“By the lake on an Island in a Lake”
Review of Rockville Inn B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mindemoya
Rockville Inn B&B
Ranked #2 of 3 Mindemoya B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“By the lake on an Island in a Lake”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Sounds confusing, right?! was to me too when my husband described where we were going on the long weekend. Manitoulin Island is a gem in the North Channel area of Lake Huron. It is an island of freshwater lakes. Rockville Inn B&B is a beautiful cottage/ B&B on Manitou lake, the largest freshwater lake on an island in the world - phew! but the description does not do justice to the island, its people and its charming geography. Rockville Inn embodies the spirit of the island - Carol and Ron are welcoming, warm hosts who are ready with stories, anecdotes and little historical facts of the island and its settlers. Carol is generous host and an excellent guide.
We had 2 kinds of rooms - one was a cottage that slept 4 and one was in the B&B part of the property. The kitchen was well equipped and rooms immaculate. It was interesting to find little "antiques" all over the cottage! The garden and boardwalk area was well maintained and you could just dive in to the clear water! I would love to visit again and highly recommend this cottage and B&B!

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, if you are travelling in a group of 4 or even as a couple, take the cottage! i...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ottawa
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights. We chose this place based on reviews we read here. We were not disappointed. Our hostess was very gracious and helped us find our way around Manitoulin Island, in addition to providing great breakfasts on both days. When we returned in the evenings, there was a fire burning in the living room fireplace. This was very welcoming, and romantic as well. Our room was very comfortable and clean, The view from our window was overlooking the amazing garden and Lake Manitou. We would definitely return..

Room Tip: We were in the Irene room, which had a magnificent view of the garden and lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2013

When two best friends go on a Thelma and Louise roadtrip,the Rockville Inn B&B was the perfect destination. And yes we made it back alive to talk about it. From first sight this lovely home did nothing but exceed expectations. With warmth and humour our hostess, Carol, introduced us to her property and all its amenities. The perennial gardens were alive with hummingbirds and butterflies and encircled the gazebo with its overstuffed chairs just waiting for us. Perfect spot for Scrabble and wine! Lake Manitou was warm, smooth as glass and quite possibly the best place to skinny-dip in the entire world. We seemed to turn into cackling 5 yr olds overnite with the sheer joy of being in this little paradise. Breakfast, homemade to perfection, was served up lovingly by Carol and her precious grand-daughter. Everything about this place reverberates with the wonderful memories of past guests and Sheppard family history. Carol and Ron both made us feel like we have known them forever. This haven will be an annual Thelma and Louise retreat for us. But must say...the only thing missing was Brad Pitt!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I just stayed the third time at Rockville over Thanksgiving and it never fails to live up to my high expectations. The Inn is lovely, beautifully landscaped, overlooking the lake. Each room is well done with an interesting theme. There is a lot of privacy if you like in your room or you can go into the common area to sit in front of the fire and watch TV and listen to music. I felt like I owned the whole place because the owners do not live in the Inn but just beside. At the same time I got all the attention I needed and Carol, the owner, is more than ready to do that extra bit to accommodate her guests. She is very well informed of all the events on the island and can recommend great places to visit and eat. Carol is also a great cook and her pancakes with fresh fruit and sausages were delicious! As I mentioned this was my third time staying there. Fall or summer, the quality is consistent. I had a wonderful stay and I had to write about it - I can't keep that secret any longer!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2012

What a wonderful surprise, my wife and I were on a Fall Colour Tour through Sault Ste Marie for 5 days; however we decided we would take in the picturesque scenery of Manitoulin Island on our way home, and for this we needed accommodation.
We came across the Rockville Inn B&B on the internet, called and spoke to Carol, very pleasant and accommodating. She informed us that there was one room left, directions on the location and a rough time we should expect to arrive from the Soo.
Well, what a happen chance, we rounded the corner and there sat the “Best kept Secret” on Manitoulin Island; the grounds were well kept, beautiful gardens, pristine lake setting, and seating for just relaxing.
The room was impeccably clean, organized and well furnished for our needs, and since the owners lived next door we had the “run” of the house; to which, according to Carol “just make your selves at home”.
The next two days are etched in memory for us, Carol gave us the most interestingly exquisite place to eat dinner, “The Red Lodge” which served up some of the best whitefish my wife can remember and the roast beef was done to perfection.
Carol served up a tasty plentiful breakfast each morning, gave direction and advice on what to see and the better places to eat, all of which exceeded our expectations.
The one memory that stands out the most is the trend that is sweeping the Island, walking your horses before dinner (just ask Carol…she loves real life stories and relaying them).
If you are ever going to be on the Island for a day, week, or longer we would highly recommend the Rockville Inn B&B, it truly does give the feeling of being at home.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Lane Gail", had a perfect view of the lake, and easy access to the back...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My wife and I booked 2 nights at this B&B and loved it. Carol and Rob are wonderfull hosts. We stayed in 2 different rooms due to the last minute booking and both were clean and quiet. The grounds are very well kept. The garden at the back that leads to the lake is wonderfull. I have never seen so many hummingbirds. My wife and I liked the fact that the hosts live in the house next door instead of the same residence. The separation of living space is important to us. The breakfasts are quite good. The location is very peacefull and centrally located on the island. It is a 5 minute drive to the Cup and Saucer trail. We previously stayed in Gore Bay last year but prefer the location of this B&B. Great value and highly recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: The Navahoe is my favorite room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IpreferInns
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Carol you were such a lovely hostess. Thanks for making us such a yummy breakfast this morning! Your muffins & tea biscuits were delish! Your garden is immaculate. First time at a B&B and it was a fantastic place to stay with stunning views of lake Manitou. Our bedroom was complete with shower/bathroom and tastefully decorated in country chic. At night we enjoyed the fireplace in the common room. Hope to come back next year and swim at the lake.
Thanks & much appreciated.
The Myszaks, Mississauga,ON

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tree_M3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mindemoya
Manitoulin Hotel & Conference Centre
#1 of 2 in Meldrum Bay
The Hawberry Motel
The Hawberry Motel
#5 of 7 in Little Current

Been to Rockville Inn B&B? Share your experiences!