“LAMBS LIVER”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My mum suggested we eat at the Plough, having seen their adverts in the local papers. Although the car park was full when we arrived which suggested the pub/restaurant may have been, I don't know where the customers were because there was no more than 3 tables being occupied when we walked into the restaurant. My mum had soup to start - well you cant go wrong with soup really can you? I ordered the baked gammon/roast and was surprised to see tiny scraps of gammon on my plate, along with a piece of cauliflower no bigger than a 10 pence piece, a few shards of carrot and peas. I had what looked and tasted like 3 Aunt Bettys roast potatoes an some gravy which was passable. My mum ordered the liver and requested roast potatoes instead of mash which was what she fancied. Halfway through eating her liver, she found a piece of meat that looked like dark pate and she could not eat it. It put her off her lunch and she left the rest of the meal. When a waitress came over and asked if all ok, she showed the woman the meat and she said "oh I will go and have a word with the chef" - she never came back until it was time to present the bill and i asked what the chef had said and she replied "oh her said it was just gristle" - so my mum paid for gristle and roast potatoes instead of liver and potatoes. No apology, no offer of a coffee perhaps or drink just accept and pay up. This pub is awful - they used to advertise quizes on a regular weekly basis and people used to attend in the vain hope of a quiz starting and after sitting for a while, would be told that sorry not enough people had come to make a quiz - so they had got people into the pub on false pretense - get them in, tell the a quiz might start, get them to buy drinks etc and then after a while tell them no quiz - a good way to run a business !!

2  Thank themuver
ThePloughInnWhitstab, Public Relations Manager at The Plough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

I am shocked to see such a review as we have never had such a complaint before. We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and are praised for it regularly.

Unfortunately, when any huge piece of meat is cooked - there is a certain amount of gristle attached to it. Not all of this gristle is obvious - although our chefs do try to remove it all and are usually successful. I can only apologise to your mother for what must have been a spot of bad luck - and I am very sorry that it managed to put her off the remainder of her meal - and the waitress should have come back to let you know what it was so that your mother could carry on her meal safe in the knowledge that the rest was edible. We have notified management and staff have undergone further direction on customer service. I only hope that you will come back to the Plough and give us a chance to change your mind.

As regards the quiz - thank you for your comment - this is fantastic feedback to help us improve our customer service. We had not realised how much this could upset you or the rest of our valued customers - so I will talk to management about introducing a system whereby where people must sign up for the quiz via telephone, text, e-mail or facebook so that we know numbers - that way we can let everyone know in advance if there are enough people. Alternatively, you could make sure that you and all of your friends come down so that it makes up the numbers :)

We hope to see you again soon! Thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for The Plough Inn

Reviewed 14 August 2014

was in the plough on saturday food as normal was amasing new manager gary has got this pub ticking over nicely good job all round

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were well looked after by a pretty waitress/barmaid and the car park was full when we arrived.
Without doubt it must be a good pub but the food was typical pub fare prepared from frozen. I love freshly made chips and you do not get them here.

The food was better than that in the holiday camp opposite where we were staying so the walk was worth it.

We are very sorry to hear that you suspect that our food is frozen - however I can assure you that we take pride in the fact that our food is all cooked FRESH each day. Could you let me know exactly when you were there and what you had to eat?

We have informed the kitchen staff of this review.

Why not pop in again and let us change your mind? Just ask for Iltan at the bar and let him know who you are and I can assure you - you won't think of our food as frozen again!

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I can recommend the ribeye steak. It was Cooke to perfection and all served with a smiling face. Will definitely go back for more.

2  Thank Jonh82
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My daughter and I went to The Plough Inn at the recommendation of a neighbour. who had visited there a few days previously. We were very pleased to find a large parking area outside and a sizeable eating area inside. There was a very good selection on the menu, the food was served piping hot and was absolutely delicious. We had decided to have two courses as we didn't know how large the portions would be, its a good job we did as we were completely full to the brim ! Lovely selection of desserts which catered for people with a variety of tastes. The staff were very pleasant and most helpful, the tables were cleaned and tidy. I would highly recommend The Plough Inn to everyone regardless of age.

2  Thank Diane S