“The best mini break in the Suffolk/Norfolk area”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crown & Castle

and 1 more site!
The Crown & Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orford
Norwich, United Kingdom
“The best mini break in the Suffolk/Norfolk area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Thank you once again for a fantastic stay - we only live in Norwich, so only about an hour away, but by far the best place in the Suffolk/Norfolk area, for a quick "mini break". We have been several times before and it never fails to please. The food, wines, service & rooms are all great. My husband's calves liver with polenta was amazing, and the stuffed baby squid was equally delicious, and that's without mentioning the very drinkable Chateauneuf du Pape! We also had fantastic weather this weekend and also discovered The Smokehouse (located down a very quite little lane in the village) where we bought a "just out of the smokehouse" ham hock for dinner which smelt and tasted divine. We will definitely be back - I hope sooner rather than later! Both the management and all the staff are a complete credit to you - thank you!
Rachel & James Whittaker

Room Tip: Garden rooms are great if you like the advantage of having an area outside to sit in, however the 2...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful report, not least that you made yourself known. I am longing for the day that TripAdvisor realises its site would have far more validity if all reviewers had to give their real name. Rather more important than my carping about anonymity, we are always delighted to welcome you to the C&C and are so pleased that we continue to come up to standard. Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I were lucky enough to be given a weekend away as a gifr. After hours of searching different locations we decided upon this little gem of a place, and how glad we are that we did!

The weather this weekend has been stunning and emphasised the beautiful setting of the hotel. We really cannot fault the place from the gorgeous bedroom (we stayed in room 1) to the wonderful staff who really go out of their way to ensure a comfortable stay. The breakfasts and dinners were top notch and it was a lovely touch to arrive on Friday afternoon and have a couple of drinks in front of the roaring open fire. We also loved the fact that the hotel is dog friendly and we loved meeting all the dogs staying there this weekend.

The only negative for us is that we couldn't have stayed longer and enjoyed the wonderful hospitality more!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
We are really delighted that you enjoyed your stay, despite your initial trepidation! Thank you very much indeed for reviewing us so nicely, and also liking the fact we welcome dogs as well as human beings. (In moderation - the dogs, I mean.) We do hope you will return on a future date although we can't promise the weather will be quite so stunning as it has been recently. Thank you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Crown and Castle is somewhere my husband and I have been wanting to experience for the last few years and we were finally able to get there this weekend to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday. And it didn't disappoint.

We booked the suite and we have come away with ideas for our new home! It's a hotel room without feeling like you're in a hotel but still experiencing a well deserved treat, which is something I personally love. The furniture, the bed (where is that mattress from by the way?!), the soaps, fresh milk in a flask are all touches of the room which I'm sure makes the Crown and Castle somewhere that people want to return to. We personally loved the balcony soaking up the late afternoon sun.

The staff were attentive without being intrusive (I think everyone should have a Tim at home!) and were on hand to offer advice/recommendation when needed. Food was lovely and the breakfast was perfect portion sizes, having had a bit of everything that was offered for breakfast it made a change to ask for a full English and not be battling around the plate with a mound of food. Whatever the jam/chutney was on the table at breakfast it was delicious. I totally agree with no phones/iPad in the restaurant, my one and only thing that would have made it 100% is a little bit of a background music,
particularly in the evening, but that's personal taste. I think between the two of us we did pretty well with holding a conservation for nearly 3 hours! It was if one of us nipped to the loo it felt like who ever was left behind was intruding on the conversation of the diners next to you. Very much personal taste though and certainly not something that would put me off coming again. I'm just disappointed that, due to my pregnant state, I wasn't able to experience the seafood and wine. My husband however did and made a good effort of putting a dent in your wine cellar!

Orford itself is lovely too. Very pretty, quiet and peaceful. Can't wait to come back for another baby free weekend!

• Stayed March 2014
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Your review is so lovely, so long and so appreciative, it's a marvel. We are glad you enjoyed the suite and all its facilities. (The mattress is Lansdowne Cashmere, made by Hypnos, by the way and if you do contact them, please mention our name. Our contact is Amy on 01159 732180.) Of course, we can't take any credit for the sun-soaked balcony, but it's good that you were able to enjoy it in mid-March.
Thank you for honouring our staff and I agree completely: every home should have a Tim! (He can cook, too!)
You mention a desire for background music, but I am afraid that's never going to happen. As I think I have said before (somewhere) it's nigh on impossible to play music that would be to everyone's taste, and the end result is that awful musak. But I am very pleased its absence won't be enough to deter you coming again.
Thank you again for such a wonderful review and we hope you will return post-pregnancy.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

My first stay, although I have visited for Lunch previously, and two nights for a special birthday celebration, was superb from start to finish. Not easy catering for eight all in party mode, but nothing was too much trouble, and the food, both dinner and breakfasts were really special, a truly warm friendly team, with thanks and well done to you all.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thank you very much indeed for your kind review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and have found the time to let everyone else know, too! We hope to welcome you back on a future occasion, with or without the lovely group of friends and family. Thank you again.
Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Our second visit after a two year gap (sadly, we can't afford to go more often). If you get in quick, the Early Bird offer is fantastic; we were able to stay in the suite once again at the same price as the other rooms. The suite was just as lovely as we remembered; although we would have appreciated more luxurious comfy chairs in the sitting room area. After all, this is THE SUITE!

I also feel that something could, and should, be done to improve the ambiance and appearance of the balcony (which was said by management to be primarily a fire escape). Subject to planning permission, etc, surely it's possible to put some sort of screening on the railings, to ward off the wind, etc. A potted plant wouldn't look out of place either.

A minor problem with the plumbing in the cloakroom was put right the same day, although I did wonder why housekeeping (who are lovely, hard working people) hadn't spotted this before we did).

On a more positive note, Ruth Watson connected my wife's iPad to the hotel's wifi, as we couldn't work out how to do this. Tim Sunderland (also known as David), one of the other managers, also made us feel especially welcome.

As for the food, this was the highlight of our visit. On both evenings, the evening meal was fantastic. Great choice, superbly cooked, presented and served. Breakfast was equally enjoyable. Like another reviewer, however, I would have liked a little more on my plate, but didn't like to ask (although baked beans were served to me, as requested). However, having also eaten granola, followed by toast and a crossant, I can't complain about feeling hungry!

We definitely want to stay again, or at least have lunch in the interim.

Room Tip: The newish terrace rooms, which we were shown, looked like excellent alternatives to the suite; espe...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
We are delighted to hear that the Crown and Castle "never disappoints" even if you don't like the armchairs in the suite. I recognise they are on the petite side so have ordered new ones to replace them, which I hope is a sufficiently responsive reaction!

However, as I explained when you brought the subject up during your stay, there is absolutely nothing we can do about enclosing the balcony, as it is a designated fire escape. The fact that we sequestered a corner of it to make a little sitting out area is just a bonus, not its main purpose. To enclose it in any way would compromise its validity as a fire exit, possibly endanger lives and certainly contravene planning regulations.

Just to clarify another point you made, Tim is not also known as David! Tim Sunderland is our GM and a partner in the business; David Watson, a completely different person, being a Scot not least, is my husband and also a partner in the business.

I think it's also providential to mention here the issue of breakfast quantities. As you say yourself, you didn't actually leave hungry. If guests take everything on offer (from freshly squeezed orange juice and tea to yoghurt with fruit compote or cereal, smoked haddock & poached egg or 'the full English', followed by a basket of croissant, pain au chocolat and croissants), there is no question that our breakfast is generous. In fact, most guests rely on it to take them through to dinner. Anyone wanting two eggs rather than one, or an extra sausage, is more than welcome to have them – even the dreaded baked beans which, personally, I think are an abhorrence but each to his own! The point is we want people to leave the table feeling replete.

In conclusion, thank you for your long review and the many points you made. We are delighted that, overall, you enjoy staying at the C&C and hope you will return in due course.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

It took us fair amount of time to find a special weekend retreat that we could enjoy with our Pug puppy. I am glad we made the right choice to visit the Crown and Castle.

The service from the reception, restaurant and cleaning staff was first rate. The garden rooms are great and fit the purpose and the main seating and bar area is very comfortable. The open fire is nice touch and it’s very relaxing if you have been out on a bracing walk down to the quay or up around the castle.

The food was faultless and the breakfast a highlight. A solid wine list…I can’t imagine anyone not enjoying this place to be honest. We will defiantly be visiting again and recommend to others, dog owners or otherwise.

Nice Touch: The restaurant had a young man learning his trade, waiting on tables. I thought it a nice touch that they noted this on his name tag. In short, nothing left to chance, all well executed in a very relaxed style. Well done Crown and Castle, see you again soon.

Room Tip: Take your dog along....
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
We are so pleased you – and Angus – enjoyed your stay. Thank you for pointing out so many features of the C&C, including the open log fire. We are also delighted that you found breakfast a highlight, as so many of our guests do. We hope to see you all again soon, and in the meantime we are grateful for your very positive review.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

service and room were excellent, few things could be improved but overall good. Evening meal was good although the distinct lack of anything green or any sauce with our main fish course surprised us. Breakfast seemed somewhat lacking in quantity although not in quality. Overall a great experience but just not quite top notch enough to warrant the bill.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your room (9) and service at the C&C. It's also good to hear you enjoyed dinner albeit with a caveat. Perhaps my menu writing was at fault. The Felixstowe-landed cod was described as being accompanied with cauliflower fritters, griddled octopus and a piquant dressing (which is simply red wine vinegar, capers & parsley). It is not intended to have a conventional sauce as it's a deliberately 'dry' Spanish-style dish. Nevertheless, I am sorry it did not meet your expectation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orford
The Brudenell Hotel
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Hintlesham Hall
Hintlesham Hall
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham

Been to The Crown & Castle? Share your experiences!