“Never disappointed!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is the third time I have visited this little restaurant, and it still does not disappoint at all! It is still the best squid I have ever eaten!
The fish is just amazingly fresh, simply cooked, generous in portions, and a very reasonable price considering how much you get and the standard of the food.
It is all about the fish so if you are after meat or a veggie option, I would not come.
The fish is served with a simple side of potatoes, which is really all you need as it is all about the fish.
Yes the decor is very simple. The staff friendly and attentive. There is nothing fancy about this place so again if that is important then you may be disappointed, but its in a beautiful little village on the coast, and there are a couple of nice little local pubs for a little drink before you go in.
Looking forward to going back to Suffolk and visiting again!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Went to the Butley Orford Oysterage for a meal with my family Sat 16th Nov. Although as people have stated the tables and chairs are a bit basic. The food here is excellent. We opted for a starter of whitebait and my stepdaughter had a seafood pate with toast. Both were excellent .We all decided to have the hot seafood platter which comprised of grilled squid ,a grilled sardine, some lovely mussels and some prawns served with some lovely fresh bread. What a treat, a seafood lovers dream. Other dishes were a crab salad, a dover sole, lobster and oysters were also on the menu. Wine , beers and soft drinks also available and not forced on you, jugs of water served without charge.
Excellent as were the polite efficient and friendly staff. well done

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Food was excellent and prices reasonable. Unfortunatly this resturant is let down by poor service. We had to que to be seated and to pay(bizarrely payment taken at counter) and the staff were only interested in the table of locals next to us.

1  Thank CjLloyd
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I know that I have reviewed this restaurant before but having lunched here again last sunday, I simply can't ignore the pleasure of coming here.
This is the first restaurant that I visited in Suffolk 40 years ago, and it has not changed, except that dear Mrs Pinney, a very feisty lady but always with a twinkle in her eye, has now passed away. Yes, of course the prices have changed, but it is basically still the same serving excellent fresh and smoked fish dishes. Simple, french bistro style interior, still the marble tables with paper table clothes, very friendly cheerful service, busy and buzzy, it's always a great joy and treat to come here, I love it.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

After a fantastic visit to the castle, we decided to pop into the Butley Orford Oysterage for lunch. We were just after something light and tasty, and we were not disappointed - the smoked prawns were delicious but were trumped by the fantastic fish pate served with lovely granary bread. The restaurant decor was low-key but clean and the waitress was friendly and helpful. A great little local restaurant.