Anakiwa Lodge
Anakiwa 401(Anakiwa)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe kitchenmovie roomplace to stayone nightqueen charlotte trackfree kayaksdouble roommarlborough soundsgreat moviefree spa poolthe ground floorthree dayscomfortable bedssouth islanddarrelldvdshostel
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed here when we finished walking the Queen Charlotte Track. It is a very homely place to stay and the owners are very friendly. The hostel is extremely clean and comfortable and it was great to have all the home comforts after our 5-day walk. They even pick your bags up from the jetty for you if your luggage is being transported by boat! The beds were very comfy. You can sit out on the verandah, hire a kayak, rent a DVD from the extensive collection, watch TV in the lounge, use the spa, buy wine and beer too (possibly the only place in Anakiwa that sells it!). We also got driven to the ferry at Picton the next morning. Would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The reason I decided to book this lodge was that they offered free kayaks. The owner was really helpful throughout the stay organizing breakfast for us as we didn't yet have a chance to go shopping and also changing his plans to accommodate our request to be picked up with his boat later during the day. He also gave us a small free tour of the bay on the boat.
If you decide to go make sure to make your shopping upfront as Anakiwa consists only of a couple of backpackers and an outdoor school. But it is wonderfully quiet and remote.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

we were able to finish our walk of the track with curry, wine, a soak in the spa and some movies - not bad! The Hosts were wonderful and made sure we had everything we needed. It was a bit of a trek to the bathroom, but we did have our own wee deck and a custom baby gate to keep the kids safe - so we were very happy with our room

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed a couples of days in Anakiwa with my girlfriend and we loved it! Great location at Marlborough Sounds. Great walks, nice lake with lot's of activities. Great if you just wanna get away from all.
The owner upgraded our room as it was quiet and it was the best value for money I had in New Zealand. He was always friendly and eager to help and when I left my Kindle in the room he forwarded it without extra costs.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have stayed at Anakiwa Lodge the last three years in a row. It's a great place to hang out if you want the ultimate getaway. There is loads to do and kayaking on the Sounds is definitely a highlight! I also walked part of the Queen Charlotte track as a day trip to another bay and last year, my friend and me went on a boat trip around the Sounds with Darrell which was awesome. Darrell and Debbie are great hosts and have picked me up and dropped me off from the ferry terminal. There is also a spa and loads of DVDs to choose from. I would definitely recommend it if you feel like the ultimate getaway from city life or are finishing the Queen Charlotte track.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo