“80`s Throw back”
Review of The Falcon Hotel

The Falcon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whittlesey
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We booked a groupon meal for the Falcon, but clearly we wished we had stayed at home. On entering the bar we felt we had 3 heads and clearly did not fit in. We asked for the wine list, not a massive amount of choice and asked for a different wine which they did have, so semi good start. We felt very uncomfortable and clearly overdressed. The Falcon is in need of a major re-vamp, the look and feel is like being thrown back into the 80`s. On entering nans living room OOps sorry the dining room there was 3 other tables that all stopped their conversations to stare at us and the silence was awful. The decor, poorly hung outdated curtains, very bright lighting, boring old wallpaper, old fashion table and chairs, paper napkins just no ambience. Food was also very 80`s, prawn cocktail was warm, salmon very overcooked and in a watery sauce, tiny lamb steak, bizzare pasta dish, half cooked chips in a very large pasta bowl. The best part was dessert, although clearly brought in as one of the puddings still had some of the plastic wrapper on, and the waiter even went to say when we couldnt decide on dessert, chose another one as it was easier to get out of the packet !!!! and Peter L yes we said exactly the same thing ~ Faulty Towers !! We were waiting to for Basil to serve us !!!! Pleasant staff though, just needs a complete overhaul.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Minxymoo23

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We booked a small room for a family party of 14 people. The room was organized with 4 tables and 4 chairs. The tables had white table cloths with candles. Wine glasses were laid out on the small bar and ready for the wine which we had ordered. On arrival the guests had a choice of wine, beer or spirits. We had a buffet ,later in the evening and it was excellent
The staff worked really hard to make this a success and nothing was too much trouble.
We recommend this hotel for any parties, functions etc. The warmth, friendliness and excellent service made this a memorable evening
Thanks to everyone involved.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Blossom024
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Booked an evening 3 course meal with friends under a Groupon offer.
The four of us were "fitted in" but the large dining room was empty when we arrived during early evening before being joined by another table of 4 about an hour later.
The waitress was very welcoming as was the bar staff and the two locals having a meal in the bar area had some good banter as well.
Good menu choice and no complaints about the choices made and the quality or quantity of food The waitress met our requests with no issues and was happy to run to the bar to keep our drink glasses replenished.
Dining room was a little cold and no heat coming from radiators.
The car park was rather full when we arrived but the pub seemed empty so assumed that guests were in their rooms or residents of nearby houses were using it.
It also appears that one of the large rooms was being used for line dancing classes and the car could easily have been trapped in the car park due to some inconsiderate parking by some patrons, so just a word of caution here.
Some skilful manoeuvring obviated the necessity to track down the car owners!!!!

Room Tip: Enjoyed the food and friendly staff.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrCliff
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We had a groupon voucher that I used for this hotel was a three course meal for two and when we got there it looked like faulty towers...mind you the staff were nice but that was about it well plus the menu looked nice....UNTILL the chef came out before the restaurant opened and looked so scruffy tattoos all over and filling his jug with beer just looked none professional.well I would never eat there again the food was the worse I had ever....never ate it and came away hungry...just don't eat there all I'm saying

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here on 4 separate occasions for a work trip and on the whole it was a pleasant say. The staff were extremely friendly and seemed quite surprised that we had came back to stay for another few nights!!! A very loud friendly Geordie man called Colin serves breakfast in the morning which was really nice and cooked the way you want it as they give you a form to fill in with your breakfast. The rooms are very homely with soft red carpets and old fashioned furniture. There is a shared bathroom down the hall which is fairly basic but there are toilets round the corner which are for the pub which are much nicer. The only problem was that there was a bit of a "big fat gypsy" wedding going on downstairs with loud music going on until 11.30pm. They did warn us but we had already booked the room so there was nothing we could do but that was only one night, the rest were quiet!!

A nice standard pub, with friendly staff and a warm welcome!!! I would happily stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ellen M
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed at the Falcon as part of a group at the start of July. I had requested an en-suite room, however when I arrived I was taken to room 1O which had no en-suite but instead had a key to a separate toilet and shower in the corridor outside the room. Upon enetering the room I was greeted by an overwhelming smell of fresh paint and the carpet was covered in fresh paint chippings. I requested that the floor be hoovered, which it was.

That evening I wanted an early night as I had had a long day and a long drive to get to Whittlesey. However, I was to discover that it was 'band practice' night directly beneath my room. The volume was heavily amplified and the floor literally shook. This went on until 10pm.
The next morning I asked the owner what was going on. He told me that there was band practice every Monday night. He also told me that my room was still being painted and would therefore offer me a discount off the rate of £55 reduced to £40 per night.

The owner explained that he was fully booked and hence the need to paint my room whilst I was staying in it. Fortunately I do not suffer from any bronchial conditions as it would have been quite dangerous for an asthmatic to remain in that room with the fumes.

I stayed in room 10 on two particularly hot nights and the room is airless and grubby. The 'painting' involved bright colour on one wall of peeling woodchip. My bedding was ripped and the chairs had nasty cheap throws over them.

When I returned home I had access to the internet again and the website bears no resemblance to room 10. I also discovered that the advertised room rate for a non en-suite should have been £35 per night. So I had actually being overcharged for the pleasure of staying in such an awful room!

I immediately emailed the owner and requested an explanation. I am still waiting for a reply, two weeks later.

On the plus side, the breakfast was tasty and the staff friendly.

I will not be staying here again and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank chankillo
Reviewed 9 July 2013

An excellent one night stay, with very helpful and friendly staff, good parking, a good traditional breakfast.
At least on a par with a lot of much more expensive hotels in the area, my first visit, and would certainly book again, and recommend it to anyone.
My one reservation would be, although I had an en-suite, I would not like to consider a room with shared bathroom, I thought those days were well behind us, but except for that one reservation I think the self appointed 2 stars is not enough.

Room Tip: If you are one for a night time trip or early morning trip to the loo, or like leasurely showers, ma...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Andy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittlesey
Days Inn Peterborough
5 mi away
The Pearl Hotel
The Pearl Hotel
#1 of 27 in Peterborough

Been to The Falcon Hotel? Share your experiences!