“Excellent for touring”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whittlesford
North East England
“Excellent for touring”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed here as it is central and right on the railway. Don't be put off by that, the trains are electric so Quiet.
There is a bar over the road which also does carvery and it's not far at all by the railway to either London or Cambrtidge. We are booked again for the future.

Room Tip: Pick one to the front.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, 10 October 2013

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I was very pleased you enjoyed your experience in our hotel. It was great to hear the trains didn't disturb you. For light sleepers we have front facing rooms however we are very confident (due to the measure we have taken to prevent noise) the train noise is minimal and nowhere near as noisy as a busy city centre hotel.

Thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ross Ferguson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Indonesian first
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Duxford is near enough do Cambridge to take local trains service in if you don't want to drive. This is a really brand new place and I did wonder if it would be noisy set right off a busy motorway exit and next to the railway line as it is. But since it is so new the windows and wall construction kept it quiet! Staff very helpful. Breakfast a quick buffet style. Dinner across the road can be charged to your room. Great arrangement.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, 4 October 2013

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I was very pleased indeed to read of your satisfaction with the services we provide. It’s great to hear the potential noise issues outside the bedroom were not a hindrance to you. The bedrooms located next to the train tracks are thicker, the wall well insulated and a reinforced wall to stop the vibrations although I would point out the trains are electric and do not make much noise at all.

We hope to welcome you back in the future and thank you for your custom.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is my first time in a Holiday Inn Express, so I'm not sure to what extent my comments apply to the chain in general or just this branch.

This is obviously a new hotel (too new to appear on Google Street View) and it still looks very new and shiny. I was off to a good start when I received quite possibly the friendliest check-in greeting ever.

My room looked nice as I walked in, but problems soon revealed themselves. There's not a single drawer or cupboard in the room; and no wardrobe. My jacket and shirts hung on the tiny hanger rail, but my clean socks and pants had to be left in plain view on a shelf.

A similar theme appeared in the bathroom. It was sizeable and looked very nice, but they got so many of the little touches wrong. The glasses were plastic and there were no toiletries in the bathroom other than a couple of bottles of cheap hand-soap attached to the walls.

Breakfast was limited but perfectly serviceable. I understand that you can upgrade to full English breakfast at the pub next door. but I didn't try that. The hotel makes heavy use of that pub to make up for its lack of facilities. If you ask, they will make you something from a limited choice of meals, but I got the impression that they would far rather that you went next door to eat.

Some reviews here mention the noise from the passing trains. I was on the station side and on my first night I was aware of the noise. In the morning I realised that I had left the window open. The next night I closed the window and didn't notice the trains at all.

This is clearly a hotel that is aimed at business visitors who will only stay for a couple of nights. And it's just passable for that. I can't imagine coming here with the family, but if I ever have business in the area again, I might come back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank realdavorg

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I was very pleased to read about your check in experience, we employ people for their personalities and outgoing nature, experience in the job comes with time and we have an abundance of experience it is a great personality we look for.

I appreciate your comments regarding the bedrooms, the design of the rooms is very modern with many shelves and hanging space but we do not have cupboards. The hand soap is not cheap I assure you, this is a very reputable brand. The hotels offers extras like conditioner, soap bars, tooth paste, nail files, cotton wool and shaving kits should you forget something.

The hotels sister property is the Red Lion so we decided the best way forward is to have a full menu in one hotel. The limited menu you refer to is for those customers who have arrived late and the red lion has closed although ask for something from this menu and we will cook it for you any time of the night or day.

The hotel is aimed at business visitors as well as leisure, events and conference. We are all things to all people and everyone is welcome.

I am glad you will return if on business but I urge you to bring the family along, the Imperial War Museum is only 1 mile away and it is a fantastic experience.

Thank you for your custom, it was greatly appreciated.

Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Ideally situated for shopping in Cambridge with the train station 50 yards from the hotel and 10 mins into Cambridge. Room minimalist but very comfortable, breakfast simple and tasty (buffet style). Also ideal for Duxford Imperial War Museum, which is 2 miles away. Very good restaurant next door.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one at the front of the hotel.
2 Thank Peter D
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your comments very much indeed. Thank you for your custom and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here overnight on way to Stansted Airport. The staff were very friendly and the room was clean and comfortable, also the breakfast was good. Unfortunately we hadn't realised the hotel was right next to a station and as the window in our room (station side) would not close it was noisy. Expect the noise would have been much less if the window was shut . Wouldn't stay in a station side room again but think the rooms facing the car park would be fine. The evening meal we had in the Red Lion opposite was very good and would definitely eat there again. It was probably our Sat Nav but it took us to the hotel post code on the other side of the railway line and we had a bit of a detour to make to get to the hotel.
It was nice to meet such friendly staff and very convenient to travel on to Stansted Airport (under an hour further on).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the car park not the railway

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I was pleased your enjoyed your experience in our hotel. We can provide front facing rooms which prevent noise however we do offer ear plugs to customers who think they might hear the trains. The glass is thicker on the back facing rooms to prevent the noise from disturbing you.

We greatly appreciate your custom and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Smiles from the staff when we arrived, courteous attention from receptionist George, and a clean, comfortable and well-appointed room on the ground floor, with a big shower! The hotel is next to a station, and we appreciated not being on the railway side; although we felt a slight rumbling from the railway, the trains weren't intrusively frequent. We enjoyed the wide range on offer at breakfast - described as 'complimentary', although you'd have to be naive to believe this little piece of see-through marketing by Holiday Inn: we paid for it in the price! At £60-odd a night for two of us, including breakfast, we considered our stay pretty good value. We liked the open lounge area, although we'd encourage Holiday Inn to start serving real coffee on site. Expectations these days extend well beyond the instant coffee we were apologetically offered!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the car park side. It's a little quieter.
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was very pleased to read your comments regarding our staff. It is very important the staff let their personalities do the talking for our hotel. We have a wonderful product however we are nothing without the right people.

We take you comments regarding the coffee serving and all i can say is watch this space as we have something coming very soon.

Sorrento, Florida
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I've stayed here twice: first for 4 nights in September 2011 and most recently for 4 nights in September 2013.

First, some people have complained here about train noise. I have stayed both on the frontside of the hotel away from the tracks and the backside next to the tracks. I say this: anyone who complains of train noise has never REALLY tried to sleep next to noisy trains. At worst, the train noise is minimal in a room on the "train track" side but for me, it was a non-issue. On the front side of the hotel there is simply no train noise at all.

I love the location of this place. You almost literally step off the train platform into the hotel parking lot. You can't beat convenience if you travel by train as I do. It's about a 30 to 35 minute walk to the IWM or I'm sure a reasonable cab fare if you prefer. Personally, I really like the walk. It's about the same walk time to the villages of Whittlesford and Duxford where I've found some other interesting pubs/restaurants.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Great to have WiFi though 5 BP a day seems silly.

Rooms are very clean and comfortable. I've only stayed in "single" rooms and they are pretty small but I'm not in the area to sit in my hotel room! Cleaning staff were great, when I left a note for them asking for more coffee packets, they gave me a whole bunch.

Breakfast is simple but offers decent choices. If you want something more, the Red Lion offers an English Breakfast just across the way. For me, I eat a quick breakfast and head out the IWM. I'm not there to have big breakfast spread. Not sure if they offer dinner, I eat at the Red Lion across the way.

I think this place is a great "home base" whether you just need a room for the night or you're in the area to visit the many historical sites. I'll be back again.

Room Tip: My first visit, they accommodated my request to be away from tracks. My second visit, I was next to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very detailed review of our hotel.

I am pleased to read your comment about the train tracks. For light sleepers this may be an issue however the trains are electric and stop around 11.30pm. The glass is thicker on the back rooms to compensate for noise.

The WIFI is now FREE to every customer. After comments from customers like you we made the decision to ensure it is free to all.

Thank you for your custom and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Ross Ferguson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittlesford
Duxford Lodge
The Saffron Hotel
The Saffron Hotel
#3 of 3 in Saffron Walden
Ibis Cambridge Central Station

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10? Share your experiences!