“August 9th” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mustard Seed

The Mustard Seed
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, View, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Midlands
“August 9th”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was there with on Saturday 9th for the wedding reception of a relative. There were 80 people and it was the first time I had a 5-course meal. I couldn't clean my plate when it was the main course. I loved the food. During the afternoon, I discovered the kitchen garden at the back. I spoke to two of the three gardeners so I knew most of the vegetables were organic. You cannot get more local than the garden at the back. At 80 guests it was a bit tight when we were all inside the reception area. The rain had come and chased people inside However the sparkling wine was as nice as any champagne I tasted. The nibbles (especially the lemon drizzle cake) helped take the edge of hunger, also having had a 99 ice-cream at the chapel. The happy couple hired an ice-cream van which was parked outside at the end of the Mass. Perhaps that is probably why I couldn't finish my chicken and dessert. The whole house is full of interesting prints and ornaments that were collected by the owner on his travels. The view of the village below and the hill across was wonderful. The service was excellent and the staff were so pleasant. I would love to come back and spend a night there.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank hibernia_kelt

Lakeville, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“YUM! YUM!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Greeted by a super friendly owner and treated to one of the most wonderful meals ever. WHat a spectacular location. Quaint, charming, warm and delicious. Well worth the expense.

• Visited July 2014
Dublin, Irlanda
“Great Staff and Lovely Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here recently with my partner as a special anniversary treat. The welcome we received was second to none - nice, warm and cheery - without going overboard. The house is a lovely restored convent and the grounds are lovely to walk around too. Echo Lodge is about a 5 minute walk into Ballingarry - nice to stretch your legs and meet some of the locals in the typical local bar.

Our room was nice and airy - with lovely sash windows. The bed was comfortable and the area is lovely and quiet - so we had a great sleep. The addition of fresh flowers made it feel homely too. However, we did think it was a little tired and a little dusty - and the shower in the bathroom wasn't as spotless as we'd like! But that's probably being picky! The sheets and towels are of the highest quality - so no complaints there!

We had dinner in the restaurant too. Here, again, the service was really excellent. But we both agreed that a 5 course meal is probably not what most diners are looking for today. There are a lot of courses - small portions - and all good (if a little over-ambitious!) - so I can't imagine anyone going hungry. The menu is varied - and would cater to most tastes - but at €60 per person is a bit overpriced in my view. My experience is that people expect good quality, home cooked food (possibly 2/3 courses max) at good value. When you add in the wine and the water and the pre-dinner drinks, you don't get much change out of €200 for dinner for two. So it would really need to be a special occasion to justify that kind of spend!!

But overall, a great place to stay for a special occasion. Fantastic staff and a lovely atmosphere. Breakfast was a lovely experience too.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hellie_9
dublin
“Beautiful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We recently spent an evening in the Mustard Seed. The setting on a lovely summer's evening is special as the restaurant situated in an old convent has great views of the surrounding countryside. The welcome, the meal, the service was excellent and our only regret was that we couldn't stay the night there.

• Visited July 2014
Cheltenham
“They do everything to make you welcome and happy with your experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

From the moment you arrive at the magnificent grounds till the moment you leave - the surroundings are beautiful - the owner and the staff are warm and friendly - the food is a feast for the eyes and the taste buds. No detail is left to chance. We always enjoy our visit here. Thank you all once again.

• Visited June 2014