“Just as good as I remembered”

The Crown and Castle (restaurant)
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Orford
Price range: US$20 - US$48
Cuisines: Italian, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Trinity is the stand-alone restaurant for the Crown and Castle. It has a lively atmosphere and the tables are close together (be aware), with one special doggie table (30) in the bar area that definitely needs to be booked, although - please note - we only take reservations generally for Sunday lunch and dinner. Our Monday-Saturday Smart Pub Lunch offers an affordable and approachable choice of British and Italian dishes. Children of all ages are welcome. In the evening our a la carte is a little more sophisticated, but not tricksy. As we believe the evening is for adult enjoyment, we do not allow children under 8 years old, and there is no children's menu. Having said that, we are ALWAYS happy to serve menu ingredients more simply, both to adults and children. Sample menus may be viewed on our website.
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Had a meal this Saturday.

The Spring sunshine got me out for a lovely walk around Orford and along the coast followed by a perfect meal at the Crown and Castle at the end of the day.

Thoroughly professional, great local menu and a clever wine list.

They even put up with my dog that for some reason decided to behave not quite as impeccably as she can/should have.

Great stuff and thank you.

Props3, Owner at The Crown and Castle (restaurant), responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Ah, we like dogs, particularly at lunchtime - not for lunch, I should stress, but at lunch. Thank you very much indeed for taking the time post your very kind review. We are so glad you liked the menu and our 'clever' wine list. (Hope part of the cleverness is in the good value of the pricing!) We hope you will visit again on another sunny day.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

One of the main reasons we stay at the Crown & Castle (when we can afford to!) is for the food. As the late Michael Winner used to say, "it's historic". We have never had a disappointing meal there, and our latest visit was no exception.

The menu has just the right amount of choices (too many options makes me doubt that dishes are "home cooked"). We also enjoyed a drink in the bar beforehand; the drinks menu has an interesting selection of sherries, grappas and ports (to name but some). We went for the house wine (white one night; red the next) and decided it was a good choice (ie not just saving money).

The waiting staff are friendly and cheerful, without being over attentive (unlike some restaurants we've been to). I'd never have guessed one person was a trainee, had it not said so on his name badge.

The large wood burning stove is lit from morning to night. It helps to create a fantastic atmosphere. If you go you can't fail to spot the lovely wall lights; Murano glass. Although we are not dog lovers, the "dog table" adds a nice touch (especially the rug on the floor, and the bowl of water!). It's also refreshing to be asked "would you like some tap water" with your meal. Many restaurants try the "still or sparkling, Sir?" tactic.

Props3, Owner at The Crown and Castle (restaurant), responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you very much indeed for your enthusiastic review of our food and the bar/wine list, too. (The latter a very important feature of any good meal. My husband always orders the wine first when we eat out as thinks it's more important.) We are delighted you enjoy the style of service, log fire and dog table too – a particularly generous remark from someone who is not a dog lover himself. I am just sorry you can't afford to stay/eat with us more often! Of course, if 33% of the bill didn't go straight to the Exchequer, it would help. But thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I had a lunch there and I thought it was some of the best British food I had ever eaten. I had a steak and kidney pie which was absolute perfection. I sat with a beautiful view of Orford Castle, which only improved perfection! The only dissatisfaction was that there about six starters that I really wanted to try, and I could only try one. In most restaurants I find just one or two starters that really interest me.

Therefore strongly recommended. Their "no mobiles" policy may not appeal to everyone (and was not being enforced at least when I was there), but I quite like it.

Thank you very much indeed for your vote of confidence in our steak & kidney pie (which is jolly damned good, I agree) and the Castle which is also jolly damned good. Thank you, too, for pointing out that we ask people not to use techno-gadgetry during lunch (or dinner). I am very happy for this message to be disseminated to the far reaches of the globe. Meal times are for socialising not looking at an (unjolly) damned screen!! (And I am not a technophobe either: I love my mini iPad.) We hope your will return at a future date.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were in Orford and having looked at the Castle (which is well worth a visit) wanted somewhere for lunch. I was a little cautious on entering the Crown & Castle as i had read previously that it is not a very child friendly hotel and assumed the restaurant would be the same (we had our young children with us). How wrong i was!
We could not have been made to feel more welcome and enjoyed a very relaxed lunch in lovely surroundings. The menu is excellent with largely locally sourced food in interesting dishes and while there is not a children's menu they were perfectly happy to prepare smaller plates of anything on the menu.
The food was excellent, the wine list interesting and the staff were attentive throughout - i have no doubt we will return - highly recommended.

You are right - the Castle is well worth a look! From the top, on a clear day, there is a marvellous view. You are also right – we do have caveats about children (and dogs) if they cause mayhem and prevent other customers enjoying their lunch. That said, the vast majority of families are a joy to look after and we love having them eat with us. So, thank you very much indeed for both voicing your initial concern, and for letting TA readers know that you had a good experience. We really do appreciate it.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Myself and my husband have visited Orford on several occasions after discovering it by accident, on a search for a good dog walking spot. We have mostly visited in Summer where we have picnicked or stopped to lunch outside, but we decided to go over Christmas and try out The Crown & Castle. We only used the restaurant but the service on arrival was lovely having somebody to take our coats. I was a little worried after we arrived as we had my 8 year old niece with us, but they made us feel very relaxed and welcome. Food was very good, particularly the chips which I had to pinch from the others plates as they looked so good. Not a brilliant food choice for children, but then wouldn't probably recommend it to families with small children. Far too nice in my opinion. We are lucky my niece is so well behaved! All round perfect start and treat to Christmas. Would definitely go back by ourselves. Would be perfect for a special occasion, or romantic getaway if you wanted to stay. Orford is a beautiful village to explore.

1  Thank FairyBuryStEdmunds
Props3, Owner at The Crown and Castle (restaurant), responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Thank you very much indeed for your lovely review of the Trinity. Children are always welcome at lunchtime but I would by lying if I didn't say it helps enormously if they behave as well as your niece! We are so glad you obviously life Orford very much as well - it is a very beautiful area. Thank you again, and we hope to see you in the future - perhaps you'd care to stay? We have some very nice bedrooms, too!