“last minute booking, better than nothing.”

Full Moon Garden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Katunayake
Phuket, Thailand
“last minute booking, better than nothing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I flew into Colombo around midnight so anything would have been acceptable to my backpacking standards, but if you are spending more than one night in Colombo, I would spend a little extra for a cleaner/nicer place that's in a better location. The rooms weren't very clean and the bedding appeared to be dirty from previous visitors- something that always freaks me out a bit. If they kept it cleaner, it would be a nicer place, the deluxe room had a little kitchen and living room area separate from the bedroom and bathroom. It was a good enough place to shower, get some sleep and have a quick breakfast in the morning before leaving Colombo.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Annie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Hello, booked the hotel to stay on late Nov. As It was early arrival , therefore didn't want to wake up the family. Man o man, what a piece of junk. No coffee, no internet, no TV, no telephone from the room to the reception. had to walk down several time to the reception to get the "i'm sorry sir" answer. Breakfast next morning,...... don't get me start on this.. I've never seen a slice of bread like this... it felt like toasted few days back. ... Guys, I'm a Sri lankan. Please do not do this our visitors. All they get is a negative impression.

Its a large property. There is good potential for this place, Coming from Hospitality background I think it can be managed much better.

Room Tip: Please get a different place
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Dan P

Travellers are raving about these Katunayake hotels

Exeter
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Given the price of the rooms in the hotel, I was very disappointed by the standard. Outside, the hotel appears very nice.. it has a nice pool and sunloungers, and is fairly pretty. However the rest of the stay was pretty bad.

It took ages to check in while the receptionist chatted with some local mates. Then I was shown to my (standard) room. This was pretty grotty. Everything looks chipped, or has had been given a half-hearted attempt to be painted. The TV didn't work (the plug prongs were bent and broken off). There was a air conditioning outlet right outside the window that made the windows all rattle really badly (I had to lean a stack of furniture against the window at night to stop it from happening). The coat rack had been made from cheap, wire clothes-hanger heads that had been screwed into a wooden board. The whole room smelt a bit like a toilet - I assume because the plumbing in the loo wasn't very good.

Foodwise, in the evening I tried the restaurant, and it took ages to come and was mediocre, but not too expensive.

At night, there was some sort of disco going on until fairly late - I think in the ball room that they have. In a month travelling round Thailand, Cambodia and Sri Lanka it was the first time I'd ever had to use my earplugs!

The one main mitigating factor of the hotel is that it is close to the airport, and you can get a tuktuk there for 500R or less. However given that the room is 45 dollars, I would recommend spending a bit more on a tuktuk and going to one of the nice guesthouses in Negombo, where you can get a much nicer stay for around 25 bucks.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
South West England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

I can only say to anyone who has booked the Full Moon Garden hotel in colombo. DONT GO we arrived quite late from our flight from bkk It had been raining quite hard. We were shown our Delux room, we we had booked through agoda paying approx £48.00. What can i say !!! the room was a very poor offering we did look at each other and say well what must the standard be like. checking with the boys, we asked is this delux. Yes sir we were told with a very pleasant smile. We understood from the hotels web site that they offer 24 room service. we asked for a coffee to be told no sorry. in our "room" was a jug of water. not bottled, so we didnt bother with that. We were only staying one night so both just thought make the most of it but if this is delux in sri lanka what were we going to look forward to for the next 2 weeks.
I got into bed and it has to be said my side was ok. however my husband was not so lucky. his side was wet through. looking up at the ceiling it was quite clear that they had a problem with water coming in. was it rain or the room above we dont know but clearly we couldnt sleep in a wet bed. we called the reception and asked to change room. Why sir what is the problem their is no water. my husband demonstrated the problem by ringing out the bed cover were a very large puddle (small lake) was now on the floor OH MY GOD said the room boy. who disapeard and returned with a new bed cover, the bed sheets and floor all wet through and he brings a new cover. Everything done with a smile and i dont understand English. we explained that we did not want to sleep in this room, do you want another room,
It might be an idea ,but at least now he was getting the picture.
We moved a couple of doors down same standard of room, but this time bed appeard dry. Now at this stage you could call me picky but on going into the bathroom it appeared that a garden party had been thrown in this room, and the bath was the garden. dirt and soil all over. I pointed this out to the boy who again smiled. This room ok sir he asked my husband. One thing i have learned through travel to India and Asia is dont shout It wont get you anywere. I was now close to shouting. Could you get us a taxi we asked we want to leave. It was no point trying to get anywere close to a clean and dry room in this hotel. of course he didnt understand. Get me the manager I asked, I at this point started taking photo s of the room. In a split second he learned English. The manager appeared, very polite and of course with a smile asked what is wrong with the room. with a hand display around the room i said do you need to ask. He smiled. I then said tell me because we have never been to sri lanka before, is this what we can hope for and expect from your country for the next two weeks. he thought about that one and asked, would you like another room sir.
We once again trotted our bags to another room, this one i take it was a delux room. much nicer and if i m honest quite ok. The front door didnt close very well but hey ho.so what. we jumped into bed, it was now around 2.30 am. Because of the front door I decided better be safe than sorry and i put our bum bag with money passport etc in with us. Now had i not put the light on to do this we would have probably slept in complete happiness however I did.
With this super delux room came the additional extra of the in room pet,!!!!! I dont get excited about the odd bug, I m a fan of I m a celebrity so so scare to easily, However my first thought that we had a small rat or big mouse was quickly cleared up by my husband s shout of thats the biggest cockroach i have ever seen , running round the room armed with the waste bin (him not me) he set about the capture. We returned to bed, now with the lights all on and bum bag still in the middle and me with one eye open. we had a lovely nights sleep!!!. I am very pleased to say that our next hotel the mermaid in kalatara was not in the same class as this one Thankyou Mermaid we will now start to enjoy Sri Lanka. I will write more on this hotel when we leave.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

We were a group of friends who landed in Colombo, Sri Lanka on the 1 November 2011. Full Moon Garden hotel is a place that I have frequented during my earlier trips but this was the first time I stayed for a night.

The hotel has a pretty good pool for both adults and kids. The pool depts is only 4 feet deep throughout. Everyday morning the pool is cleaned and was very inviting. The food area is around the pool and looks really cool. We had done no prior reservations but went straight to the hotel for rooms. We were told that rooms were available only for one day and that we had to vacate the second day. We wanted two double bed rooms. Each room cost us $45 each. The room were very small. Things to note: The bathrooms were clean and so were the rooms. Unfortunately none of the rooms had TV as they had been removed due to a recent lightening in the area for repairs. The phones were dead as well. The room space had just enought space to walk into the room sleep and walk out. The rooms were just on the sides of the pool which is the centre of the hotel.

There were absolutely no plug points to charge our mobile phones. And there was no internet.

One good thing was that there were no mosquitoes or other insects. The AC works but the fan runs only on one mode and any meddeling with the fan switchboard tends to stop the fan and this was the case in both the rooms we had taken.

Along the pool there are a couple of pool tables and a bar that is a good place to relax in the evening. Post 6.30PM there is a barbeque.

We attempted to exchange some dollars but the hotel had Sri Lankan money worth only $40 dollars so we had to go to the city to exchange more.

Had American breakfast for morning which was pretty good. Indian cusine like Chicken biryani sucked as a matter of fact, a yellow rice with a seperate pieace of fried chicken is called a chicken biryani.

Overall, the hotel is a good place to visit during the evenings for some refreshing drinks, pool game and relaxation along the pool side but staying in the hotel was not worth it.

Room Tip: All rooms are quieter and are along the pool side.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Doha, Qatar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We arrived in Sri Lanka very tired and sleepy and it was 4AM so we took a tuk tuk that brought us to the nearest hotel to the airport. I think it was about 45USD and the price was so not worth the stay! I suggest you read the reviews before hand! The cab guy cheated us, we had to pay at the airport first then he drove us to the hotel. He was loitering around for a tip but after seeing the hotel condition, we decided to skip the tip.

We slept for 4-5 hours then checked out. My boyfriend couldn't sleep because the mosquitoes were biting him. Also, NONE of the rooms had any TV and no running hot water. There was a open window from the toilet and someone from outside can spy on you if you shower! We had to pull the curtains tight!

When we were walking downstairs to the receptionist, there was a man sleeping on a fold able mattress on one of the floors..just plain disgusting. The walls of our room were stained, the windows wouldn't open, BUT thank God the air cond was working!

When we checked out, I told the receptionist about the service, the room and the shower. He said they are on schedule to revamp the place (add TVs and much needed hot water shower) Anyways they had some loud music going on when we checked out and the kitchen/restaurant was open (I didn't dare thread in anymore, after having enough of the room) so I asked the guy at the counter if he could fill up my flask with water which he did and we both walked out of there-never going back again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SaltyBodiceRipper
Malé
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

This hotel was close to the airport - really its redeeming feature. We arrived and were checked in slowly. We had a room with a living area and a bedroom for the four of us. They brought in a single bed but had no cot. We all slept in the same bed for most of the night then my husband used the single bed but couldn't sleep due to the loud fan. No lights worked in the living area but they did bring us a couple of lamps when we asked. The bathroom wasn't great, but I wouldn't bathe my kids in the bath. The dinner was nice but breakfast (American and English) was pretty awful. There was confusion over the bill at the end when I paid for breakfast in cash and then was charged again on my card (they apparently were aware that they were going to return my cash to me but didn't tell me that when i asked if the breakfast was included in the amount they were charging on the card.) Handy for a quick drop in, but only for that.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Travellingwith2kids2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katunayake
The Covanro
#2 of 2 in Ja Ela
Neo Holiday Home
Neo Holiday Home
#1 of 13 in Katunayake

Been to Full Moon Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!