Convenient location right on top of a 711 and a MacDonalds and on the main drag a short walk from the beach and lots of good restaurants right in the street outside.
The dreaded climb up the "hill" in other reviews was just a short easy slope that was well lighted. I can understand that it would be next to impossible in a wheelchair but easy enough if your luggage is on wheels. They are in the process of building an elevator at their pedestrian staircase entrance next to the MacDonalds while we were there so the stairs were closed off.
We got a very cheap rate at a 65% discount (US $57) on HotelClub for a superior room with an extra bed and breakfast for 3. They upgraded us at no charge to a Deluxe room which was facing away from the road as we requested. The room was a nice size with a huge U-shape balcony. We did not use the balcony as there was only a view of the car park but it came with a drying rack which was very useful for our wet swimsuits and shoes. I did not care much for the decor - concrete floor and plain white walls. The ocean view rooms looked nicer with wooden floors but are smaller and since we needed the extra bed we opted for these rooms instead. Their airconditioning struggled a bit with the hot weather but when turned on full was able to maintain something that felt like 26 C.
The layout of the bathroom area was rather inconvenient as the toilet and the shower were in separate cubicles separated by the entrance foyer. The shower door was all glass so there was no privacy and it was visible from the bedroom area at certain angles. As we were travelling with our teenage son, we had to hang 3 towels over the shower door strategically.
Nice touches were the beach mat in a basket, 2 golf umbrellas and and 2 sets of slippers provided for our use during the stay.
The bed was on the hard side and the pillows rather soft and unsubstantial and linen rather rough but at the rate I paid, I'm not complaining but I would not want to pay the full price for this quality in Thailand.
It was quiet for the first 3 nights but this morning we were woken up by children persistently shouting and running up and down at 6am, so it isn't soundproof and it all depends on who else is staying in the rooms near you.
Breakfast was a good buffet, with Western, Thai and vegetarian sections. The vegetarian section had cooked on the spot items like grilled rice cakes or vegetable tempura. There was also an egg station. The Thai selections were very good and authentic and changed daily. I especially liked the chicken rice soup.
The pool was on the small side but had a nice view of the cliff and there were always plenty of loungers available. They served a complimentary Coffee Klatsch ( coffee/ tea and leftover breakfast pastries) at 4pm.
We also enjoyed the Muay Thai sessions at the poolside gym for 500 baht per person.
The Hotel staff were very smiley and polite and spoke good English. The porters were very alert and ready to help. They would even come running when they heard the sound of luggage being pulled along the walk to the lobby ( out of their sight). The receptionists were also polite and helpful.
The tour desk was run by an independent tour company and their rep at the hotel gave excellent service. Their prices were a little higher than what was available on the street but they were still negotiable due the low season and because we booked 3 tours. The advantage was that they could warn us ahead as we came and went from the lobby if the activity was going to be cancelled because of impending storms and were able to change our booked activities around when the weather was wrong and even refund us when a tour was cancelled due to weather. However the operators they worked with were rather lackadaisical in their approach and we did not get much / any "guiding" from the tour guides. The "guides" that they sent us with on our Hong Island snorkelling and the Ao Thalane kayak and elephant ride were more of a transport service, bringing us to the place and then pretty much leaving us to our own devices. Please read my other reviews for the details.
The spa was expensive and we did not try it. The gym looked dark and small and we did not have time to try it too. There was the well reviewed Ata-rak massage/spa just across the road which was quite nice and we also tried Aonang Haven Massage just a 5 minute walk further up the road which was also good. On the street just outside the hotel were the ubiquitous 200baht for 60 minutes massage shops, touting as you walked past but we did not try these.
All In we would recommend this hotel if you were there as a couple on a budget in the low season, and perhaps spend a little more for the oceanview rooms. For ourselves, when we come back again in high season, with our sons, we may try a villa or stay on a different beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aonang Cliff Beach Resort is Krabi's 4 star boutique resort with spectacular views of the cliff and Andaman Sea. Located in the center of Aonang, with easy access to the beach, shopping, Dining and night life. 97 Newly refurbished, spacious guest rooms offer comfortable accommodation in Superior , Deluxe and Ocean View categories. The Ocean wing features sunset balcony for romantics and honeymooners. The resort offers a unique Thai restaurant and a boulevard cafe in Aonang's most versatile and lively shopping plaza. Around the resort pool you will find a Bar & Bistro, wellness center complete with Thai Spa, Gym, Muay Thai, Yoga and Tai Chi classes. Social and business events are celebrated in style for up to 180 guests in the new event center and on the Cliff Panorama Terrace. Coupled with grace of our Thai service memories are made of this. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aonang Cliff Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aonang Cliff Beach Hotel Ao Nang
- Aonang Cliff Beach Resort Krabi/Ao Nang