“Friendly service and well prepared plates”

Butley Orford Oysterage
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Orford
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Had a meal here on Thursday evening before Easter. Been here once before and was not disappointed on this return.

There is a good selection of seafood and other plates but I highly recommend the smoked fayre and local Butley oysters.

We three opted for a smoked platter, a grilled platter and half a dozen oysters, which provided an opportunity to sample much of what was available. The meal was superb, well presented and well portioned.

Good wine list and choice of desserts, although by this time we could only manage a cheeseboard (a good sized one with a mix of local and other cheeses) between us.

Will certainly return again soon.

Service was exceptional.

4  Thank StuBud

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have a ritual, like many others no doubt, of making a small pilgrimage to this wonderfully old fashioned and unaltered restaurant from one generation to another. I expect the Oysterage looks exactly the same as when my father used to visit it 30 years ago, as when we go today - and the menu probably hasn't changed much either. But this is good because what the Oysterage does best is the freshest, simplest fish and the fattest oysters you will ever see or hope to savour (anywhere in the world). Fabulous. The garlic mussels are also not to be missed. Then the almond filled apple pie is exceptional. I have never eaten anything other than these three things at this great little restaurant, nor will I ever wish to as this is part of the joy of returning there, again and again.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We Came for Tuesday lunch on a whim and were greeted with straightforward charm as usual. I thought back and worked out that I have been coming here off and on for 35 years. Back then the menu was oysters, smoked salmon, simply cooked fish Lobster, Crab and a few smoked specialities. The wine list was brief, French and white. The salad contained soft head lettuce quartered tomatoes and sliced onion and the bread was Allinson's wholemeal.
Now the menu is much the same with a few more modern additions (chorizo!) but the preparation of the best and freshest fish is still peerless.
The room has not changed. tables a bit small and too close together ( not a problem on a Tuesday lunchtime) No Fawning fripperies just Suffolk politeness and efficiency. Granted on some days, this being the "heritage coast" there is an excess of the braying mustard-trousered brigade but without world revolution we are stuck with them.
I had the taramasalata, made with their own smoked cod's roe. It was deep and rich with a wonderful powerful fishy smokiness but with none of the bitterness so often present. Now an improvement!! the bread now comes from the Cake Shop in Woodbridge and although soft it has a good heft to it with tasty multi grains. And another A modern-looking salad with no discernible onion rings!.
My Wife then had Grilled cod with parsley sauce and new potatoes. Yawn I hear you say but this was a big piece of perfectly cooked fish with the lightest sauce, herby, lifted by lemon, smoothed with a little cream.
I had the Griddled Squid with garlic mayo. Simply perfect.

So, still improving after 35 years and still just doing what they do.
Worth a small table and a little overheard braying anytime in my book.

2  Thank bevandavidrhys
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We loved this unpretentious, quirky restaurant. The food was yummy, my husband went for the oysters and actually said they were the 'best he'd tasted' in the UK! I had the smoked prawns which were very good, but a bit fiddley as I had to peel them. Our main courses were equally delicious - daily special and crab salad and cooked/prepared perfectly. The restaurant wasn't busy - it was Tuesday lunchtime, and so we did not experience the noisy overcrowding mentioned in previous reviews.
Well worth the journey - such a lovely location.

1  Thank Sue B
Reviewed 5 March 2014

It's taken a little while to find the time to write this review. Time enough to reflect on whether our visit to the Butley Orford Oysterage was memorable. And it was, for both great and bad reasons. The oysters themselves may have been the best we've ever eaten. Fresh and bright and fine. Other dishes were great too - we had the chorizo prawns, griddled sardines and the wing of skate, and those on other patrons' plates looked equally very fresh, solidly prepared, without unnecessary frills. Although this isn't a place you come to inspire veggies, the leek and potato soup was sound too. The ambiance is light and relaxed, with Butley sea themed hangings and a sunny and airy decor. But here is where the very negative memories cloud our experience. Kids are welcome, which is fine, consistent with the atmosphere of the place. But when a couple of them right behind your table scream incessantly and neither parents nor staff do anything about it, it spoils the whole lunch for everyone else. The tables are really close together, you can't escape others' conversations and / or shouts. Sort that kind of thing out and this review would be 5 starred.