“Some good, some not so good”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whittlesford
Manchester, England
“Some good, some not so good”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I was a little worried when I tried to locate this hotel on Google Maps and couldn't find it! The satellite imagery is obviously out of date as the hotel isn't there at all. If you look at the map the hotel is in the square between the A505, the railway, and Station Road East, directly alongside the station.

On arrival all seemed good. The hotel is very new indeed, its exterior clad with wood, and it looks quite impressive albeit slightly boxy. The car park is outside the front of the hotel and thankfully I found a space straight away - I wasn't sure if the station car park (I think it was a pay & display) was also available to hotel guests. Once inside the hotel I was dealt with quickly and efficiently, was given a ticket detailing the free wifi as I'm a gold member of the Holiday Inn Priority Club, and was asked if I would like to book a table for dinner at the Red Lion opposite. I said that I would, and was told that the booking would be made under my room number. (I'll review the Red Lion separately, but when I arrived at the pub they had no information about my reservation. Not a problem as they had tables available anyway.)

My room was a typical Holiday Inn Express room and had twin beds - a surprise as my company always books doubles for us, but maybe this wasn't available. The window was open and my room (201) directly overlooked the station, and almost straight away a train came past. It was very noisy but to be fair the window was open to provide some ventilation. The room was spacious and well maintained, but there were a couple of curious things, such as the bathroom lighting - the bulbs all appeared to be pink, and the light over the shower was very dim.

When I settled down for bed I closed the window and switched the air conditioning on. Sadly I had a very bad night due to the pillows feeling like bricks, the constant noise from the A505, and the frequent trains passing through the station until late and from very early, some of which were express trains. Didn't feel great the next morning.

Breakfast was OK for me, a buffet with a few cereal choices, a toaster, a coffee machine (not very nice I'm afraid - not as good as other Holiday Inn Expresses I've stayed in) and some yoghurts and fruit. There was a small hot buffet but I don't touch that. Signs in the hotel advised that guests could upgrade to a Red Lion breakfast if desired which meant having a full English in the pub opposite.

All in all it was a nice, new hotel with friendly staff, but if I stayed again I'd take earplugs and maybe my own pillows.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the station and the A505 as you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nasalhair
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and for your constructive feedback.

I would like to apologise for the issue you had using google maps to locate our hotel and we will be looking into this matter to figure out why the hotel was not on it when you checked it.

Our hotel is three years old and is one of the new modern style Holiday Inn Express hotels that are being built around the world, I’m very glad that you felt this looked impressive as we work hard to keep the hotel looking as new as possible.

I would also like to apologise that your reservation was not found when you went to the Red Lion, we have an excellent relationship with our sister property and this should have been prepared for you when you arrived for dinner, however I am pleased we were able to rectify the situation.

We have front facing rooms that face away from the railway and the main road so they are quieter, and if you come again please request a quiet room or front facing so you can have a better night sleep.

Kind Regards,

Ross Ferguson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Indonesian first
Northern England
Reviewed 30 June 2013

For single travellers, this hotel would be fine. The rooms are comfortable and quiet on the non-railway side at least. My main problem, as with most UK HIE hotels, is the size of the double bed and even worse, the size of the duvet. It is simply not possible for two people to be fully covered by that size of duvet! The shower was good, and there was a blue nightlight--much appreciated. Breakfasts are very basic, perhaps more so than at other UK HIEs. What was very good was the responsiveness of the staff to small problems. A wonky toilet seat was immediately repaired. Difficulty with WiFi connection (free to Platinum members) was sorted on the spot. We found the location somewhat inconvenient for Cambridge because the trains came at awkward intervals, sometimes of more than an hour. For touring around by car, it's fine. Audley End is about 15 mins. away, and the Wimpole Estate is also close by.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leisure-traveller44
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is located on the EAST side of the railway line. Dont go to the wrong side like I did !. Travelling from the west, pass over the railway and the hotel is just on the left, follow signs for the railway works. This is a modern hotel, fairly small, with only breakfasts served. All other meals are in the pub next to the car park. I stayed one night for the IWM at Duxford. Its ideal for that especially if visiting an airshow when traffic queues for hours !. Its not really walking distance, but only a few miles. One slight problem is leaving the carpark, its a no right turn. You have to turn left, down to the roundabout and back. The room I had was on the 2nd floor overlooking the railway station. There was some noise from the trains, but nothing major, and the last one was around 2300. I guess if you had the window open noise could be a problem. The room was modern, comfortable, and quiet. Its seems breakfast can become hectic, with signs on the lift advising of the quietest time to visit. If I was in the area again I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sharla82
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our most popular time of year is during our airshows, due to the closeness of the hotel to the museum and makes our hotel a very convenient stopping place for people visiting this attraction.

With regards to the road and railway noise, we have front facing rooms away from the railway tracks and roads however generally the noise is minimal compared to a city centre hotel location.

Thank you for your custom and we hope you’ll return in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Ross Ferguson
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I am currently staying here as I write this review, room nice if basic (trains not too noisy)/bathroom good with walk in shower only/tea-coffee facilities. I booked for four nights and found out on my first day here I wouldn't need the fourth night, when I asked on reception if I could cancel my fourth night I was told NO as my booking was done on some saver thing, pity as it has put a bit of a dampener on my stay. I asked for the a/c in my room to be adjusted from 23C down to 18C in the morning and upon my return in the evening nothing has been done (still at 23C), it is also quite noisy.
Bed is ok and a hair dryer is included in the hallway / no wardrobe, only a rail for clothes hanging.

I am due back in the area in two weeks but due to the lack of being able to cancel 1 x night in a four night stay and the excessive £5 per 24 hour wifi I'll probably be looking elsewhere for somewhere to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank trubby01
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Joe-Snr,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for 2 nights (Friday 31st May and Saturday 1st June 2013). The room was clean and comfortable, but faced the train station which kept us awake. The bed itself was rather hard and uncomfortable, as were the pillows. Not the best night sleep we have ever had. Both sets of pillows were uncomfortable and felt very cheap.

Our major criticism is regarding the breakfast. We paid for the cooked breakfast at the Red Lion across the way. It was very disappointing. The menus stated that the full English came with veggie sausages (veggie option), eggs toast, beans, mushrooms etc. My veggie breakfast only came with 2 poached eggs, slice of toast and one rather over fried veggie sausage.

On both mornings the continental breakfast was very poorly stocked, I had to asked a number of times for cutlery, glasses, cups, hot water, and juice which took a long time to arrive if at all.

We were very disappointed with our stay and felt the with the costs of drinks (expensive!) and sub-standard service and breakfast that it was not value for money.

One final thing was that I signed for items that were to be added to our room. However, on the Friday evening I asked that no more items were to be added to our room and settled our bar bill before going to bed. On check out I was presented with a bill for drinks that had been added AFTER we went to bed by someone else. I was furious to say the least. The girl on the desk at checkout was not very friendly and took her time sorting it out.

I would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for a room NOT facing the railway line and ask for extra pillows.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LucyColman
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear LucyColman,

We appreciate you sharing your experience regarding your stay with us. It is regrettable you did not enjoy your stay at our property. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret we failed to provide a great experience during your stay. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for review.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Whittlesford hotels

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 June 2013

nothing to say about this nice hotel near Cambridge exept go early to breakfast, after 9 AM most of the food-buffet is gone!

parking is free of charge and there is a nice pub in the corner

Family rooms are comfortable however not equiped for a stay longer than two nights, excelent shower!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DRL_AR
Leeds
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Good value for money. Hotel was clean and staff were friendly. Breakfast was fine. Staff were a little overstretched at times but made up for it with their friendliness and effort. Rooms were fine, good decor.

Locally there is a Macdonalds (Approx 400yds). Duxford Village with several pubs (Approx 1 mile) and an M&S Food Store in the Services approx. 400yds away. One word of advice, don't bother with the Red Lion over the road from the Hotel. It is very expensive and the food is nothing special.

Good place to stay if visiting Cambridge or the nearby Duxford Air Museum

Room Tip: If you are with young kids, ask for a room at the back so they can see the passing trains. Keeps the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LeedsMac1978
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittlesford
Travelodge Cambridge Fourwentways
#3 of 3 in Saffron Walden
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#13 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10? Share your experiences!