“Great Wedding but average rooms and snooty staff”

Statham Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lymm
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Wedding but average rooms and snooty staff”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Went to a wedding at this venue which appears to run its business around weddings functions and the evening do.
Paid £75 to stay with breakfast which was reasonable the room however for 2013 was very 70s bed had a stained old fitted quilt ontop of a old quilted sheet, no not a duvet some strange old cold thing. Room was freezing radiator came on slowly and was obviously turned off centrally at night. Shower powerful in room 28 ground floor
Buffet at night function very poor but maybe you get what you pay for.. My tum was bad the morning after too lukewarm chicken and cocktail sausages I suspect.
On a positive breakfast was excellent red hot and served in a beautiful room. Staff serving two elderly females with no nonsense attitudes.. Partner asked for just toast I asked for full English and enquired could I have toast too and was sternly corrected if you let me get to asking you the question you will ! It's not rocket science I order a breakfast you bring it from the chef in the kitchen that's it really but such grumpy attitudes almost spoilt the excellent breakfast which was the only positive if the stay it was cooked to perfection so Statham Lodge whoever cooks breakfast on Sunday mornings knows what they are doing the rest quite poor really .
Way past it's best very precious pretentious staff . On checking out I was gonna ring the brass bell as hadn't seen one on a hotel reception for years and was just about to when again sternly told not to as the manager counts how many times it's rung and chastises the staff !! Maybe get them to run the valance and top quilt thingy through the washer and dispose of white towels when they have
stains on them would be a better way to busy your staff.
Anyway the Cheshire I am better than you attitude is alive and well in Statham lodge lymm

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank BangkokBill786

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and our friends were married here on the Saturday. The bedrooms were so cosy and the beds so comfortable, we had a very clean and modern bathroom with bath and shower and when we requested breakfast in our room we were served a very big and enjoyable breakfast. They had the place looking stunning for the wedding. The staff really go all out to make sure it’s a perfect day. The food at the reception was amazing. All the staff from the waiters to the cleaners and reception staff are so warm and friendly. We actually noted a few times during our stay that it seemed like such a lovely place to work. They have the gardens looking beautiful, so nice in the evening when the fairy lights in the trees are on.

We had a brilliant weekend here and would definitely stay again.

Only downside to this hotel would be the taxi journey from the airport. We were charged £31 and only £20 on the way back to the airport.

Room Tip: Check if they have any functions in the hotel and request rooms away anyone attending that function...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank TeeMcPhee
UK
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We booked this hotel from trip advisor reports while en route to Blackpool. just off M6 a great location. On arrival greeted by lovely receptionist and shown to our delightful room . it was a suite . The room was very well furnished with a really comfortable bed, a small lobby with mirrored dressing table, which my husband enjoyed as he could hear the television with my hairdryer on,and very modern bathroom which was clean with lovely bath and large shower. we ate in the bar and it was super. The staff could not have been more attentive .I asked to change mushy peas for vegetables and met with a no trouble at all approach,as was the help with the wine choice .This reflected the attitude of all staff. Very refreshing! On return to our room it was noisy due to extractor fan from kitchen, this did stop and then it was a very quiet room for sleeping.we were offered to move rooms if it disturbed us too much .Breakfast was very good and overlooked quaint gardens. Would have loved to stay longer and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Be aware that Room 9 is noisy during late evening, but quality of room outweighs this.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank krystalklearUk
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We spent the day and night here for my friends wedding and it was simply awesome. Everything about it was fantastic and was very professional. The staff were all helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough for you. The rooms were nice, the beds were comfy. I could write loads here about it but I wouldn't be able to do it justice. If I didn't live 20 minutes away I would stay here again. I might even book a cheeky night here anyway ;-)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank IanBrutus
Pais
Reviewed 27 October 2013

+ ves
Fabulous location and great looking building
Clean and tidy
Friendly breakfast staff

- ves
Central heating malfunctioning - room cold. Was provided with fan-convector heater in small hours of morning. Not ideal with respect to a peaceful sleep (loud in operation with thermostat constantly clunking on and off) but certainly solved the warmth issue. Made enquiries about the nature of the fault with the reception attendant upon checking out. She went in to the back office to discuss matters. Upon her return she continued to prepare the invoice without comment. Upon prompting, she offered an unapologetic 'explanation' that the radiator perhaps needed bleeding after suggesting that the other radiators along the corridor were functioning just fine. Am I making it up I wonder?
- Customer service training required perhaps?

0930hs wake-up call didn't account for clocks going back
- Schoolboy/girl error

Towel rails directly above toilet - we returned to the room to find two bath towels inside the toilet bowl. Suppose there's a lesson learned with respect to closing lids!
- Bathroom design alternative?

Very 'average' quality vegetarian breakfast
- Fond memories of school-dinner-quality food

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Wetherby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed here in September with a number of family members. Surprisingly large hotel with well kept gardens and grounds just off the M6 near Lymm.

Comfortable & clean rooms though some were fairly small. Staff were attentive and very accommodating, making food and drink available as family arrived late in the evening from London and from abroad.

The hotel breakfast room was set out such that all of our guests were seated together and breakfast staff were particularly friendly.

Good value

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank maguirecn
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I recently went for the second time to a presentation evening, and came away with the exact same opinions.
The food was the same served as in the previous year and would of expected better. The rooms weren't the best and small and drink prices high. This year during the main meal we were served with a chicken dinner, our table was served first with the chicken and veg etc however last for the gravy. As they were serving the meals to the other tables i politely asked a waitress if we could have some gravy as they were then going to every table other than ours, (I thought they had just forgot to bring it to our table), at which point I was very rudely spoken to by a member of the serving team saying that they were going as fast as they can. Now I can appreciate that they were busy and wasn't questioning that but I would of thought common sense was if you serve a meal to a table serve all of it instead of half of it then everyone else then come back when there meal has gone cold. I think the waitress was very rude and I would never of spoken to anyone in that tone let alone a customer. A lot of people at my table commented on her rudeness. However to balance it out most of the serving staff were very good. The rooms were small but ok but check in was slow my friend also booked a twin but given a double and had to go back twice as he then had to go back as they key card didn't work. Over all its ok but not somewhere I would choose to go, as very disappointed for the second time

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymm
The Lymm Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,417 reviews
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
#11 of 21 in Warrington

Been to Statham Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!