“Love this place but not this time.”

Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Love this place but not this time.”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I'm a frequent customer of Bala's Chalet but my previous stay was not so enjoyable. Everything was great as usual but the room we stayed in (JT2) was terrible. No, it's not the condition of the room. The room was nice and clean. Size was good too. It's the noise. Do not take this room (JT2) if there's people staying above you. You'll hear every foot step, their TV, their conversation, everything! It's not like they're shouting or jumping, it's just normal conversation and they're walking like normal but unfortunately, with every step they take, you can hear their footsteps and the creaking wooden floors ( ceiling for us).

On the other hand, it looks like some (or all?) of the rooms were refurbished. No more old moldy stinky carpets for the floors. It's all nicely tiled up now.

Will come back again but certainly no more JT2. i'll also make sure there's no room above the room i'm taking.

Room Tip: no JT2 please
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peeenuts
Shyamala S, Guest Relations Manager at Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Guest,Thank you for your useful tip about JT2.We have forwarded your comments to the management for action who have promised to look into the matter.Usually we only give the cottage to one large family.I think on the day mentioned we were overbooked so we had to give out rooms individually.We are sorry about the mistake done.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here twice and loved it both times.

Yes the hot shower some times doesn't work (not ALL the time)
Yes the beds felt slightly damp at times (you're on top a hill)
Yes there can be bugs (again, you're on top a hill)
Yes some staff were more pleasant and helpful than others (Mr Bala himself was charming and accommodating)
Yes the food isn't great & overpriced (well this bit is hard to defend, but towns Tanah Rata & Brinchang aren't far away. Tea & Scones here is excellent though!)

Would definitely come back. Why? Simply because Bala's Chalet, with the quiet seclusion it offers, its beautiful gardens and old-architecture charm, is the perfect setting to hide away, relax and unwind from hectic every day life.

Room Tip: If you can, get the high cabin-type rooms (forgot what names these rooms were called) it's quite...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RizwaNeem
Thank you for your lovely comments.We truly appreciate it.We however would like to point out that whilst we appreciate your useful comments as a guideline to improve our establishment,some comments especially the one about bed bugs is not true.We most certainly do not have bed bug problems.There maybe mosquitoes as we are situated in a fully forested area but no bed bugs.We take every step to clean and fumigate our area and surroundings every month.Thank You and we look forward to seeing you again.
Portage, Michigan
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

First, I will say I was a teacher for many years, so the fact that this was a school was attractive to me. Few places I stay have a history and besides having a cottage feel with lovely gardens, this does. It was very quiet with beautiful views off the front areas. I loved the tea garden and just walking around the place. We did have one meal there and it was acceptable, but that was our only dinner in our stay there. They still offer a breakfast...eggs, juice, coffee/tea, bread. All you need to start the day. Other breakfast things are on offer for a price. I have read complaints about dampness. We did not have that, but always made sure windows were closed in the eve. The room was large and the wifi was strong. They are a bit away from the city, but have a shuttle that will take you into Tanah Rata At the time of writing taxi fare was 8 RM to get to Bala's. They have changed the name to go with a Planter's Hotel in town. They are somehow connected with it. Former Bala's is now Planter's Resort. Two very different places! The water in the shower does wander onto the floor of the bathroom, but the place has some years. Some staff was more friendly than others but acceptable and generally answered what we asked. I loved my stay here and it remains the most memorable place I have stayed in two months if travel!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,Thank you so much for your lovely comments.You have captured the very essence of our establishment.This is what we are all about but nevertheless we still take every endeavour to improve our facilities and we will take into account your comments about the bathrrom water and make the necessary modifications.Thank you.
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay at Bala's and would definitely recommend it! It is perfect for a relaxed stay oft of town, as it is not in, but before Tanah Rata (bewegen T.R.& Brinchang). It is easily reachable from the main road, either 20minutes walk from Tanah Rata, or you ask the bus driver nicely to drop you there. Bala also offers a free shuttle service to town.
The chalet itself has british colonial style and is well maintained - a beautiful garden and lots of little details, nice music in the background and perfect (really high standard!), friendly service made our stay a real highlight . we had a little dirty sheets and moldy smell though, but they reacted immediately on our complaint so in the end we decided to say even one day longer. There is also a restaurant which offers nice indish dishes, and they are famous for their "tea and scones ". (delicious!). TV ( even HBO ) &wifi included. Great atmosphere, and unique place! Thank You!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BalaReservation, Guest Relations Manager at Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Ms Annika,Thank you for your valuable comments which we would surely adhere to.We are extremely sorry about the sheets upon questioning the housekeeping staff concerned assured us it was not dirt but machine stains from the laundry.But we have told them not to use these sheets even though it is not dirty.Once again we apologize.Thank you once again for staying with us and we hope to see you in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We phoned up on the morning of the chinese new year weekend, and were lucky enough to get a room; I suspect the last. Arrived and they whisked our bags to a lovely room, with a fantastic view and, and it was very quiet. Everything old fashioned and the cooler temperature feels different to an air conned room - but how refreshing not to need it! We slept with the windows open and woke up to birdsong and no other noise. The room was perfectly clean and everything worked as it should. We ate in the restaurant and it was a lovely atmosphere, excellent food (order indian!) and service. They had the fire lit every night - fantastic. So, we decided to stay a second night, and had to move to another room to do so. This also had a great view and this time its own balcony, but it was in a newer/renovated part of the hotel. This is where they lost a star for me - the rooms were so poorly insulated. So first we could hear the family in the room next to us, and then, much worse, the people walking about and watching TV in the room above. As if they were in the room with you! So when you book please ask about the room, then go and have a lovely time at this very interesting hotel in a great location

Room Tip: The more expensive chalets are, not surprisingly, better. The newer extension is poorly insulated. W...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cat-Nature-lover
Dear Guest,Thank you for your wonderful comments.We would surely take into consideration your feedback and hope we can offer you better and quieter rooms the next time you are here.Once again Thank you

uk
Reviewed 14 January 2014

we stayed at the chalets in October 2013. We were visiting family in Malaysia. Booked through a website. On our arrival after much "checking" we were checked in....two double rooms. The rooms looked fine, the gardens etc., were really good, ( a little of old England). We had a strawberry tea.....enjoyable. We ate dinner at the chalets, fine, we all enjoyed a pre Christmas dinner as we were not seeing our family through Christmas. The rooms.......the beds were clean.....but damp....I suppose because the rooms had only a small window. although the view was good.....In the morning my skin smelt "damp". The shower was fine except that the water didn't disappear and the whole bathroom soon filled up with water which s l o w l y disappeared down the plug.
The owner was very friendly and gave us a lot of information regarding the area.
The chalets are in a great location, but are definitely in need of an upgrade, although will that take away the "feeling"? All in all we enjoyed our stay, but maybe one or two nights are enough.......our beds were definitely damp.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wessy
Dear Guests,Thank you for your valuable comments.December is the wettest month in Cameron Highlands.We assure you the sheets were not damp but the feeling of dampness comes from the continuous rainy season.We have since bought a new dehumidifying machine which on demonstration proved effective.We have started using these machines and it is customers feedback that give us the knowledge on what our weak poits are We thank you once again and we hope to see you in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2014

As the taxi turned around the corner revealing the elegant-looking front of Bala's Chalet, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that my breath was momentarily taken away, it was totally out of my expectation- it was better than what I've hoped for. Walking into the lobby, I immediately fell in love with the hotel as my gaze set upon its intricately-decorated, old English-style hallways, furniture and architecture. The ambiance of the hotel gave me an impression of a cozy holiday getaway with your loved ones. The gardens were overflowing with flowers and plants of varied colors and species, I could think of nothing better than to sit down on the English style garden tables and chairs, have a cup of tea and read a book while basking in the peaceful and tranquil environment. I was staying at the hotel with my boyfriend for about 3 nights, and we enjoyed our stay very much. Mr. Bala, the owner may come off as a gruffy or grumpy man when in fact, you should never judge a book by its cover as his appearance certainly does not reflect his personality. Mr. Bala likes to share a joke or two and spends his free time conversing with the guests there who are up to a good chat with an insightful man. he and his wife go out of their way to help the guests arrange transport and tours so that they would get the best rates and services, just as they did for my boyfriend and I. The staff, though seemingly scarce, were very attentive to me and my boyfriend's needs and requests, and friendly enough to strike up a conversation with us despite their limited command of English. Wi-fi might be a tad bit slow but what would you expect when you choose to stay in a hotel up on a hill? It was not a problem for me at all since I wasn't in need of Internet during my stay. Also, there was a cheeky sign for parking regulations that is always set in front of the hotel that I find pretty adorable. The meals were a bit pricey but the delicious taste made up for the price, I especially loved their curry. Overall, some may find this review a bit too much but I was just writing straight from the heart as I really would visit Cameron Highlands again just so I can stay in this hotel once more :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rina1010
Thank you so much on your detailed description of your stay at our hotel.We would like to use all your feedback to improve so that we can serve better.Thank you once again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanah Rata
#2 of 12 in Tanah Rata
Cameron Highlands Resort
Cameron Highlands Resort
#1 of 12 in Tanah Rata

Been to Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!