“Two visits - two different experiences”

Mum's Restaurant And Bakery
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Mindemoya
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed 18 July 2013

It is hard to rate this restaurant fairly. We ate supper there on Friday night, July 12 and it was excellent and very reasonably priced. Service was also excellent. On Saturday morning we went there for breakfast. It was very busy but we were seated fairly quickly and our order was taken in reasonable time. The girls seemed to be run off their feet and unfortunately there was only two of them and they had to handle the cash register as well and everyone wanted to buy baked goods as they left as well, so that was monopolizing one waitresses time almost exclusively. We ended up waiting 55 minutes before we got our breakfast which was good, but I have had better without such a long wait. By the time we finished breakfast, a third waitress showed up and still we had to line up for at least 15 minutes to pay our bill.
I realize it is hard to predict how busy a restaurant will be, but the proprietor should be aware of what kind of weather is predicted, the time of year, and perhaps even finding out from the hotel/motels how booked up they are so that he/she can make sure there is adequate staff arranged for the shifts. I realize this does not work if someone calls in sick, but I did not get the impression that this was the case that day. Sorry that my review cannot be totally positive.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

My husband & I visited Mum's while staying at a cottage on Manitoulin Island. We made the trip to Mindemoya from Little Current and it was 100% worth it. Never would have guessed from the parking lot! Good food at an incredible price. My meal cost less than a soy latte from Starbucks - I never would've guessed that good food could come so cheap! We also left with a few baked goods that were just as great as everyone says! The raspberry pie was one of the best I've had. I would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting the area.

1  Thank Katelin B
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We have been visiting Manitoulin Island for over 30 years and Mum's is a mandatory stop (more than once) on each trip. A great little gem of a place that serves excellent home cooked meals and always with a smile. And don't forget to pick up some of Mum's baked goods - homemade bread, yummy cookies and the OMG - I've gotta have apple fritters. You have to go early to get the fritters as they often sell out!

Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

We went here for breakfast. Taste was above average with ample portions. Pretty sure they also used local food (definitely local sausages) which was a big plus for us. The service was lackluster, however, as the server seemed to ignore us after our initial sit and we has to ask for her attention and also get up to get and pay for our own pastries from the counter. It was not busy at all when this happened, on the contrary the server was merely making napkin-silverware bundles instead of attending to us.

But the homemade bread and pastries were so delicious and large that we came back for them again. The cinnamon rolls are HUGE, dripping with stickiness, and had big stone-sized clumps of brown sugar/cinnamon/gloop falling off. My wife and I are big eaters with big sweet toothes and we had to share a cinnamon bun. We came back the next day for sweets and I got a huge apple fritter which was delectable and she got the peanut butter marshmallow concoction. Both were pleasing and we would definitely go back if we visit the area again.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Great family restaurant. Big servings, great baking. Small-townish which is nice - lots of regulars.
Lots of places to eat in Mindemoya but this is the best