“Very impressed”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whittlesford
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I am not sure when this hotel was built but it still seemed brand new, clean and modern. We were able to check in early (before 1pm). Our room was nicer than other Holiday Inn Express hotels we have stayed in and was definitely a couple of notches up from a Travelodge and from a Premier Inn. The bathroom, in particular, was of a high standard. Breakfast was also good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I was delighted to read your review. We hope you will return in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

My partner and I have just spent two days at this hotel. The check in procedure was simple and quick as we had already booked with bookings.com. I had no problems being allocated an accessible room as I am a wheelchair user. Disabled parking was not a problem and the hotel was completely accessible. The room allocated to us was large and very modern and had all the usual refinements including Air Conditioning which was very useful as in was very warm overnight during our stay . Good wet room and also a washbasin placed low enough for me to use in my wheelchair and a normally sited for my able bodied partner never seen that in a hotel before but a nice touch.Our room overlooked a railway track but double glazing excellent so did not effect our stay at all. Staff very friendly and hotel was spotless nice place to stay and very close to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford.

Room Tip: Disabled Travellers are well looked after at this hotel

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I was very pleased the accessible facilities were to your satisfaction. It is down to customer like you who give us feedback after your experience that has ensured the hotel is ideal for people with accessibility needs. You can expect to see all new build Holiday Inn’s with this level of detail.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and i just enjoyed 3 nt stay here. the reason for the trip was visiting Cambridge and the air museum. The hotel was more than adequate and the breakfast suited us. Its very modern, if a little sparse I would have liked a mirror over the desk next to the window for the light for doing hair and make-up. The lighting is not great. We overlooked the railway station, which was not intrusive at all. In fact it is great for getting into Cambridge where we picked up the Hop on Hop off tourist bus right outside the station. Excellent. A very good stay and wouldb certainly recommend, and stay here again.We would also recommend the Pubs in Duxford. Very nice and not as expensive as the pub next door

Room Tip: we had top floor room No complaints

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your constrictive feedback.

I was very pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your time with our hotel.

We hope you will return in the future and perhaps you could try the Red Lion, it has a 15% discount loyalty club scheme making it as cost effective as the Duxford pubs yet the quality far exceeds what they can offer.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We had a few problems booking the hotel but finally got it sorted.We asked for a room for 2 adults and 2 children. The room was very cramped NO storage and no space to hang clothes.Sofa bed not comfortable for children. Staff were friendly.Shower was the best thing in the room. We had a fire alarm which seemed somewhat confusing to the staff! Would not choose to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol2554
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to make a review of our hotel.

I would like to firstly apologise for the issue you had when making your booking. We try our hardest to make the booking process as easy and pain free for our guests as possible. However this is an ideal opportunity to review this process.

The bedrooms are all of similar sizes and we have 40 double rooms that can be turned into family rooms due to the fold down bed. I am sorry you felt there was a lack of room in your bedrooms.

The fire tests is a regular and ongoing process, we test the staff at regular intervals to gauge their competencies. We provide them with feedback and corrective action. Fire life safety is taken very seriously by all staff and managers. We never leave anything open to chance and the procedures and in depth yet simple to follow.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here for one night after attending a concert at Audley End. When we checked in at 4pm, we were informed there was a problem with the hot water and it was only luke warm, but they hoped to have it fixed later in the day. As it was a Sunday I had my doubts and was proved correct when we returned at 10:30pm because the water was even colder. Fortunately there was a kettle in the room, so we were able to get some hot water for washing.
The following morning I would have liked to try out the impressive looking shower, but couldn't as the water was still cold.
The bed was comfortable and the "help yourself" breakfast was OK. I booked through the hotel's website and paid £63 which was a good price, it was just a shame about the water problem.
On checking out we were only offered an apology. They were expecting to have the hot water back later that day.

1  Thank Shemala

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the hot water issue. It was a ‘freak occurrence’ which was beyond our control. Being a Sunday and although we managed to get an engineer to the hotel, he was unable to locate correct equipment (new parts) and it wasn’t delivered until the next day. During this period we did endeavour to make all customers as comfortable as possible and made alternative arrangements. The hotel did have a supply of hot water for emergency use, but due to high demand this went very quickly.

Please accept my apologies, it was a horrible situation for you.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed here with work last week, very comfy bed with pillow menu. Hotel nestled in a dip between a main road and a railway line, but surprisingly very quiet. Pub next door serves nice food but a bit on the pricy side . Wifi was rubbish gave up after three attempts and had my money back, very unusual to have to pay. Was told to go over the pub and buy a drink theirs is free. Didn't want to do this as I was on my own and just wanted to chill in my room. Breakfast okay nothing special nice staff and good room with large shower.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LynnWray

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I’m pleased that you had a comfortable stay, our rooms are designed with this mind both for working at the desk or for relaxing.
Our food at the Red Lion is all locally sourced and homemade on the premises so I’m glad that you enjoyed your meal with our sister property.
With regards to the WIFI I’m sorry that you had issues when trying to use this, we will be speaking to our internet providers to try and prevent this happening in the future.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is a modern hotel built in the last few years. It is well located for the train to London or Cambridge. We had no trouble checking in, the room was fine, decent TV. The shower was a separate cubicle, but I found the floor slippery and no shower mat. There was a low glass shelf in the shower and if you did slip in the shower then you might fall against this shelf.
Breakfast was included in the price (£81 for a double room), it is a self service breakfast with a variety of options, and the food is topped up regularly. The cooked breakfast however consists of only 3 items, I think it was scrambled egg, sausage and beans. I didn't eat it and chose the continental items. Eat as much as you like.
There's no on-site bar or restaurant. The neighbouring pub is expensive. But if you don't mind the walk there are pubs in Duxford village serving food at reasonable prices. Alternatively you can walk to Sawston where there is an Indian restaurant and pubs.
Our room overlooked the railway line but we weren't bothered with noise.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are pretty much the same.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Abrams

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are pleased that you experienced an easy check in and enjoyed the room facilities. I apologise for the shower being slippery, the shower unit has a built in safety floor to prevent the use of a bath matt however we do have these at the reception desk should you feel this is required.

The breakfast is part of our Express brand, so therefore we can only supply the 3 hot items. However we do have our sister hotel, the Red Lion, which sells a cooked to order full English breakfast, using locally sourced ingredients every morning which we do a discounted rate for, for guests staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

We hope to welcome you back in the future and thank you for your constructive feedback. It now leaves us the opportunity to rectify these issues.

Ross Ferguson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittlesford
Travelodge Cambridge Fourwentways
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge
Travelodge Newmarket Road Cambridge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10? Share your experiences!