“It was passable”

Ranked #26 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Singapore, Singapore
“It was passable”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Came on a tour with my parents and kids and had 2 rooms - a suite and a double room. The suite room was nice but my parents' room was just average. The rooms are big though. However the bathrooms are not well-designed - For the suite, when one showers, the water leaked out to the bathroom floor because the glass pane is not positioned correctly. In the double room, there is no shower door at all! Naturally the whole bathroom can become wet and the hotel only provides one tiny floor mat that is woefully inadequate. Strange design.

The housekeeping is not very on-the-ball either. I have small kids and they like to lie on the floor. When I peeped under my bed, and under the extra bed, I realised with horror that the chambermaids did not sweep under the furniture! So disgusting! I guessed I should have expected such sub-standard service because for the 4 days I was staying at the hotel, when I greeted the chambermaids on their rounds in the mornings, they just returned a surly, super-back-face look. On my last day, I didn't bother to greet them at all.

As I have read the previous reviews, I was mentally prepared for the breakfast choices. It was just the same items every day but the food was hygenic - no ants. Tthe wait staff were quick to clear tables and were generally good. So my breakfast experience was ok. I liked the open-air breakfast room, we can hear the birds chirping and the sun streams in, which was wonderful.

The location was good, and we could easily walk down Ao Nang beach to catch a boat to the other islands. The shopping is not very interesting though, it tries to imitate Bangkok but you would realise that the shops are generally the same - they all sell bikinis, beach mats, or same souvenirs. There are many tattoo parlours. If you are in Krabi and fancy a good pizza, you can get it at the many western restaurants on this stretch. If you fancy good Thai fare, well you can get Thai fare, but it's only average.

All in all, the beaches on the offshore islands are exquisite and my family had a good time. The Small hotel is passable. The service is not bad, just unmemorable. The rooms are ok, and can be cleaner if you are lucky to get a conscientious chambermaid :). Just nip an extra floor mat from the housekeeping trolley for the inevitable bathroom "floods" and you will be fine :))

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Fattyfettucine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth
Reviewed 1 April 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Small hotel for 5 nights in Nov 2010 as a discount rate, and we were lucky to be upgraded to a Moon deck room as well, which was just wonderful!! It is one of the best rooms we have ever stayed in. The room and bathroom are big, very clean and light with big windows and thick curtains to block the light in early mornings. We had a balcony and also a spiral staircase leading to a large 'moon deck' where we could see a litte part of the beach and mountains - so beautiful to sit up there in the evenings!
The hotel has a modern but muslim style architecture. The staff were friendly and helpful. A fuse went out in our room, I phoned reception and a person came to fix it straight away.
The breakfast room is a bit small for the number of rooms, but if you had breakfast not at peak times it is fine. There is cereals, pastries, fruit, hot food. The quality was not the best but it was OK.
The roof top pool has nice views, has a nice open feel and wasn't crowded the times i was there which was great. There just isn't much shade there.
For location: it is 10 min walk to the middle of Ao Nang shops and restaurants and a few minutes walk to Nopparat Thara Beach and a few restaurants. We found the location good. It is quieter than in the middle of Ao Nang but not too far from things. There are a few Roti food carts close to the hotel - yum!
It is a really nice hotel and great value for us. I would have liked to have stayed longer. LOVED the Moon deck room!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank georgiebenPerth
Singapore
Reviewed 4 March 2011

For the benefit of other TripAdvisor members, I will give a very fair judgment of this particular Hotel and I hope everyone finds my review useful.

I arrived in Krabi together with my partner and at the airport, I was greeted by a driver from the Hotel. I made some small talk with the driver and he appeared to be really friendly. Though he speaks limited English, we somehow managed to converse.

The driver brought us to the Hotel safely and checking in was hassle free. The lady at the reception brought me to our room and showed me around. My room was the Pool Access room. From inside my room, all I need to do is to slide the doors and I am ready to swim. For those who prefer privacy, you can draw your curtains and lock the sliding doors. And for those who are concerned about security, you need not worry. Other people cannot access into your room because the lock is only from inside your room.

As usual, my partner and I took a look around our room. The room is fairly big. What comes next was really a surprise to me. The toilet is huge and very very clean. For my hotel room, I only have one small "complain" to make. I noticed that they have placed an ipod dock in my room and since I am using the iphone, its great for me because I had forgotten to bring my charger. I can charge my iphone using the ipod dock. However, the ipod was faulty. I called up Reception and they had it fixed within an hour. So yeah like I said, its really a small complaint. They had it fixed anyway. :)

Enough about the room, we went out to take a look at what Krabi has to offer. I asked the reception about the shopping area and the girl at the reception gave me precise directions. You can never get lost in Krabi. Take note, this hotel is near the Ao Nang area where its a shopping haven.

The next day, we went for breakfast. Basically, its a western-styled buffet breakfast. Now, you guys got to pay attention to this. After going into the cafe, I was surprised at the choices of food. It is too little! They have pastries, corn flakes, eggs, bread. You know...the usual stuff. I did not like their breakfast. The coffee is somewhat different. Not nice. I had to put lots of sugar. Be careful, their pastries section is placed near the wall and there is a trail of ants. Lots of ants! I looked around and noticed that none of the guests had taken any pastries because of obvious reasons. In general, breakfast at this hotel is a 2 thumbs down.

Swimming Pool - There are 2 swimming pools. One is on the first floor and the other is on the roof top. Guests can swim at both these pools. The one on the first floor is a long stretch of pool and the one on roof top is somewhat smaller. If you prefer privacy, you can go to the pool at the roof top. No one goes there. I presume its 4 floors up and may be a little be inconvenient. Take note though, there are no lifeguards on duty. If you bring along your children, do keep a lookout for them and do not leave your kids unattended.

Massage/Spa - This hotel has a massage, spa services. My partner did her manicure and pedicure while I went for the massage. Massage was so-so. I was told by my partner's manicurist that should I come to Krabi again, she advised me against taking the hotel's services because it is expensive. Should I need a massage, I can get it elsewhere. Take a walk towards Ao Nang beach. There are throngs of massage services there.

In a nutshell, this Hotel serves my needs. It has great rooms, great pool, great reception staff. But massage and breakfast was a total disappointment. Will I visit this Hotel again? Yes.....but not a definite yes because of bad breakfast. If you don't mind having bad breakfast, this Hotel is worth considering.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yunikgunners
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We were upgraded to Pool Access room for 2 nights. The room was beautiful and clean. The most incredible thing is the room comes with direct pool access where we could jump to the pool from our room! There's jacuzzi facilitated at each room. The rooms can be joint with another room with a door separating it, which is quite convenient for me & my traveling mates to walk over. It came with safety box and 2 umbrellas when we visited Krabi during rainny season. It has the ipod docking system where I could charge my iphone too. The only thing which it's not perfect, is the bathroom shower hot water is not functioning properly.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 February 2011

The rooms turned out to be exactly how it looked on the photos, I was very impressed at first, but it turned out to be a nightmare. The bathroom was like a dream with huge bathtub and separate rainforest shower. However, the shower room door could not be closed properly, so the whole bathroom floor was flooded after shower because there was no drainage hole on the floor. The shower knobs were broken, they literally came off while we were showering.

The swimming pool on the rooftop was definitely not salt water, it had a strong chlorine smell. The nightshift staffs at the servicedesk could not speak English, everytime I called, they would just answer "yes, yes, yes" without any results. Once, I was asked to wait and the person in charge walked to my room so that we could communicate using body language. Kudos to the hard working staff, but it would be better if the hotel could just train their staff in simple conversational english.

There were plenty of mosquitos everywhere in the hotel. When I complained to the staffs, they told me it was rainy season and they could not do anything. There was only a small dining area in the hotel, since there was a big group of us travelling, we were asked to have breakfast at the sister hotel - Krabi La Playa Resort which was just 2 minutes away. Breakfast at Krabi La Playa was a disaster, I never thought I would be so happy to have burned sunny side ups for breakfast. Krabi La Playa consistently served burned eggs for three days but it was still the best thing to have.

Even though the staffs were eager to please, they did not have the proper skill and language to serve the guests.

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank Andorm
Singapore
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Was giving 3 rooms on the first floor for my family of 7 people. When we enter the rooms, there are 2 nice surprises waiting for us.
1) I can just jump into the pool from my room which my children love it.
2) The bathroom is one of the biggest I have encountered.

As there is no prefect hotel, the following are some of the negatives aspect of the hotel:
1) Still have 2-3 moszi in the 3 rooms during the first night which were killed by us.:)
2) After housekeeping, they don't lock the back door linking the room to the pool which I felt the security should be improved.
3) Hot bathing water may not be always available.

Overall, this is one of the best hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank twengche
LTU
Reviewed 28 November 2010

The Small Resort is located a bit further up the street in Ao Nang, meaning that it takes a 5-10 minutes walk to reach all the action for shoppers and restaurant lovers. The beach is also a short walk away, but as the best beaches in the area are reachable only by boat anyway, it is not hardly a drawback. Besides, the hotel has two swimming pools, a rooftop and a ground-floor one. We liked both, although the rooftop one does get a bit warm during the day. The lower swimming pool is quite big and, contrary to other reviewers' comment on it being coldish, provides a welcome refreshment from the heat outside.

Most rooms have a balcony (nice). There is a modern LCD TV and DVD player in the room, and since the connections are not protected in any way, you can use them to connect your own equipment.

Bathroom/shower is simple but adequate.

Breakfast consisted of some warm and cold meals and was good enough too.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends