“Five years ago we vowed never to return, we wish we hadn't”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Shipham
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Country Pub in the Heart of the Mendips serving Locally Produced Food and Excellent Beer
badgworth
“Five years ago we vowed never to return, we wish we hadn't”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

The pub is in a pretty part of the county of Somerset, however the long wait, inability to clear away the first course, the quality of the ingredients ,the crude presentation and the poor waiting staff convinced us once again that the Swan at Rowberrow is not worth the visit. The building from the outside looks very enticing but once inside you can see the place has not been thoroughly cleaned or decorated for years, wallpaper is hanging off the walls, the ceiling has obviously had a leak at some stage and someone has just daubed some sealant on it. On the whole I am not sure how this pub has survived this long.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank maxBadgworth

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Long wait for food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We decided to have a quick lunch at the Swan Inn after a lovely walk. We now wish we had gone straight home, as it took over 45 mins to serve a very average flat bread. What annoyed me the most was that when I commented on the delay all of a sudden our food arrived as if it had been ready, but the lady serving the food obviously wanted to feed her children before us. There was also no apology for the long wait. Average food, very poor service.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Carol G
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting service and food not great!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Stunning location loved sitting in the gardens which was just as well because our food (burger and Brie and beetroot tart) took one whole hour! Burger was lovely homemade, tart could have been but pastry wasn't nice at all both hard and soggy. Even worse chips were macdonalds fries...so wrong in a place like this and for the price, really should have been homemade.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank LorWallace
Axbridge, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having ate few times before we decided to go tonight for our anniversary. What a waste of time and money. There were 7 items on menu not available. There were 7 fish dishes on menu and 2 dishes both stuffed with black pudding. Where's the choice when half the stuff is unavailable?
I had steak which had a load of fat running through middle. The so called peppercorn sauce contained no flavour at all. I had to ask for a steak knife. The plate was cold. The dish containing the chips had dried blood all around it. No one bothered to check to see if everything was ok. The waiter cleared the table and I mentioned to him about our concerns and he apologised and took the price of the sauce off our bill. When I asked who the Manager was I was informed it was the other member of staff on duty who could see that we were not happy and didn't even bother to speak to us. We will not be returning. A friend of mine was sat at the bar and I asked her about the standard of food (it's her local pub) and she said it's up and down! Don't bother wasting your money there.

• Visited June 2014
Bristol
“Sadly gone downhill”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

As a local living just 5 minutes down the road, I've been frequenting The Swan for 25+ years, enjoying a lunchtime bar snack, evening drink or take visiting friends for Sunday lunch followed by a walk in Dolberrow Warren. Not any more. Our last visit was very disappointing. I had booked a table for 8 people for Sunday lunch with visiting friends. We waited ages for our food to arrive. This itself didn't bother me as such, as I always put it down to the food being prepared & cooked fresh to order. Unfortunately in this case I'm not so sure. Those of us who ordered the roast beef found our meat fatty & chewy & all the meals were warm rather than hot. I was also surprised to see a dog wandering unsupervised around the tables inside. The staff who appeared in charge were different to normal, so maybe there has been a change in management/ownership? After a generally poor meal all round, I checked the displayed food hygiene rating on my way out, which was still showing as a 5. However, on getting home & checking this online it had in fact dropped to a 2 following an inspection late 2013, which explains a lot!

• Visited February 2014