“Fine Old Inn”

Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Fine Old Inn”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Spent a couple of days staying at this lovely old inn with character - old oak beams and twisty floors upstairs - in our comfortable room enjoy the peace of the Suffolk coast and countryside. The good food and fine Adnams ales ensured we kept enough energy to enjoy our walks along the sea. Excellent place to stay for a break. Thanks to the new hosts Ian & Suzanne.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank RobCenturion

Ottershaw, United Kingdom
“great pub”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were staying with friends about 12 miles away when we found that an old mate and his wife had taken over the pub so had to include it in our tour. Made very welcome, the staff are very friendly and efficient and we had a great night out ( my wife said it might have been too great !!!) The menu is well thought out with local specials and the service was efficient. Recommend it highly and we will be returning next time to stay and explore the local attractions. Ian and Suzanne the hosts have only recently taken the pub over and have made a great start and as they take it forward it will be a must visit in the village.

1 Thank Michael J
ipswich
“Weekend Stay”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a night in the Kings Head while meeting friends locally for dinner and some drinking, the place was recently taken over so the owner still trying to find his feet. We were welcomed and looked after really well, the rooms was adequate but just a little dated, with some TLC and an injection of modernism to the rooms I think all in all this would be a great place going forward.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Powerscape
London, United Kingdom
“Great pub!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

A wonderful local pub in Orford which I visited a few times while on a break in the village...great selection of beer and a decent range of pub food which I thought represented good value.

Very friendly staff, very welcoming atmosphere and best wishes to the new owners!

Recommended!!

1 Thank jcolesw2
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Very friendly and welcoming but disappointed with the food”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The pub was very welcoming and the staff were all really friendly and pleasant throughout our visit. The atmosphere was lovely, with a good mix of locals and visitors and a wide range of ages. My husband commented that the beer was also very good.

Sadly we were disappointed by the food. In addition to the main menu, there was an extensive choice of "specials", from which I initially selected sea bass. We were told that they had just sold the last portion, and so I ordered sole instead. I was then informed that they had also just sold the last portion of sole, so I ended up with my third choice of lambs liver! What made this all the more surprising was that it was only 7.30 in the evening - not exactly late! In my opinion, it would have been better to have removed these dishes from the menu before they were down to the last portion, to avoid disappointed customers.

The food itself was OK - good pub grub - nothing fancy. The liver was slightly over-cooked for my liking, but I guess that is a matter of personal preference. I really hope they can fix the problems we encountered, as it was otherwise a very nice pub.

1 Thank Carole S
Suzanne B, Owner at The King's Head, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for your review and we are sorry that we had sold out of the fish specials on the evening you visited. Our fish is locally sourced and bought fresh on a daily basis so we are reliant upon the catches of the local fishermen. As such our stock holding fluctuates with the weather, tide and season and demand had obviously exceeded our expectation on the day you ate with us.

Our menu changes on a daily basis and we do remove items from the specials board as soon as practicably possible so again apologies for your disappointment and thank you for your feedback, all of which we use to continually improve the business.