“Chilled, Relaxed, Peaceful”

and 1 more site!
Anakiwa Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Anakiwa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed over New Years and had a great time - a lodge full of kiwis for New Year, very unusual!
Our room was comfortable, well sized and clean. The bathrooms were spotless.
The DVD, book and game collections are impressive.
The company was friendly. The small size of the lodge (about 17 beds we think) means that you can be confident on a daily basis of meeting pretty much everyone who is staying!
Bath and pool towels are provided, the kayaks are great (if a little heavy to pull back up the slight hill from the beach) and overall, its a lovely little place that we are glad to have stayed at.
Do be warned - the rooms are a little oddly laid out, and everyone has to go outside to get to either the kitchen, bathroom or TV lounge, and the soundproofing is not the best.

Room Tip: The double room with bathroom adjacent is also right on the kitchen - meaning the only time you have...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Anikwa lodge was amazing. Sitting on the balcony drinking tea I thought for sure I had found the most beautiful place in the world. There is so much to say about it I don't know where begin. If you are looking for a nice relaxing place this is it. I wouldn't even consider this a hostel. First off we were picked up from the ferry so not having transportation is not a problem. Darrell and Debby keep the place very clean and homey. I felt like a guest in their home. Cleanliness is one of the most important things for me and they do an amazing job. The kitchen was easy to use - very spacious and comfortable. The rooms were great. Only 4 beds in a room, so there is no overcrowding. And bonus - there is a towel warmer in the bathroom! Another bonus was the spa - after walking the queen charlotte track it was nice to relax in the hot tub. As far as things to do they have kayaks or you can pay for Darrell to take you on his boat and show you the marlborough sounds. I HIGHLY recommend this little extra, it is worth every penny. Hopefully I can make it back to New Zealand so I can stay here again. I can't forget about Rocky! So great to have a dog around. Helped me not miss mine so much. Darrell even let me walk him!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2011

New Zealand is full of friendly people, but the host family at Anakiwa Lodge surpass all expectations. As the reviewer below said, "whatever you need, just ask Darrell". He took took us to the supermarket to do our shopping, had beer cold for us when we needed it, took us in his boat to our starting point on our walk of the Queen Charlotte Track (we needed the beer after that!) and even found a penguin for us on a boat trip, hiding right in the middle of the Sound. He is a champion.

The Lodge itself is very clean and comfortable, with a very well-stocked video libary (free!) and lots of board games, books and a boules set. We got there on a rainy afternoon and I was a bit concerned we'd be stuck inside for the three days of our stay, but was reassured by the amount of things to do at the Lodge! As it was, the sun came out, but the spa and all the games helped while away the hours when we weren't walking or on the water.

The Sound is beautiful and the Lodge provides so many ways to enjoy it; there are boat trips, kayaks, and even fishing equipment (bait supplied!).

The cooking facilities are very good, with some basic supplies and lots of room to store food as well as good utensils for cooking. We had some memorable meals there.

The children really enjoyed their walks, both on the Track and along the foreshore, and of course the trips in the boat.

A great place to stay for families.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Straight off the Queen Charlotte Track, in a small residential tract, Anakiwa Lodge is a simple looking cinder block building bristling with services and amenities. The hosts are completely prepared to provide just about anything you need. It became our inside joke, "what ever you need ask Darrell at the desk".

Even with a handful of kids, we loved the experience and came to appreciate another nuance of New Zealand life in the Marlborough Sounds.

One draw back was the weak wi-fi signal in the common areas, no doubt due to the block construction but needs a booster or wi-fi bridge installed.

Room Tip: The terraced room on the end looks bigger and very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I stayed here the night before and on completing the Queen Charlotte Track. The family running the lodge are welcoming and have arranged many thougtful extras such as being able to buy ready meals and breakfasts. They had great facilities including use of their kayaks. I particularly appreciated the use of the hot tub after completing my walk.
Debby kindly ran my bag down to the wharf to meet the boat onthe day I left.
The drive from Picton is very scenic but takes slightly longer than the twenty minutes suggested by online route planners

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2010

The Anakiwa Lodge/YHA is by far the nicest YHA that we stayed at on both islands. They have a soft bed, comfortable bedding, and a glass shower. They also have a hot tub, ~300 DVDs to choose from, and free internet. The hosts are kind and service-oriented. They even have kayaks available for free. You get all of this for very reasonable prices (I think around $70 NZD in the fall). My girlfriend and I would definitely recommend this place, and it is convenient the night before going to Blenheim for wine tasting or before catching the ferry at Picton.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott_B_Grant
Reviewed 5 June 2010

We stayed at this place only one night as we were driving through, and were sad we weren't able to stay longer. We stayed at multiple hostels/backpackers (mostly YHAs) throughout New Zealand, and have to say that this lodge, while it has backpacker rates, is not a backpacker accomodation -- it is by far the nicest we have ever seen. All of the rooms are remodeled and beautifully decorated, and the lodge has many amentities -- including a brand new spa pool, a movie theater full of DVDs, and free use of kayaks on the lake immediately adjacent to the lodge.

I rarely write reviews online but felt compelled to spread the word about what a great place this is -- and especially at such amazing prices! Definitely worth going out of your way to stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anakiwa
The Portage Resort Hotel
#3 of 5 in Anakiwa
The Sounds Retreat
The Sounds Retreat
#2 of 5 in Anakiwa

Been to Anakiwa Lodge? Share your experiences!