“Excellent hotel close to airport”

Full Moon Garden Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Katunayake
Reviewed 20 April 2013

On reading reviews was a bit put off about this hotel, but it was close to the aiport which is what we wanted for an early morning flight. Glad we decided to stay there as we found it a wonderful place to stay. We found it clean, nice bedroom and sitting room even though we had only booked the cheapest room. Lovely pool, maybe you could be put off if youre a bit shy, as the pool is surrounded by the dining area, but all the same it was very clean and provided a refreshing dip. Food was fine and staff if anything were overwhelming, as soon as you put your drink down they were there offering more. Had a good nights sleep on a comfy bed ready for the morning flight - went to the airport via tuk tuk and only took 10 minutes, The hotel would supply a car to the airport if required, but we just walked to the end of the drive and a tuk tuk stopped immediately, charging us 300 rupees (£1.50) for the journey. Would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as a stopover for the airport, it wouldnt really be suitable for a long stay as there isnt much outside apart from a couple of local shops and garages.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LouiseStaffordshire

Reviewed 10 April 2013

The service was really good at the wedding reception of my nephew. Foods were really nice and we enjoyed it. Great place for "spend a day" on a nice big pool too. One of the best hotels and would love to recommend to the others

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Richardwilliams1
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I'm writing this because we had a wedding function in this hotel and one of the Catering service guys had asked my sister that they would enjoy her in the company her mates in a room in the hotel.
When we complained this to the manager they said they would take Disciplinary actions regarding the incident but nothing happened until the end of the function.
Then when we were about to leave the same caterer had gathered with their inmates to have a go at us while we were about to leave, totally in the revenge of the complain made by us.
There was a huge fight and most of our guys got injured since we were like 2 againts 20(the whole catering team).
It was so ugly to see them behave like this in front of in house local/foreign guests and this is a shame for Sri Lanka.
So I tell you never take your sister/girlfriend/mom even grandmother to this hotel. If you do keep watch of the Catering service guys.
Thanks.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank WarunaSP
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We spent 6 hours at the hotel because we had a night flight and the hotel is located near the airport. Terrible experience! Dirty, noisy, full of Mosquitos, has not been renovated for the last 20 years minimum, the bathroom was awfull, dirty linen and pillows! Stay away!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kantoV
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Normally when I visit Sri Lanka, I do pop into Full Moon Garden Hotel for a nice relaxing time and specially to enjoy the seafood on offer with the cashew nuts.

But when I visited in February 2013 this was not the case. I ordered the same dishes such as seafood platter which normally comes in a steamed hot pot. After waiting for an hour and questioning the waiter, a bland white plate came with small quantities of fish that look like was cooked by an amateur chef.

I was furious with regards to the dish as I had invited friends from around the world to have a good here and them taking my word for it. Actually all dishes did let me down in every way. On top of this the bland plate of fish was over price in which the total bill came to Rs 12000 which I could have gone to a five start hotel such as saman villas and enjoyed an amazing food experience and wouldn’t have cost a fortune.

When questioned the management a person by the name of Captain Russell came to speak to me. I explained the lack of food quality and the service. He was not even apologetic and went straight to bring the chef who was in charge on the day. I then again had to explain the situation the chef (WHO WAS NEW) but to no avail. No apology at all from any party even though it was a dish that actually could have been plated by anyone. It was one of the worst experiences I ever had…..

I will never take anyone here to have a food experience as the management lacked in poor skills to make the customer happy…

Try saman villas amazing simple food for quality and reasonable price. You would not be disappointed….

Room Tip: Try saman villas amazing simple food for quality and reasonable price. You would not be disappointed...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jays007
Reviewed 27 February 2013

On my way to leave Sri Lanka, i checked into a standard room for 3 days, and it was a pleasant surprise! The staff were positive and helpful, the pool-area was superb and the room was more like an appartment. The livingroom is really spacious and nice. The bedroom was also spacious and clean, and the bathroom was great. I dont understand the negative reviews here (I had no chance to check every room offcourse) , but i strongly recommend this place to anyone who is arriving and departing from sri lanka.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Frifot
Reviewed 25 January 2013

This Hotel is the worst I have ever stayed in for $65. The room you could hardly swing a cat in. The air conditioning unit was falling off the wall and did not work. Filthy heavy curtains on the wall revealed when drawn filthy windows and the view of scaffolding. The bathroom was dirty and had old pipes running up into the ceiling, and the towels had holes in them. Tiles were missing and the loo flush was jammed on upside down. It was extremely noisy as just outside the front door was a pool and restaurant. The breakfast in the morning only catered for Indians and when asked for boiled eggs and toast got a rather frosty look. The only good thing was the bed! I would recommend no one ever stays here, there are plenty of airport hotels dotted about the vicinity. I have learnt!!!

Room Tip: Don't look at the outside and the façade - ask to use the loo first
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank max c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katunayake
Ramada Katunayake Colombo International Airport
#1 of 2 in Katunayaka
New Hotel Home Feel
New Hotel Home Feel
#1 of 2 in Ja Ela

Been to Full Moon Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!