“Good food but appalling service!”

Statham Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lymm
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We recently went to Statham Lodge for Sunday lunch to celebrate a family anniversary. I hadn't been for a number of years but had fond memories of the place so was looking forward to going back.

Unfortunately, it was not quite as I remembered.....
- the staff were unhelpful, clumsy, scruffy and at times rude; we had to request a high chair 3 times before someone brought it to us
- they took our orders by table but then brought out our meals randomly so food arrived at each table at different times - the staff were left wandering around looking totally disorganised and resulted in us putting our hands up to get their attention if it was what we had ordered!
- I had to actually request a separate meal for my 2 year old daughter - at which point they had to go and check what they could offer her (they had been told prior to our arrival that there were children in our party)
- our main courses arrived before the children's (by which point they were bored and had gone past the point of eating)
- the room was sectioned off by a rickety partition that looked as though it had seen better days and almost toppled over on a number of occasions
- no-one came to collect any glasses from the table for the entire duration of the meal

On the plus side, the food was lovely and the gardens gave plenty of space for the children to run around.

However, for a supposed premier venue, I was left feeling really disappointed by the experience. In the past, I have known Statham Lodge to be a beautiful place with polite, professional staff who couldn't do enough and genuinely would go the extra mile to make sure your visit was a pleasant experience. However, we were left with distinctly amateur staff and it felt like a huge inconvenience to ask for anything - and we aren't a particularly picky or demanding family!

I really hope it was a one-off and not indicative of the general level of service at Statham Lodge. I won't be rushing back though.......

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Ladyloz_31

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Stayed 3 days for business. The room was spacious and clean, and tastefully decorated. The food was good and the bar/restaurant was nice. The garden must be wonderful in summer.
The only slight downer was a floodlight in the back garden which lighted up my room all night.
The location is great if you have a car, 20 minutes from Manchester airport.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank mrcheddar
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Another hotel I've used often with work and is my first choice when in the area. Wifi coverage is good & free.

Some of the rooms are perhaps a little dated and the beds not as comfortable as some, but it's always consistent and clean. Ideally you want a room in the main house - they've more character than those in the extended back.

The hotel gardens and surrounds are very pleasant with some nice sitting areas around the back of the hotel. Great if you're staying in the summer.

Food is good and the bar area pleasant with some large leather sofas. Breakfasts are ok.

A nicer choice than one of the faceless chain hotels.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank boytaylor
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I echo everything from the previous reviewer.

I have been a trainer for nearly 20 years and trained in venues across the world. The facilities at Statham Lodge were good and the surroundings make everyone feel relaxed. What made the difference were the staff, nothing was too much trouble. Every person I spoke to was warm, friendly and genuinely seemed to care and enjoy their job. Martin was particularly sweet. I stayed two nights, as a lone female the bar was very comfortable and the food excellent. I felt 'at home' very quickly.

The refreshments were great, as mentioned fresh fruit with lovely berries, pastries and scones, jam and cream. My only comment, which I fed back and it was changed, was they do cream tea at mid- morning and pastries in the afternoon. Surely it's morning pastries and afternoon tea? Perhaps it's a Warrington thing?

Can't wait to return.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank BeachBabeReading
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed at Statham Lodge last night as I have been on a training course there for 2 days. The accomodation is clean and comfortable and to a good standard. As this is an older property, obviously everything isnt brand new and some things are not 100% perfect but it is a character property and a very good one at that.

The hotel grounds really are well kept and extensive.

In my room, the training room and the bar, I received an excellent signal for the wi-fi both on my iphone and my laptop.

My room was very spacious, clean and comfortable, the bathroom was new and stylish and the white towels were very clean and of a very good standard. I particularly liked the seal around the toilet seat stating it had beern sanitised and it was spotless. I had a flat screen TV in my room, a hairdryer in the bathroom and even an iron and ironing board, not that I knew how to use this! I had a very well stocked beverages tray with tea, coffee, hot chocolate, biscuits and sweets.

The food was the best I have ever had on a training course and there was plenty of it. On both days we had Freshly baked scones with jam and cream for morning coffee, 3 course lunch with a choice of steak or salmon and a beautiful cheesecake. For afternoon coffee we had fresh pastries with fresh blackberries and raspberries.

Breakfast this morning was excellent also as was the 3 course lunch and the Raspberry and cranberry sundae (in the photo) was simply awesome.

The people were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

Although this was a business trip, I would not hesitate in spending time here with my partner.

Very pleased but need to go on a diet now!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 20 which was fine but nobody on our training course saidthey had a bad room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank woolleyterrier
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We got married earlier this month (17th March) and we chose to have our reception at Statham Lodge.
Our wedding coordinator:
From the minute we began to plan our wedding, our wedding coordinator Kelly was superb. Kelly listened to what I wanted and even suggested things we hadn't thought of.
Considering it had been a year since we had first initially started discussing ideas, Kelly remembered all of what had been agreed. I have never met anyone so passionate about what they do. Kelly was one in a million and definitely has her dream job. Attention to detail and very friendly, Kelly put me completely at ease and I had no concerns that she was overseeing my day - for a control freak this is a big thing!
The staff:
The day went smoothly without a single hiccup and all of the staff were lovely and friendly. On the morning of my wedding one of the cleaners even asked me how I was feeling and that they hoped I had a lovely day, I didn't realise that they knew who I was, considering the hotel was packed with our wedding guests.
The accomodation:
The rooms were immaculate and decorated very nicely, we stayed the night before our wedding so got the opportunity to stay in a room other than the honeymoon suite.
The Wedding Breakfast:
The food was superb. Such quality and a lot of it. We didn't really feel like eating our buffet in the evening due to the amazing 3 course dinner we'd had as our wedding breakfast.
The buffet was also superb though, looked amazing and a great selection.
Breakfast:
Breakfast on both mornings was superb - the only thing I would say and it's really minor is they should add the hashbrown to the main breakfast menu as well as the veggie one. It wasn't an issue to ask for it but I am sure a lot of other guests might not realise or just won't ask.
One thing I will say for any guests planning on staying, confirm what is on at the hotel the night of your stay. We stayed the eve before the wedding, there was a function on in the main room, which meant there was some loud music till midnight which we could hear in our rooms. This wasn't an issue for us as we were still up, however, this could cause some disturbance to other guests.
Everyone who attended our wedding would love to do it all over again and didn't want it to end.
I would recommend Statham Lodge to anyone. They aren't just a hotel. They have a superb restaurant and I have been on several occasions for their amazing silver service, 3 course sunday lunch!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank DLCrick
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed on our way to yorkshire,the first thing we commented on was the hotel grounds were very tidy , and the hotel look lovely.Our room was newly decorated and spacious.The meal in the bar in the evening was a bit disapointing and we had to listen to the bar person /waiter complaning about another member of staff .Breakfast would have been nice to be greeted with a smile,both members of staff did not look happy to see or serve guests,must say the lady cleaning we met very polite and smiled!.

Room Tip: We had a room looked on to car park,we had no noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymm
The Lymm Hotel
#7 of 22 in Warrington
Premier Inn Knutsford (Mere) Hotel
Mere Court Hotel And Conference Centre
ibis Budget Warrington Lymm Services

Been to Statham Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!