM next day but was out of stock with most of the eating options.The staff also informed that they were not planning to refill the stock. Found this a bit odd
Locationwise - The hotel does not have any restaurants at a walking distance.The city centre isaway and not within walking distance
There is a restaurant at the hotel with limited food options and the only other restaurant nearby is the steamboat restaurant

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank priyanka p

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel wasn't my first choice, but hotels of my choice were fully booked in late May for a Nov stay!

It's a nice hotel and the staff is courteous. There was no noise issue although our window was facing the main street. We didn't have any problem with wifi, as noted by some reviewers.

However, the location is not ideal for those without a car. You have to take a taxi pretty much everywhere. There's only a steamboat restaurant and a gift shop next to the hotel. The town of Tanah Rata is 2 km away and it's uphill coming back (there are solid sidewalks so walking wasn't as bad as in most other Malaysian cities).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlobalKuidaore
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Cameron Highlands is not an estranged holiday choice for me and my family. I may say with many old hotels around yet carrying it's brand that people flock these edifice. Among them I is Equitorial Hotel in Cameron which I visited a year or two ago. It was a badly maintained and non-renovated facility to keep up with it's 21st century customers' expectations.

This time around I decided to book in Hotel De' La Ferns. Although I despise any restaurant, hotels or anything else that uses the abbreviation "De" in its name. (To me "De" is a prefix that undo, reverse, do the opposite, or reduce the Noun to something negative.) But passing it few time during my last visit, finding the location in Tanah Rata and the typical french facade wanted me to try it out.

Booking online was an ease and I was confirmed a reservation in 10 mins. The room rate was neither cheap nor excessively expensive. Since I was there for only one night it doesn't seemed to burst my pocket. I may say otherwise if it was bit longer. Whatever it is, you pay certain value and we customers expect certain standards, quality and service.

Here's my story.. upon arrival, I drove my car straight to the car park where my bay was less than 10 metres away from the porte-cochère. There stands a male hotel staff at the door. I was with my baby, outerwear and luggages doing all the unloading, carrying all and sharing the load between me and my wife up the steep stairs to the reception without any offer to help by the blasè-bystander-hotel staff. Nonetheless, he had a cheek to offer me a mere smile.

Checking in was quick only because I was the only one checking in then. I asked if she had given us a room with a good view.. With sinister she said, "you have a gold course view" (not knowing later to my surprise). I trusted her and not another question asked. We were asked to go to our room by ourselves (hotel staffs here are like.. here's your key and go figure.. you didn't even need help to bring your luggage up to the reception. We don't think you need help to find your room). The same blasè-bystander-hotel staff took finally took our luggage and brought in to the room within 5 mins later (again, only because we were the only one checking in). Still an initiative, I tipped him RM5.00. He could have gotten RM20.00 if he had been attentive the moment i place my brakes on in the hotel compound.

As we landed on our floor and turned into the alley leading to our door, we were welcomed by dining chairs stacked up to the ceiling all along the alley of 3 feet. Leaving us 2 feet to walk through. However, as we entered. The room was above expectation with good bed, pillows and clean white sheets and duvets. It's not the best but 5 notch higher than the last hotel I stayed in, which was the Equitorial Hotel. Unfortunately, I was given a King Deluxe room with only one tiny window where as the rest had at least larger window openings if not a balcony. I was given none of such described. I asked the reception why am I short changed for the same price and they said I booked late and that's the only Deluxe King available. Terrible answer from untrained hoteliers around. (Must be some family-run motel business in their previous life). 15 mins later I called for room service to deliver a praying mat. i waited for 10 mins never came so proceed with prayers without a mat. My wife and I decided to go out and came back 2 hours later the mat still yet to arrive. Only later that afternoon room service came knocking with the mat in his hands. That is after I reminded them.

Later that evening, I was aghast to suddenly smell cigarette inside my room, when I only have a small window to assume cigarette smell came from outside. Plus I had the window closed. I told this to my wife if she sense similar and traced it to actually coming out from the bathroom ventilation duct at the shower ceiling. Concerned of my baby inhaling cigarette smoke, I immediately complained to the reception. Of course I had expected, and to no surprise all they could say was sorry and they cant trace the room with smokers inside. Again, no offer to change our room and let the baby suffocate.

I had to request for a fan to solve the problem as the room with a small window had a very bad ventilation and air circulation.

It was just one night thankfully and we were on our way packing the next morning. Without any further apology or even a 5% discount for all the trouble. I don't see it coming if they don't realise what went wrong.

Sadly to say, a hotel with a lot of potential to be more than a 3 star hotel yet poorly managed with poor service. I seek the owners of this hotel to either sack your hotel manager for his/her inability to comprehend basic "dummies for hoteliers" and what service is all about in the "Service Industry" or train your hotel staffs including your hotel manager (if you do not have a professional hotel manager with extensive experience in hospitality, do hire one) because these little things here and there will eventually marked a huge hole someday and ruin all your investments. Once hotel been marked negatively, it'll take years to come back to its feet. Before its too late, do something because I do intend to come back to your cosy hotel. The least if you know you have no better room to offer, you tell the customer upfront and offer options. Either you upgrade them if the similar standard is not available or your give them a discount or price such unpar rooms at a lower price. Simple logic isn't it? Customer only want to be treated fairly, given the same value with what others paid similarly.

Also, please change its name. I believe to name the hotel simply "The Fern Hotel or Hotel La Ferns" is sufficient to be outstanding. The word "De" reflects perfectly your lacklustre service.

Nonetheless, the breakfast is good and I love the steamboat that my wife and I had over dinner. Restaurant staffs must be commended for their friendliness.

Room Tip: Do not take the corner room as it has only one small window. Bad air circulation and stuffy at night...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tzargalahad
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Room was a typically average room but it was clean and tidy, the bathroom is dated and shows the dirt from age. The main door is very thin and there was a lot of hallway noise.
We had problems with getting the free Wifi to work in the rooms and unfortunately the staff were not very helpful in getting it working.
I personally thought that the price of the room was a little pricey for what you get, but it is the same on matter where you stay in Cameron Highlands.
We had steamboat in the restaurants and the manager was great there was four of us and when we ordered we ordered for four people, however he told us that 3 would be enough and he was so right.
It is about a 5 minute drive to the Gold Course and about 10 minutes into the main part of town.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kev_deb2012
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Reasonability price. Rooms are clean. Excellent location if you looking for a quiet up class hotel. Short distance to Cameron Golf Course. Good food & gift shop next door to the hotel. Need to drive 15mins up to town centre if you looking for hardcore shopping

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tanjm348
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Oh, so soft pillows, a bed that you becomes one with you, oh so comfortable. Good breakfast, but you need a sweater for sleeping it’s so cold. Scenery from the hotel is beautiful. Good location for driving to strawberry farms, tea plantations or Brinchang; the latter is quite tacky. Steamboat restaurant next door. We were in a Junior Suite so it had to be good for the price we paid!

Room Tip: Very busy during holiday time - bumper to bumper traffic. Can take 1 hour to drive what should take...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Quite a pleasant stay for first timers, and this was the very first time I stayed in a hotel room WITHOUT air-conditioner, and it all went surprisingly well, as the whole place is quite cooling and it could get quite chilly at night. The place in overall is clean and well maintained. Our room was spotless and the bed was just nice and comfortable. Location is fantastic as it is mid-way between Tanah Rata and Brinchang where you could easily find shops and dinners.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1 mi away
Hotel Rosa Passadena
Hotel Rosa Passadena
#2 of 9 in Brinchang

Been to Hotel De' La Ferns? Share your experiences!