“fun place to stay with excellent food and views!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Las Salinas
Two Brothers Surf Resort
Reviewed 17 January 2013

just took a trip to Two Brothers surf resort, and had an excellent time. We did the all-inclusive package and really enjoyed the excellent food made by Henry the chef. Two of the nights, we ate the fish we had caught earlier in the day with Robert on his boat. During dinner, we enjoyed spending time with Robert Susan and their two sons. It was a great to talk about what we had done, and how the waves were, but we also spoke about what we would like to do the next day. The family did an excellent job getting us into the water when the waves were good, and still found time for us to enjoy the many other things to do in Nicaragua. We went on an amazing hike near their home, and saw howler monkeys! Our surf guide Enrique was a blast to be around, an outgoing person with a nice easygoing personality. I really think this is the best way to take a surf trip with your significant other. We got to surf consistent head high plus surf with nice barrels and still had plenty of time to enjoy the sights of Nicaragua.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 January 2013

My boyfriend and I had an amazing time at Two Brothers!

We stayed in the Villa Serena for 8 nights over Christmas 2012. We were blown away by the spectacular views and the amazing property. The villa was perfect, it was like having our own house: extremely comfortable, quiet, clean and safe. The pool was fantastic, and while my boyfriend drove to the surf in the mornings and afternoons, I spent numerous hours just sitting there and reading (occasionally joined by Ralph, the dog)!

While we didn't do the all inclusive package (we bought groceries in Rivas), Susan and Robert were amazing hosts. They were so attentive and regularly checked in to make sure that we had everything we need. It was really great to have the opportunity to meet Susan, Robert and their family. Both Susan and Robert took the time to get to know us and share some of their stories. They are both genuinely kind and great people!!

The property itself is located about a 5 minute drive away from the beach, however I spent most of my time at the pool because it was so beautiful. We hired a car - which is a necessity when staying at Two Brothers- but it was great because it gave us the flexibility to drive down the hill and go out for dinner at the few small beach restaurants. Plus, my boyfriend was able to come and go surfing as he pleased.

The beach was beautiful, and my boyfriend had great waves and enjoyed the many different surf breaks, all in close proximity to Two Brothers.

I would recommend Two Brothers to anyone wanting a relaxing holiday in a beautiful destination. I only hope that we have the opportunity to go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2012

My friend and i had a great time at two brothers. The accomidations and friendliness of the staff were second to none. Robert and Susan could not be there during our stay but the surf guide was a local resident with good knowledge of the local breaks and knew just about everyone locally. He and Henry the chef made sure we enjoyed every meal ( which were outsanding) and got a true sense of what Nicaragua was about. I look forward to returning during the peak wave monthes of may through august amd hope to surf with Robert and his family.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Leaving Two Brothers Surf Resort was very sad. Not because I felt a connection with the overpriced and uncultured feel of the "family" oriented resort, but because I couldn't help but think about the local employees who were constantly being disrespected by Robert, the owner. I have studied and traveled to many different places and have learned about many different cultures. I have always wondered about where the bad reputation that seems to follow Americans abroad comes from. Now, I feel as if I know. Robert has got to be the most arrogant and disrespectful person I have met. Every interaction between him and his employees made me uncomfortable and embarrassed. In front of his employees, some of whom speak English, he would make statements such as, "None of them can even sign their names. I have to do it for them." Unlike Robert, I speak Spanish and was able to speak with his employees who are all very ambitious. Some have attended university, yet Robert doesn't believe that they can sign their name. How demeaning? It was disgusting to hear all of this, to say the least. Financially speaking, you should be aware that you are responsible for paying his employees...I guess it is in the fine print somewhere, but it was a surprise to my family and the other couple staying at Two Brothers. His employees are very nice people who despise him. If you stay here, expect to surf and do nothing else. There are no other activities available and if there are no waves expect to feel like a prisoner. Schedule-wise, everything is very strict. If you are looking forward to exploring, remember that Robert will not let you forget the time you were two minutes late. Power outages are very common and it will get hot at night. Also, there are many bugs that swarm in the houses because they are able to crawl underneath the doors. Overall, this place was overpriced and unwelcoming.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank MStalb
TwoBrothers, Owner at Two Brothers Surf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

We would like to address some items in this review that are not accurate:

Education of our workers… Our entire staff is from the local surrounding villages. They have all attended local village schools and yes can read and write simply. While they are all very hard working, none have had the opportunity to go to university, but we are currently paying for the younger brother of our chef to attend university and we constantly bring Spanish language books, backpacks and school supplies to our workers and their children from the states. Nicaragua has been ravished by earthquakes and revolutions and there are entire generations of Nicaraguans that are illiterate.

Pay… Of course we pay our workers or they would not continue to work for us for the past 8 years. We also loan them money when needed, contribute to their children’s education, provide medical assistance, provide bicycles and gas for their motos when needed. They receive regular pay, double pay on holidays, vacation pay and security pay.

The only part of our staff that does not receive a regular salary are our surf guides – which is typical to all of the surf camps – they work on tips alone and it is outlined very clearly on our website.

Scheduling… We are a surf camp and yes if you stay with us all inclusive – do expect to do nothing other than surf (and fish) – that is the very reason why people book with a surf camp. There are no shops, cafes, or even real town to speak of – it is a very rural (and very poor) Nicaraguan village that just happens to be in the epicenter of some amazing and consistent surf. The schedule for surfing IS regimented (around the tides) and that allows everyone in the group to have access to the best waves of the day – certainly if the guest is surfed out or tired they can chose to sit out any session, but it is not fair to the other guests to not be on time. Being on time for an early morning surf session many times means that the captain is up at 4AM preparing the boat and the chef is in the kitchen soon after preparing the food – much sacrifice and preparation goes on in the early morning hours to ensure our guests get to the waves when the waves are the best.

Culture and price… culture comes in all forms and the particular brand of culture found in Nicaragua is a culture rich in Latin traditions and food and family life, a history of poverty and political battles and perseverance. Perhaps there are no museums to visit or shops to buys things, but my suggestion to this guest would have been to use her Spanish and get to know the chef as he cooked in the kitchen – ask him how to make the traditional Nicaraguan dishes, ask him about his life during the revolution, as him about the cockfighting ring in his back yard – All of this is the culture of Nicaragua and it was all standing three feet from her in the kitchen.

Price… we are the most affordable surf camp option of our level in Nicaragua. If price is ever an issue, we also offer the villas very affordably as self-catering. Many families take this route so that they can be on their own schedule.

Bugs… Yes there are bugs in the tropics, especially at the onset of the rainy season when all the bugs that have lain dormant in the dry season, hatch and migrate. The many, many caterpillars become clouds of butterflies. The ants become food for the geckos that inhabit the villas. The beetles grow to be the size of your hand. The bugs are cool and part of our everyday life in Nicaragua. We open wide the Indonesian temples doors that grace the entrance to each house and yes that lets life in, whether is be the occasional bat at night or horse during the day – but it also allows for an unfettered view of the entire pacific ocean and an unbelievable view of the stars reaching down to the horizon at night – a small (and interesting) price to pay for living life in Nicaragua.

Power outages… We have them. Everybody in Nicaragua has them. It is not an isolated event when that happens. What is the worst effect of a power outage? You eat dinner by candlelight and you open your windows to sleep… Luckily the villas are set on a hill that has an amazing wind blowing and the temperature drops to the 70’s in the evening. The stars, which are amazing at night anyway, become an amazing sight with zero light pollution. Sometimes I wish the power would go out more often.

The entire staff works very hard to ensure that each guest has a stay that is very comfortable and that they feel welcome in Nicaragua. We have a very loving and loyal staff that has been with us for 6 to 8 years, who are very proud of their jobs at Two Brothers. They are dependable, hardworking, and truly an extended part of our family in Nicaragua. Two Brothers would not function without them. Yes the owner is intense, but its that kind of intensity that keeps our guests safe when other camps are having problems, it’s that kind of intensity that has power and water restored when everyone else it out, it is that kind of intensity that carved roads into a mountain of rock, and that kind of intensity that surfs 30 foot waves and swims the boat to shore when the motor quits. Admire him or dislike him – but please do not discount that Two Brothers truly is a beautiful work of art and architecture, the staff at Two Brothers are wonderful, and the consistent surf in Nicaragua is unmatched. Most of our clients come from referrals and we have return guests year after year. We invite you to read the rest of the reviews and contact other guests to ask their candid opinions.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

My girlfriend and I took our first trip to Nicaragua and stayed here for a week. We were able to book the rooms on short notice of only two weeks. Susan, Robert and the family made it easy and enjoyable to stay here. The whole resort was beautiful and cottage we stayed in "El Rancho" on the hill was clean and well equipped with cooking supplies. Robert had plenty of surfboards to rent and was very motivated to get us out into the good waves on his boat. He also provided good advice on the different breaks, places to eat, and places to avoid. The entry road is steep and believe them when they tell you to get a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I'm looking forward to coming back and staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I'm a 52 yr. old from N.Y. who started surfing 8 years ago when my kid's began. I took two of my children, my daughter ,21,and son ,19, on a special trip this year to Nicaragua. We stayed in Popoyo at Two Brothers Surf Resort for six days with owner , Robert Gregory, and we did the all inclusive option.
We were there to surf and the first 4 of the 6 days were off shore and 4 ft , 17 second period, so it was a good swell. Robert took us to different spots ,some by boat and some by 4 wheels. He wanted to show us the local breaks and it was a great introduction. Some spots were a bit too heavy for me but good to experience however it did mean not catching waves at times which was frustrating. That was only a couple of times. Most of the time we found fun waves that we could play with. My son loved Santana for its fast beach break and my daughter and I loved Playgrounds for the long lefts that were great to practice carving turns. My regular footed son also had a blast there with a quick empty right, off the peak. Our guide was Andres, who was most helpful and knew the kind of waves we each preferred and he didn't take our waves.
The accomodations were spatious. The rooms clean, beds comfortable, and there was A.C. and hot water showers aside from a couple of blackouts which made it interesting and it reminded you that It is a 3rd world country. Ofcourse if the power goes, a cold shower is needed to cool off so it all works out.
The views from the top of the hill were breathtaking in every direction day or night. The grounds were well manicured and the pool was delightful .
The food prepared each day by the chef and his helper was so delicious that we really looked forward to the next meals. They even found food for my extremely picky son.
Great food, surf, accommodations, spectacular views, but to me , the best part of our trip was getting to know the owner ,Robert Gregory, his staff, and the two wonderful couples that were also doing the all inclusive option. We really got to know everyone because we spent each of three meals together as well as surfed side by side. The conversations over the meals on the hill (location of dining area inside Roberts house) became intense at times. The owner ,Robert is an interesting character to say the least. Honestly he is a bit rough around the edges but by the end of the trip I learned to appreciate his knowledge, and value his opinion,. He definitely grew on me (though ,not my daughter) because I had a different view of him the first couple of days .He has surfed and lived all over and the experiences have shaped him. I believe he found his little slice of heaven so even though running the resort looks like a challenge it does allow him to keep his dream going.
Unfortunately , we never got to meet his wife and children, but the staff spoke so highly of them.
Downside to trip is there isn't much to do at night in Popoyo as my 21 yr old daughter was hoping for some culture and excitement but we were completely beat by 9 pm and had to be up early for surf .The all inclusive is quite regimented so you have to be of that mindset.
I know I want to return to Popoyo to surf as Robert at Two Brothers gave us a great introduction. I'm not sure we would do the all inclusive at Two Brothers because it was expensive having to pay for three. I would absolutely recommend it though as a first time family introduction to nic surfing for sure. We ate well, were comfortable, and got to know all the spots thanks to Robert and the knowledgeable and most helpful guides.
If i were to go solo with friends, or my kids had jobs, I would go back to Two Brothers all inclusive in a heartbeat.
Enjoy, Jeff

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank eileen1015
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This place has it all. My wife and I took our 2 year old along for his first adventure outside the U.S. and thanks to the accomodations at 2 Brothers, we all had an amazing experience. It seemed a bit risky taking along a child so young, but the resort was perfect for all of us. After having a look around the Popoyo area, it was obvious that we had made the right choice by staying at 2 Brothers. My wife and I agreed that even if we didn't have a child with us, 2 Brothers is the only way to go. American qualitly and standard all the way! Everything that is posted on their website is accurate, and Robert and Susan are more than helpful in sharing their local know-how with their guests. The only true resort in the area. Everything else is either a hotel or hostel type of accommodation. The surf was amazing, the weather was perfect, and all 3 of us will return to 2 Brothers again! If you want to surf in Nica, 2 Brothers will deliver everytime!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1 mi away
Nica Vida Surf Lodge
Nica Vida Surf Lodge
#2 of 6 in Las Salinas

Been to Two Brothers Surf Resort? Share your experiences!