“DONT GO TO FULL MOON GARDEN”

Full Moon Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Katunayake
South West England, United Kingdom
“DONT GO TO FULL MOON GARDEN”
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I can only say to anyone who has booked the Full Moon Garden hotel in colombo. DONT GO we arrived quite late from our flight from bkk It had been raining quite hard. We were shown our Delux room, we we had booked through agoda paying approx £48.00. What can i say !!! the room was a very poor offering we did look at each other and say well what must the standard be like. checking with the boys, we asked is this delux. Yes sir we were told with a very pleasant smile. We understood from the hotels web site that they offer 24 room service. we asked for a coffee to be told no sorry. in our "room" was a jug of water. not bottled, so we didnt bother with that. We were only staying one night so both just thought make the most of it but if this is delux in sri lanka what were we going to look forward to for the next 2 weeks.
I got into bed and it has to be said my side was ok. however my husband was not so lucky. his side was wet through. looking up at the ceiling it was quite clear that they had a problem with water coming in. was it rain or the room above we dont know but clearly we couldnt sleep in a wet bed. we called the reception and asked to change room. Why sir what is the problem their is no water. my husband demonstrated the problem by ringing out the bed cover were a very large puddle (small lake) was now on the floor OH MY GOD said the room boy. who disapeard and returned with a new bed cover, the bed sheets and floor all wet through and he brings a new cover. Everything done with a smile and i dont understand English. we explained that we did not want to sleep in this room, do you want another room,
It might be an idea ,but at least now he was getting the picture.
We moved a couple of doors down same standard of room, but this time bed appeard dry. Now at this stage you could call me picky but on going into the bathroom it appeared that a garden party had been thrown in this room, and the bath was the garden. dirt and soil all over. I pointed this out to the boy who again smiled. This room ok sir he asked my husband. One thing i have learned through travel to India and Asia is dont shout It wont get you anywere. I was now close to shouting. Could you get us a taxi we asked we want to leave. It was no point trying to get anywere close to a clean and dry room in this hotel. of course he didnt understand. Get me the manager I asked, I at this point started taking photo s of the room. In a split second he learned English. The manager appeared, very polite and of course with a smile asked what is wrong with the room. with a hand display around the room i said do you need to ask. He smiled. I then said tell me because we have never been to sri lanka before, is this what we can hope for and expect from your country for the next two weeks. he thought about that one and asked, would you like another room sir.
We once again trotted our bags to another room, this one i take it was a delux room. much nicer and if i m honest quite ok. The front door didnt close very well but hey ho.so what. we jumped into bed, it was now around 2.30 am. Because of the front door I decided better be safe than sorry and i put our bum bag with money passport etc in with us. Now had i not put the light on to do this we would have probably slept in complete happiness however I did.
With this super delux room came the additional extra of the in room pet,!!!!! I dont get excited about the odd bug, I m a fan of I m a celebrity so so scare to easily, However my first thought that we had a small rat or big mouse was quickly cleared up by my husband s shout of thats the biggest cockroach i have ever seen , running round the room armed with the waste bin (him not me) he set about the capture. We returned to bed, now with the lights all on and bum bag still in the middle and me with one eye open. we had a lovely nights sleep!!!. I am very pleased to say that our next hotel the mermaid in kalatara was not in the same class as this one Thankyou Mermaid we will now start to enjoy Sri Lanka. I will write more on this hotel when we leave.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We were a group of friends who landed in Colombo, Sri Lanka on the 1 November 2011. Full Moon Garden hotel is a place that I have frequented during my earlier trips but this was the first time I stayed for a night.

The hotel has a pretty good pool for both adults and kids. The pool depts is only 4 feet deep throughout. Everyday morning the pool is cleaned and was very inviting. The food area is around the pool and looks really cool. We had done no prior reservations but went straight to the hotel for rooms. We were told that rooms were available only for one day and that we had to vacate the second day. We wanted two double bed rooms. Each room cost us $45 each. The room were very small. Things to note: The bathrooms were clean and so were the rooms. Unfortunately none of the rooms had TV as they had been removed due to a recent lightening in the area for repairs. The phones were dead as well. The room space had just enought space to walk into the room sleep and walk out. The rooms were just on the sides of the pool which is the centre of the hotel.

There were absolutely no plug points to charge our mobile phones. And there was no internet.

One good thing was that there were no mosquitoes or other insects. The AC works but the fan runs only on one mode and any meddeling with the fan switchboard tends to stop the fan and this was the case in both the rooms we had taken.

Along the pool there are a couple of pool tables and a bar that is a good place to relax in the evening. Post 6.30PM there is a barbeque.

We attempted to exchange some dollars but the hotel had Sri Lankan money worth only $40 dollars so we had to go to the city to exchange more.

Had American breakfast for morning which was pretty good. Indian cusine like Chicken biryani sucked as a matter of fact, a yellow rice with a seperate pieace of fried chicken is called a chicken biryani.

Overall, the hotel is a good place to visit during the evenings for some refreshing drinks, pool game and relaxation along the pool side but staying in the hotel was not worth it.

Room Tip: All rooms are quieter and are along the pool side.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Katunayake hotels

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We arrived in Sri Lanka very tired and sleepy and it was 4AM so we took a tuk tuk that brought us to the nearest hotel to the airport. I think it was about 45USD and the price was so not worth the stay! I suggest you read the reviews before hand! The cab guy cheated us, we had to pay at the airport first then he drove us to the hotel. He was loitering around for a tip but after seeing the hotel condition, we decided to skip the tip.

We slept for 4-5 hours then checked out. My boyfriend couldn't sleep because the mosquitoes were biting him. Also, NONE of the rooms had any TV and no running hot water. There was a open window from the toilet and someone from outside can spy on you if you shower! We had to pull the curtains tight!

When we were walking downstairs to the receptionist, there was a man sleeping on a fold able mattress on one of the floors..just plain disgusting. The walls of our room were stained, the windows wouldn't open, BUT thank God the air cond was working!

When we checked out, I told the receptionist about the service, the room and the shower. He said they are on schedule to revamp the place (add TVs and much needed hot water shower) Anyways they had some loud music going on when we checked out and the kitchen/restaurant was open (I didn't dare thread in anymore, after having enough of the room) so I asked the guy at the counter if he could fill up my flask with water which he did and we both walked out of there-never going back again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SaltyBodiceRipper
Malé
Reviewed 22 February 2011

This hotel was close to the airport - really its redeeming feature. We arrived and were checked in slowly. We had a room with a living area and a bedroom for the four of us. They brought in a single bed but had no cot. We all slept in the same bed for most of the night then my husband used the single bed but couldn't sleep due to the loud fan. No lights worked in the living area but they did bring us a couple of lamps when we asked. The bathroom wasn't great, but I wouldn't bathe my kids in the bath. The dinner was nice but breakfast (American and English) was pretty awful. There was confusion over the bill at the end when I paid for breakfast in cash and then was charged again on my card (they apparently were aware that they were going to return my cash to me but didn't tell me that when i asked if the breakfast was included in the amount they were charging on the card.) Handy for a quick drop in, but only for that.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Travellingwith2kids2
singapore
Reviewed 8 February 2011

We stayed here for a night as we had an early morning flight to catch. The walls were stained, the bed sheets didn't appear to have been washed. The bell boys were surly and refuse to leave the room until you tip them. When I asked the receptionist for a blanket, the bell boys replied for him that I was not entitled to one.After talking to the manager, they agreed to provide one but it didn't materialise till we left next morning.
The only plus point is the proximity to the airport.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank singtraveller_11
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I will come straight to the point - we had fleas in the bed!
The bedroom & the bathroom, not up the any standard.

We had a great time down in the bar, as all the staff very friendly and the food was very good.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TomThomasKD
Clarkston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2009

We lived in Sri Lanka for 3 years, our home not far from this hotel. We went there for meals out ourselves and when friends and family visited. I also took the children from WISE International School there for their swimming lessons.
Staff very friendly and helpful. Would recommend to anyone looking for a reasonable priced hotel outside the city and near the airport. A good transient hotel too.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynda C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katunayake
The Gateway Hotel Airport Garden Colombo
#4 of 7 in Katunayake
Tamarind Tree Hotel
Tamarind Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Yatiyana

Been to Full Moon Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!