“Rural Retreat”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lybster
Coggeshall, United Kingdom
“Rural Retreat”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My partner and I stayed here and were offered one of their larger and more lizurious suites. The price was slightly higher but we thought we'd give it a try. We weren't dissapointed. We looked out onto the countryside and woke to the sound of sheep. A very rural and country experience for us both one that we now look for in many other country hotels.

We were offered a very fancy scottish breakfast in the morning. I have never eaten anything quite so filling in my life. Everything you could possibly imagine was available to us.

Highly recommended.

Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dutchy69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Scotland
Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

I was disappointed to hear that the Portland Arms had closed. However it's now under new management and I've just returned from a two day stay.

The staff are friendly and attentive giving the atmoshper,one of a family run hotel. The food is a mixture of traditional Scottish fare and specials. The sirloin steak that I had was excellent and cooked exactly to my specification.

The room was huge and looked like it had been recently refurbished. The rate is excellent - and all in bb plus the evening meal in the bar worked out at £100 per night for two of us. A great deal.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sigmonde
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Me and my wife ate at this hotel on the weekend 22/06/12 when we were in Lybster staying at a B & B, the Croft house, just outside Lybster. When we walked in we were met by friendly staff who quickly seated us and took our drinks order. The menu is limited but has the basics. I had the Chilli which was excellent and my wife had the Scampi which also looked lovely and which she enjoyed. The two waitresses were very attentive and checked that we were enjoying our meals. This Hotel appears to be a good ald fashioned well run hotel that I was told is just under new management. The real fire is also a great attraction.

Loved the food and would definately eat there again if I am ever passing again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alistair F F
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We checked in here on Thursday night after a hard day in the saddle. My room was not obvious to the receptionist, so he put me in the lounge where tea and coffee were waiting for us. Five minutes later he had found me a room but upon checking there were no towels, so I had to chase them up. When they arrived they were brand new and still had the labels on them. I quickly freshened up and went down for dinner. We had a really nice pub meal with friendly staff. we were then shown into the lounge where a log fire was burning for coffee. i retired to bed and checked the room out. It was appalling, there was dust every where the floors had not been hoovered, there were 2 stains on the bed cover, dead insect squashed on the skirting, a previous guest smelly old sock under the dresser and the TV did not have a remote. In the en suite there was no bath mate just an 18" square of old carpet by the toilet, The shower had not been cleaned the wash basin was filthy, there were 2 discarded old shower caps in soggy boxes and a previous guest razor blades. The breakfast wash a bit Fawlty Towerish as some of the staff had refused to get up early as they had worked late the night before. My breakfast got forgotten so despite being down early I was one of the last to eat. Some of our group likened it to a Scottish Fawlty Towers with a female Basil! If I was going to stay around Lybster again I would find a nice B&B and eat at the Portland Arms. It says it is AA four star rated but it is no better than a 1 or maybe 2 star.

Room Tip: Find a good B&B and use this place to eat
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank RIDINGAROUND
Stromness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed at the hotel on our way back to Orkney. We had a room at the top of the building. It was cold when we first went into it, but the radiator soon heated up the room. We were asked if we would like a further electric heater but declined the offer.
The evening meal was very good. I had scampi and a 'small portion' of chips - which was huge! I would hate to see the 'normal' portion! My husband had gammon steak, which he said was cooked perfectly.
The breakfasts should come with a health warning! My husband had the full breakfast, cereal and juice, followed by loads of toast, eggs, bacon, beans, fried bread, tomato, mushrooms and black pudding. At 6pm he's still not hungry!
We would certainly stay there again if the boat is cancelled.
Yes part of the decor looks a bit aged, but otherwise it is a very good hotel. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Good luck in their new venture, I hope they make a success of their venture, they deserve it.

Room Tip: If you are tall a bedroom onthe 3rd floor might be a problem as the corridoor ceiling is a bit low a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tandydog
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Did not stay over here but ate there three time over our four night stay. The food is lovely and very reasonable and so are the bar prices.The staff are so friendly and the only downside is that we had go home. Our little dog was spoilt there with fresh water and biscuits being supplied to keer her happy - keep up the good work!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah M
Inverness
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Staff were so nice to be around, very helpful and always happy. Rooms were neat and tidy, the food was great too, such large helpings, didn't know where to put it all really. Will definetely be staying here again if we are up in this direction.

Thanks guys, had a lovely stay :)

alastair

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Alastair H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lybster
Norseman Hotel
Breadalbane House Hotel
The Antlers
The Antlers
#3 of 5 in Lybster

Been to Portland Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!