“Excellent lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Orford
Price range: US$19 - US$44
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Trinity is the stand-alone restaurant for the Crown and Castle. It has a lively atmosphere and the tables are close together (be aware), with one special doggie table (30) in the bar area that definitely needs to be booked, although - please note - we only take reservations generally for Sunday lunch and dinner. Our Monday-Saturday Smart Pub Lunch offers an affordable and approachable choice of British and Italian dishes. Children of all ages are welcome. In the evening our a la carte is a little more sophisticated, but not tricksy. As we believe the evening is for adult enjoyment, we do not allow children under 8 years old, and there is no children's menu. Having said that, we are ALWAYS happy to serve menu ingredients more simply, both to adults and children. Sample menus may be viewed on our website.
Brandeston, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We had lunch here recently and found the food and service superb.
A lot of local produce served in a stylish surrounding.
Local sprats were amazing and bread from nearby pumphouse bakery.
All good but did feel it was quite expensive but you cannot fault the ambience and quality.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Props3, Owner at Crown and Castle – Trinity Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
First, my apologies for not responding sooner. I often forget we have two sites on TripAdvisor, one for the Trinity restaurant and one for the Crown and Castle in its hotel guise. I am not sure why this has happened and will be asking if we can have them merged!

We are grateful for the praise you give our food, service and surroundings. Of course, I am also sorry that you thought it was 'quite expensive'. We actually accept a reduced margin at lunchtime to try and keep the prices down. The sad but true fact is that good produce is expensive and the staff costs (that support the service you kindly describe as 'superb') are really expensive. It's very difficult to serve good food nicely at low cost. But I understand your comments and take them on board.

We hope you will visit again, and thank you once more for taking the time to post your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I visited The Trinity, on an impromptu basis, for lunch this past weekend. We received a warm welcome, a choice of tables in a busy (but not packed) restaurant and attentive service.

The starters we had proved very good; the steak and kidney pie can only be described as unctuously delicious. Had it not been for the deeply filling starter and subsequent pie, I would have attacked the puddings with gusto.Sadly I was defeated, but look forward to returning again.

The roaring fire was a pleasing feature in the restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Alex_W81
Props3, Owner at Crown and Castle – Trinity Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted that you came in for an impromptu lunch (no bookings taken anyway from Monday to Saturday) and that it came up to snuff. Good to hear you had our famous steak and kidney pie - it is good, isn't it. (Well, yes, you've just said so.) We hope you will return on a future date although we can't promise a roaring log fire in August, although it has been known with our weather....
London, United Kingdom
“Just as good as I remembered”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Had a meal this Saturday.

The Spring sunshine got me out for a lovely walk around Orford and along the coast followed by a perfect meal at the Crown and Castle at the end of the day.

Thoroughly professional, great local menu and a clever wine list.

They even put up with my dog that for some reason decided to behave not quite as impeccably as she can/should have.

Great stuff and thank you.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Ah, we like dogs, particularly at lunchtime - not for lunch, I should stress, but at lunch. Thank you very much indeed for taking the time post your very kind review. We are so glad you liked the menu and our 'clever' wine list. (Hope part of the cleverness is in the good value of the pricing!) We hope you will visit again on another sunny day.
Essex, United Kingdom
“Food, service & surroundings at its best.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

One of the main reasons we stay at the Crown & Castle (when we can afford to!) is for the food. As the late Michael Winner used to say, "it's historic". We have never had a disappointing meal there, and our latest visit was no exception.

The menu has just the right amount of choices (too many options makes me doubt that dishes are "home cooked"). We also enjoyed a drink in the bar beforehand; the drinks menu has an interesting selection of sherries, grappas and ports (to name but some). We went for the house wine (white one night; red the next) and decided it was a good choice (ie not just saving money).

The waiting staff are friendly and cheerful, without being over attentive (unlike some restaurants we've been to). I'd never have guessed one person was a trainee, had it not said so on his name badge.

The large wood burning stove is lit from morning to night. It helps to create a fantastic atmosphere. If you go you can't fail to spot the lovely wall lights; Murano glass. Although we are not dog lovers, the "dog table" adds a nice touch (especially the rug on the floor, and the bowl of water!). It's also refreshing to be asked "would you like some tap water" with your meal. Many restaurants try the "still or sparkling, Sir?" tactic.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Props3, Owner at Crown and Castle – Trinity Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you very much indeed for your enthusiastic review of our food and the bar/wine list, too. (The latter a very important feature of any good meal. My husband always orders the wine first when we eat out as thinks it's more important.) We are delighted you enjoy the style of service, log fire and dog table too – a particularly generous remark from someone who is not a dog lover himself. I am just sorry you can't afford to stay/eat with us more often! Of course, if 33% of the bill didn't go straight to the Exchequer, it would help. But thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
“Just superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I had a lunch there and I thought it was some of the best British food I had ever eaten. I had a steak and kidney pie which was absolute perfection. I sat with a beautiful view of Orford Castle, which only improved perfection! The only dissatisfaction was that there about six starters that I really wanted to try, and I could only try one. In most restaurants I find just one or two starters that really interest me.

Therefore strongly recommended. Their "no mobiles" policy may not appeal to everyone (and was not being enforced at least when I was there), but I quite like it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much indeed for your vote of confidence in our steak & kidney pie (which is jolly damned good, I agree) and the Castle which is also jolly damned good. Thank you, too, for pointing out that we ask people not to use techno-gadgetry during lunch (or dinner). I am very happy for this message to be disseminated to the far reaches of the globe. Meal times are for socialising not looking at an (unjolly) damned screen!! (And I am not a technophobe either: I love my mini iPad.) We hope your will return at a future date.