““Great place to stay””
Review of Na-Thai Resort

Na-Thai Resort
Ranked #62 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Ao Nang
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Really warm and friendly welcome, the owner Frank and Si were really helpful.
The bungalow was pretty nice, very clean and the bedroom have good mattresses.
The garden is well maintained and has a nice pool. Best of all is the restaurant, because Si is a fantastic cook.
We can totally recommend this place! Keep it up Frank and Si. We come back 2015 Kiki and Toy

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Booked this after seeing the great reviews on trip advisor, looking at the website and lovely emails from Gerhard telling us all these wonderful things about the resort, excursions & babysitting service they offered. He also said he offered a transfer service from the airport. All was good until just before our departure I learned through a trip advisor review that he'd sold it.
On arrival by taxi we were so disappointed the resort looked nothing like the website the welcome we received was not very welcoming and we'd booked for 5 people and the garden house was made up for 4 when we explained we'd need another bed we felt like we 'd inconvenienced them somewhat! However they did rectify this but charged us even though the price we'd been given initially did include the extra bed! Anyway the garden house was very basic but what got me was there was someone else's washing hung up right outside our front door, didn't really travel all that way to look at someone else's pants!! We had a quick dip in the pool which was nice but a lot smaller than it looked on the website, got a couple of beers from the fridge which were out of date. Hired a car went to Ao Nang beach and saw that there were a lot of lovely hotels on the beach front which suited us a lot better and met our needs. We stayed at Na Thai for one night and after travelling for 24 hours we all had the worst nights sleep ever. There was a very loud noise for ages that I can only describe as a lawn mower or machinery!! We checked out the next morning and booked somewhere along the beach front. I don't like writing bad reviews but I think you need to think very carefully about what you want from a hotel etc. the price here is reasonable but the quality just isn't there yet. Luckily it wasn't a costly mistake but it wasn't the best start to our holiday :(

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Flipflopfun555
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed with our 4 children in a spacious cottage with outside area in this small complex. Swimming pool was greatly enyoyed by the kids and the owner was very helpful and relaxed even through the tsunami warning! Food was good though wide menu was not always available; a tuk-tuk ride from the beach.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I don't usually go to the trouble of writing reviews on hotels but I felt on this occasion the negatives of my stay were too great to keep to myself and I am therefore taking the opportunity to share some of them before anybody makes the mistake of booking a room at the Na-Thai.

CHECK IN
When we arrived we were greeted by a lady talking on her mobile phone whilst pointing us into a room which we later found was our lodgings. We were not given a run down of the resort or a tour, the check in procedure if you can call it that was very unprofessional and amateurish and a sign of things to come in hindsight.

LODGES
The lodges are basic-not even a kettle which in my experience of Thailand is a rarity so you have to buy tea or coffee from the resort if you want it- and given that we had a family lodge the one small and uncomfortable sofa was a struggle for two of us to squeeze onto.

TV
The Tv had about 5 channels all of which were grainy and after four days of the Biography Channel (one of only two English speaking channels) I am well versed in Airline USA, Billy the Exterminator and Gene Simmons family jewels.

SHOWER
The shower is modestly warm and by no means hot so be warned. What annoyed me the most was the door frames to the bathroom and toilet were about half a foot lower than the bedroom door frames. On the first day I banged my head on every visit to the toilet, once on going into the toilet and again on washing my hands in the bathroom. I have been back for four days and I am still finding myself ducking just before going through doors!

NOISE
I think the biggest dissapointment was that the resort was not all that secluded as it appears in the pics. It is spitting distance (no exaggeration) from a road that seems to be busy with the sounds of motors pushed to their limits well into the evening. Once the motor sounds fades away you have the frogs and other wildlife to contest with which was a welcomed relief in a funny sort of way from the engine noise pollution. I would seriously recommend ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

HOSPITALITY
The male owner who I think is German did not acknowledge either of us with hello or smile once in the four days. He was not alone as the hospitality from his partner was also the bare minimum and by far the worst of any hotel I recall staying in. A great deal lacking in the hospitality department. Given they have recently purchased a holiday resort I would have thought that good hospitality would be a given that would fade over time but in this case it was never there in the first place. A crash course would not go a miss.

ENTERTAINMENT
This was the first time my girlfriend and I tried out a lodge and truth be told I would take a great deal of convincing to stay in one again after this experience. Apart from being basic lodgings there was no life or soul to the resort. In the evenings the restaurant is open, no music, no entertainment just family members of the owners laughing and joking among themselves.

DISTANCE FROM TOWN
The resort is a fifteen minute moped ride from Ao-Nang which was buzzing in the evenings. If I returned to Krabi again I would seek a hotel in Ao-Nang for the convenience of walking/stumbling to bed and because it is where all the action is.

VALUE FOR MONEY
At around £40.00 a night this is not value for money once you include in the cost of renting a moped every day and breakfast. The resort is a 2/3 star at best and by the sounds of other blogs these new owners need to take a leaf or two out of Gerhards book .

GOOD POINTS
The food at the Na-Thai is good and the pool is well maintained.

We had a cat that kept coming to our door every night and every morning. The ironic thing is the cat showed us more hospitality than the owners did.

In summary the negatives easily outweighed the few positives and therefore my advice is that if the hotel was a food type it would not be fit for consumption.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lodge nearest to the entrance and they seemed to be doing the one up, on the other...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin H
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Not into destroying people's businesses and I'm sure when gerhard was running this his service out weighed all else but he's sold it and it's needing some tlc . The rooms are basic but I didn't find them the cleanest . .. And above all things it has to be clean. We stayed about 2 hours and found somewhere else .

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank kateed
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We booked for four days and stayed one. That say it all!-
The new management is not at all friendly.
We slept in a room above the bar-restaurant and people downstairs were making noise and drinking when we tried to fall asleep. The new owner didnt bother to quiet them down as he was part of the party. Surprisingly!
The pictures of the resort look like is in a secluted area but it is right on a busy road and far from everything.
And on top, it is very expensive. I don't recommend it at all!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Fabulous hospitality, friendly service. Breakfast choice excellent and available all day. Couldnt ask for more. Room comfortable and spacious, could do with a little updating.
No hidden costs, everything very upfront and honest.
Thank you Gerhard, good luck for the future.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Be prepared for the array of wildlife sounds when the dawn breaks
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family