“Stunning View from our room”

Aonang Orchid Resort
Ranked #59 of 107 Hotels in Ao Nang
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Stunning View from our room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

After reading all the bad reviews we were very nervous to stay in this resort but we were pleasantly surprised. This is not a large resort so you do not find a lot of staff on the floor. We decided to upgrade to a sea facing room and our view was gorgeous. The room is nice and the bathroom so so( Need a bit of an upgrade comparing to the room.) The swimming area is very relaxing and this hotel is center and one can walk everywhere. If you are thinking of booking this hotel do not take the breakfast option unless it is at a special rate because there is no variety and there is a 7 eleven next door if you would like to buy something. Overall we didn't think this hotel was so bad.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SonelvdB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Walked in and got a room in the main tower that faced the street for $50 a night. If I had read tripadvisor I would have given it a wride berth but my experience was fine. The bed was comfortable, the water hot and the wifi consistent. The breakfast was nothing special. If you expect 3 star, you'll be happy. If you crave something more go elsewhere or be disappointed. The staff were surly but this is Thailand's muslim south, so it shouldn't compared with other parts. Folk seem much more conservative here. Location and a great pool keeps this place in business. There is a low-level humming sound that I heard all night coming from the main road which may disturb some. Exhaust yourself site seeing like I did and you'll be too tired to even notice. All up this place is mid range for Aonang. There are better places but there are also a lot worse.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Ao Nang hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

The good:
1. The swimming pool is lovely and fun
2. Location: the hotel is in the center of everything happening in Aonang (30 seconds walk from beach / very close to clubs / bars / restaurants)
The bad:
1. This hotel is quite old. You could see that the facilities have been designed in a lovely way yet in reality almost everything looks old and worn.
2. Watch out for your payments with credit card!!!!!!! I initially paid for my room with credit card and when i signed the bill i noticed that the rate is much higher than when i booked it. What really happened is that the bank which provided the P.O.S. machine (credit card machine) used a extremely low exchange rate and charged USD directly from my credit card. If i don't remember it wrong - they charged based on 1 USD : 25 THB when the exchange rate really was 1:32 ( that's equivalent of charging 20% bank fee!!!) so eventually i requested them to cancel the credit card payment and paid later with cash which i withdrew from ATM.
3. The level of service by hotel staff is really average. Not good at all - yet not the worst.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicklovesdiving
Stockport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed here for one night during our two week stay in Thailand as we missed the last ferry to Phi Phi island. Thank god it was only one night!
The hotel from the outside is very dated and dirty, as we checked in and were taken to our room above a restaurant a massive cockroach fell on my friend!!
Once in the rooms which are very stylish and spacious (the only bonus) we found that our air con was blowing out hot air and so asked if we can move, the staff were very rude about this but moved us anyway. The bathroom in our new room stank of dirty sewers and the wifi did not reach to the room. Even though the rooms are nice do not be fooled, there was black hairs all over the floor and in the bed and after one nights sleep I couldn't wait to leave!

Room Tip: Have a room close to reception else to wifi will not work
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 674Rachel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Bad experience while staying at this hotel. The service staff needs to attend good customer service courses. Firstly they never greet & never even bother to offer the welcome drink. No cable at the hotel which was a total ripped off. We wanted extra pillows and towels for my two boys and was told over the phone that it was full house. That was totally crap. The person who attended my call was so rude. Eventually my hubby called him back and told him off that if he doesnt like what he was doing then it is the wrong job for him and demanded him to send the pillow to our pool villa access room within ten minutes. Surprisingly the pillows & towels came. So much for a full house.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Ernie H
Jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

So grateful that we only chose to spend one night in Ao Nang. Unfortunately, I chose this place out of all others. Let me start with the good - they allowed us to check in early at 10:30 am which was very helpful & I truly appreciate that (the only reason why I am giving this hotel an Average rating), and the pool area is quite nice. Now onto reality...I very much doubt this is a 4 star hotel. The rooms are old, smells damp and moldy, the decor and interior a drab and the lighting purely disturbing. Upon check-in, the lady at the reception did not smile & was not hospitable at all. I am guessing because we only chose the Superior Room? We were initially given room # 214, where the view was the roof & AC duct of their restaurant building! It was like I was staying in a slum! Not only that, there were cats in the balcony too! So I asked for another room & was responded by that same unpleasant lady with a "you want good view, pay 500 baht more!". So much for hospitality...eventually after some talking and pleading, we were given room #217 which was at least, much breathable with a slightly better view.
Another incident was at the breakfast area in the morning. Upon opening a ketchup bottle, the contents were so expired that it was bubbling up and had gas coming out of it. It smelled AWFUL! Asked the waitress there to get a new one & the one she brought too was equally bad! Seriously gross!
The location of the hotel itself is okay as it is only about 200 m from the Ao Nang beach shore & the boat rentals. But seriously, for this amount of money, there were much better options, which I regretfully did not choose. Unless this hotel (no resort, trust me) has done MASSIVE room refurbishments & serious employee training, choose another place!

Room Tip: Forget it. Move on and find another place! There are so many other & cheaper options nearby!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FaridaW
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

The staff here do not make you feel welcome (they must hate their jobs or tourists). Firstly we asked to changed rooms due to a leaking toilet which took at least 20 minutes to get an answer, I asked three times to pay extra for a pool room view and she completely ignored me....didn't even acknowledge my question in any way. We had only been there one night and having to change rooms was very frustrating after only just unpacking! Never got the pool room view (and would have paid extra) and the place was nowhere near full due to low season.
When they say "room service" it really only means making your bed and getting fresh towels (if your lucky), we never got toiletries replenished and I drank out of the same glass and tea cup for 12 days because they never gave us fresh ones. When I had to go to reception and ask for shampoo, toilet paper etc it was very much a hassle for them to get off their chair walk 3 steps to a cupboard and give me what I asked for. The nicest person in the whole place was the guard at the end of the driveway......always made us smile.
The chlorine in the pool is so strong that it not only burnt my sons "private parts" but I also had a white top that I spilt some food on and it stained so I put it in the pool and it bleached it clean!!
Breakfast was average, eggs and omelettes were great but the salads would only be good if you like them covered in bugs.
Slightly mouldy type bath, tiles in the falling off everywhere and it really is an amazing pool but needs maintenance.....the whole place feels a but worn. Terrible tv channels especially if you have kids.
There was a bar and towel hut next to the pool and it was never open the whole time we where there, we had to chase down fresh pool towels and the one time we ordered some drinks buy the pool it took at least 35minutes for them to arrive.....obviously yet another hassle for the staff.
Our safe broke half way through our stay and I asked for it to be seen to and they came that day but didn't fix it and asked for the next 5 days in a row and no one ever came....so annoying when you 40,000BHT in cash, passports and jewelry to worry about.
We asked for an airport transfer and they said it would be 800BHT but we walked done the road to Tons Company and got it for 500BHT.
The beds where good, rooms nice and dark for a good nights sleep and the location was central and perfect....great food everywhere and right next to a 7/11
Would never stay there again!!!!

Room Tip: Get a room with pool view if possible otherwise your looking at roof tiles.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family