“Let down”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband took me for my birthday meal on sat 20 July. Never been here before despite living in the town for 6 years. Could never see in the window as blinds always down and windows covered with confusing lunchtime/offpeak offers. Tried to book for 7 but told 7.15. when we arrived only a table of 2 nearly finished and a table of 6 ordering so not rushed off their feet. Shown our table right next to kitchen door. No fans in restaurant despite hottest week of year. Menu reminiscent of 1980's but offered choice. ordered bottle of white wine, plonked on table in a wine cooler but neither wine nor cooler cold. when we poured not even condensation on glasses. could not get waitresses attention although 3 of them & no other customers they seemed to disappear, when husbands main of steak arrived the sauce he ordered had been forgotten so had to wait for it. I had rhubarb & crumble for dessert. DISGUSTING mush. no crumble as completely covered by custard. we ordered jug of water & had to ask twice in meal for it. saw waitress virtually at our table with it when she about turned & gave to customers who had not even ordered! Waitress could be heard to swear as she went into kitchen. had to find a waitress to pay! we are used to certain standards coming from a large town on south coast but seems this business has got complacent and is up for sale. Why does that not surprise me!

4  Thank Nicky S S

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Visited Bygones Bistro in Whittlesey. went at lunch time and apart from the lunch menu and light bites (10 inch baguettes with a variety of fillings), the full evening menu was also available, my wife says that the scampi dish she had was the best she has had for a very long time, and they serve hand cut chips, we ordered from the evening menu and we were brought a selection of hot rolls with butter while waiting for the meal, two good meals and drinks came to under £25 and we will be going again.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I took my wife to the Bistro on Saturday the 20th July her birthday have eaten at the Bistro before excellent meal,but Saturday evening my wife ordered the pate looked good but then from the lettuce crawled a maggot the salad on my plate and hers was not fresh I ate my starter not the lettuce and main meal my wife only had the main it spoilt what should have been a wonderful evening, my wifes main meal they gave free and the waitress was really upset saying how sorry she was so sorry wont be going again.

1  Thank derwen4
Reviewed 12 June 2013

another lovely meal went on the friday for lunch with my mum then again on the saturday night with friends from work and will be going again for my birthday in a couple of weeks great food just a hard decision knowing what to choose !!

1  Thank karen b
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Hi Alison
On behalf of my Auntie Pat, I would like to offer you and your excellent staff her sincere thanks for a successful and enjoyable afternoon for Ray's birthday celebrations.
You all really helped to make it a very special occasion and we were grateful that you didn't hurry us out even though we had run over time!
With very best wishes