“Bad experience, will not return”
Review of The Falcon Hotel

The Falcon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whittlesey
Ingatestone, United Kingdom
“Bad experience, will not return”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed at the Falcon as part of a group at the start of July. I had requested an en-suite room, however when I arrived I was taken to room 1O which had no en-suite but instead had a key to a separate toilet and shower in the corridor outside the room. Upon enetering the room I was greeted by an overwhelming smell of fresh paint and the carpet was covered in fresh paint chippings. I requested that the floor be hoovered, which it was.

That evening I wanted an early night as I had had a long day and a long drive to get to Whittlesey. However, I was to discover that it was 'band practice' night directly beneath my room. The volume was heavily amplified and the floor literally shook. This went on until 10pm.
The next morning I asked the owner what was going on. He told me that there was band practice every Monday night. He also told me that my room was still being painted and would therefore offer me a discount off the rate of £55 reduced to £40 per night.

The owner explained that he was fully booked and hence the need to paint my room whilst I was staying in it. Fortunately I do not suffer from any bronchial conditions as it would have been quite dangerous for an asthmatic to remain in that room with the fumes.

I stayed in room 10 on two particularly hot nights and the room is airless and grubby. The 'painting' involved bright colour on one wall of peeling woodchip. My bedding was ripped and the chairs had nasty cheap throws over them.

When I returned home I had access to the internet again and the website bears no resemblance to room 10. I also discovered that the advertised room rate for a non en-suite should have been £35 per night. So I had actually being overcharged for the pleasure of staying in such an awful room!

I immediately emailed the owner and requested an explanation. I am still waiting for a reply, two weeks later.

On the plus side, the breakfast was tasty and the staff friendly.

I will not be staying here again and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank chankillo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

An excellent one night stay, with very helpful and friendly staff, good parking, a good traditional breakfast.
At least on a par with a lot of much more expensive hotels in the area, my first visit, and would certainly book again, and recommend it to anyone.
My one reservation would be, although I had an en-suite, I would not like to consider a room with shared bathroom, I thought those days were well behind us, but except for that one reservation I think the self appointed 2 stars is not enough.

Room Tip: If you are one for a night time trip or early morning trip to the loo, or like leasurely showers, ma...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Andy B
Reviewed 22 June 2013

After reading previous comments on trip advisor I was slightly apprehensive about booking myself into this hotel but location wise it was where I needed to be. However what a complete surprise, my room was beautiful, full of cha rector as was the rest of the hotel and very in keeping with the age and style of the establishment. I was welcomed by the lovely staff whom are all a massive credit to the management. You have phil and Shelley in the kitchen who are both equally superb chefs and chris and Sarah behind the bar both of whom are friendly and welcoming and nothing is to much bother for them. This hotel is excellent value for money and I will be returning again and again. It's in an ideal location set back from the main town centre with a very short walk to access all the local amenities. I would recommend this place time and again.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Louisatant
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Falcon Hotel

Peterborough
Room was clean and comfortable, very close to the Guildenburgh diving school, very reasonable price including breakfast although I didn't have mine as I didn't have the time before I had to go diving. I would certainly use this hotel again

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark P
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We arrived at 19.50 to be told that the chef had gone so we had to go out and find a meal somewhere else. It is a very oldie worldy building with sloping floors and the room we were given had no shower. the bathroom was cold even after we closed the window.
The wifi did not work either in our room or in the bar.
Good point's are that the staff were friendly and tried to be as helpful as possible. The breakfast was good and was very filling.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graham C
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed 10 December 2012

After being told they had no record of our booking, we were taken up to a room. At first glance it looked like a nice big hotel room. We dropped our bags and left to meet friends.

In reality, the paint was peeling off the ceiling, the carpet was ripped, the wallpaper was falling off the walls, the tiles in the shower room were cracked and falling off, the shower was covered in black mould, the shower head was broken and falling off, the bed was broken, the sheets were stained, there was no Wifi and the TV didn’t work.

Unfortunately we got there late when it was dark and didn’t notice all this till we woke up in the morning when it was light. We packed our things and quickly left without breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank STEMwriter
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

This was an overnight stay that we wouldn't repeat.
Very grubby looking going up the stairs when we were taken into our room which was en-suite only 1 lightbulb working out of 3 so very dreary looking. The carpet was badly stained, ceiling paper hanging off the ceiling and the headboard on the bed needed cleaning. We duly filled in our breakfast form and handed it to a member of staff on the way out to find some peace from the thudding music from below our room.
When we returned about 10.30pm music still blaring until midnight, the following morning trying to make a hasty retreat were informed we had to wait for breakfast that we had booked for 8am because they werent given our breakfast form, great.
Overall a bad experience not recommended.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shazvella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittlesey
Queensgate Hotel
Best Western Plus Peterborough Orton Hall Hotel & Spa
Bell Inn Stilton
Bell Inn Stilton
#3 of 27 in Peterborough

Been to The Falcon Hotel? Share your experiences!