The Hardwicke Arms Hotel
Hilton
Orbitz.com
Hotel Felix(Cambridge)
TripAdvisor
All reviewswimpole estatesunday carveryattending a wedding nearbywalking groupwedding venueeach eveningneeded somewherevillage pubat short noticefull englishnight stayroom was largearmchairsstarterscambridge
Reviewed 7 July 2008

This place has no redeeming features, apart from the fact that it is often the only place left with vacant rooms. There is a reason for that.

I suggest you avoid staying for more than one night. Otherwise you don't have the option of leaving very early in the morning to go home for a good scrub in your own (clean) shower.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Lalage2
Reviewed 28 October 2007

Having read the only other review of this hotel I found myself in total agreement with the reviewer , having stayed there recently . It came as a large shock to discover that this review was posted 2 years ago .
I don't think the carpets can have been cleaned since then and I can guarantee the rooms have not been worked on in any way since the 80's (the wallpaper , which was doing it's best to join me both in the shower and in bed , was the same as a pattern put up by my parents for a spare room in 1986/87 )
On a brighter note I would say that the restaurant is probably worth a visit as I could not complain about the food served during my stay .
My suggestion to the proprietors of the hotel would be that possibly spending a bit of time and money on their accomodation and possibly some staff training ( cleaners/bar staff ) would encourage people to return to stay . I regret to say it is too late for me although I may return one day ( but only to eat )

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Yantow
A TripAdvisor Member
Colchester
Reviewed 25 July 2005

Knew that it would be old fashioned - but there is a fine line between quaint and in desparate need of repair. Was most dissapointed. Were greeted with uninterested staff, not much of a welcome given. Carpets throughout were extremely dirty and covered in moths. Rooms were an extreme disappointment.

The room itself was dirty with chipped and flaking paintwork, dirty smelly carpets, cobwebs and moths everywhere. The shower was ungrouted, dirty covered in silverfish - Taps and shower covered completely with limescale, would not have used this facility at all given the state of it and it leaked as the door did not seal. Flaking wallpaper and paint everywhere. 3 other rooms within the hotel were in similar state, and 2 others although advertised as double en-suite were tiny and in the eaves.

Would not recommend this venue at all, felt totally unclean

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hardwicke, Manager at The Hardwicke Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2007

This is a most disappointing review, and not at all a true illustration of our hotel. We would ask that future travellers read other reviews from satisfied customers (and there are many!) regarding our rooms, dining, functions and weddings. We endeavour to ensure all our clients are happy at all times.