“Comfortable and convenient”
Review of The Small, Krabi

The Small, Krabi
Ranked #32 of 111 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stayed in the pool access room which was very spacious and clean. The pool just sits right outside the room and there is a mini jacuzzi for 2 which can only be switched on from your room. Bed felt hard on the first touch, was a little worried being someone who cannot sleep on hard beds. Surprisingly, I slept well for all 3 nights.

Hotel provides basic hotel amenities, however, they didn't provide razors. There is also a beach bag with 2 beach towels and a beach mat which is very useful if you are going out on island trips. Beach towels can be replaced, just inform housekeeping. Slippers and umbrellas are also provided.

Breakfast is normal, not fantastic I would say. Did not like the pastries and bread but everything else was fine. Omelette/fried eggs can be found at the back which are cooked and served on request.

Location of the hotel is great. Turning out from the hotel on the right, it takes about 5 mins to walk to Nopparat Thara beach. Around the area, you can find restaurants and also street food. Turn left from the hotel, you'll head towards Ao Nang beach. There are many restaurants and shops along the way where you can buy clothes, bags, etc. Tuk-tuks can be conveniently found parked just outside the hotel. Down the alley behind the hotel, you will also find some convenient stores if you need to grab some food.

Staff do not speak much English but they will still try to help and always have a smile on their faces. I would recommend to download a thai speaking app if you're gonna ask alot of questions. Wi-fi worked well, probably because we were on the first floor.

Downsides: The mosquito netted screen door was closed but the balcony door was left opened when we first entered the room. Found some mosquitoes buzzing around. Do remember to always close the balcony door and to be on the safe side, bring mosquito coils like us. Did not get bitten at all in the room.

Drainage of water in shower is slow. Had a minor flood in the bathroom on a day when I showered for too long. The water in the swimming pool outside the room is quite cold. We also couldn't figure out how to lock our balcony door from the outside.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel as the downsides are quite minor. Would stay again if given a chance!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nickneme

Reviewed 19 April 2013

If you are looking for a beach hotel this is not it, in fact it is on the side of the main road from Krabi to Ao Nang and only 10 mins walking to Ao Nang centre/beach.
Rooms are well equipped, mini bar and also big bottles of good quality shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, no need to buy them which is handy, flat tv with HBO and other main EU channels. Beds are rock hard, takes some getting used to but once you do very comfy.
Room we had was ground floor facing downstairs pool, while pleasant, there is never much sun and people walking to get to pool can see directly inside your room, water is quite cold.Air con works well although a little noisy and free wifi is on-off.
Pool on 3rd floor is much nicer although there are few lounge chairs and you can order drinks by calling reception. Breakfast is ok, nothing to be too excited about, lacks variety, omelettes are good tho; it would be nicer to have breakfast in a quieter room, not facing the main road with traffic noise and fumes.
Staff speaks little English but they are kind and make up for this if you are patient.
This hotel is good to spend a few days but lacks a bit charm. Spa was closed when we were there, you can book tours and transfers too but shopping around gets you better value.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank ieily
Reviewed 7 March 2013

booked a wotif mystery deal. not a bad location .. room was quite big with a nice bathroom.. the bed was a little hard but ok... the room was clean and mini bar prices reasonable compared to most hotels. we went swimming on the rooftop pool. Very clean and relaxing. the ground floor pool looked very nice too. Breakfast was ok. salads, cereal, toast omlete, bacon (wich my girlfriend had to cook :( ). i would stay here again at the wotif price $50 oz... but not at the full rate, would expect a lot more for the full rate.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Conor B
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I booked this hotel as a deal from Wotif ... had read the reviews which were mixed but went with the positives in mind. The only plus here was the room was nice and big .. We found the pillows a bit uncomfortable ..
We have been to almost all the cities in Thailand and stayed in all kinds of hotels and resorts but it was a first for us that the staff here could not understand English well..
The breakfast is avoidable and I would strongly recommend not to opt for breakfast or rather pay for it .. plenty of options in and around the hotel..
I would give this hotel a miss in favour of other choices

Room Tip: Choose a room which doesnt have a connecting door to the next one ... I could hear coughing all nigh...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We spent four nights here in February. The hotel is away from the main "strip" at Ao Nang and between the two main beaches. The room was comfortable despite a very hard bed. Breakfast was provided on the ground floor open to the street. Not a huge eating area but a reasonable choice of food. The roof pool had lovely views to the sea and was not crowded when we used it in the evening. The hotel does not provide evening food but there are plenty of eateries in the immediate area. Treat yourself to a banana pancake from the lady cooking them outside the hotel: they are great! Turning left from the hotel you get to the main town where there are bars, restaurants etc. It is less busy if you turn right and the beach there is also less crowded. Plenty of places to book tours. We went to James Bond Island and did a local 4 Island tour.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Do not come to this hotel. It is simply not worth the price. While it is not a roach motel, it is horribly run. I would not recommend it and unless it’s a complete last resort, would never book it. My reasons:

-The wi-fi internet in the room works about 10% of the time. Management does nothing about this, despite repeated calls to the front desk and complaints. Not the kind of service I’m used to paying 100 dollars a night for. For this alone, I would not recommend. Simply terrible. While I’m out most of the day, the least they should be able to do is provide reliable service. I talked to the manager about it 3 times, and basically just got lame excuses.

-Housekeeping skipped the room for 2 days straight, despite my call to the front desk on the 2nd day to confirm that they would clean the room. When I came back that night, I found my room untouched. Totally unacceptable. The night shift people, to their credit, did swing into action and get the stuff I needed (TP, towels and trash removal) once I brought it to their attention.

-The facilities are somewhat clean, but they miss the details; i.e. shower curtain has mildew, as does parts of the shower tiles, toilet seat had what seem to be a cigarette burn and a couple of large stains. The throw pillows had someone else’s hair on them.

-As previous reviews verify; the mattresses are rock hard. This is coming from a girl used to sleeping on cots. Also heard another guest complaining about the same thing. Not what I’d expect at a “resort.” Navigated easy enough by throwing down an extra duvet or two.

-There is only one reading lamp for a room with two beds.
-There are no dressers or shelves in the room. This makes it a pain to organize clothes and such.
-The staff speaks very little English. While I realize that we are in their country, they cater very specifically to an English speaking crowd. I find it hard to believe that they can’t find anybody more qualified than what they have. Also, the staff kind of act put off when they are at fault (ex: their internet not working). I even got hung up on!

-The breakfast is decent enough. The food is not bad, standard fare of fruit (delicious), cereal, toast, pastries, potatoes and eggs. You can get eggs to order if you can get the girls cooking the eggs to understand what you want; no small feat. They are not ready by 7, like they are supposed to be, ever.

-The staff are very slow, if responsive at all, to requests. I asked for some extra duvets (for the rock hard mattresses) and they finally made it up about 2 hours later. When I called about the wi-fi in the room, I was hung up on and absolutely nothing was done.

-The final outrage was during checkout, where I found out that they charge an arm and a leg for LOCAL calls. I had to pay 536 bhats for calls made to local phones. This would be fine if I was notified that there were charges; they told me nothing when I asked about local calls at the front desk. Simply infuriating.

Bottom line, this place would be great under the right management; but since they neglect everything, it is extremely overpriced for awful service. I’m an experienced traveler and would highly recommend just about anything else over this. It is close to the main shopping/beach, but so are a lot of other places. Go somewhere else, seriously, this is the 2nd worst played I’ve ever stayed at.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go to a different hotel, period.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank DelphinaC
Marketing_SmallGrp, Public Relations Manager at The Small, Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your stay and comment on our hotel. After our management investigation with front office department, kindly allow us to explain as following detail.

1. For WiFi, we apologize for inconvenience caused. We are trying our best to improve this. Front office manager reported that she has compensated your inconvenience with 4 beers as per your requested. Please accept our apology if she thought that our compensation as per request is not satisfied.

2. For Housekeeping, we are afraid that it was miscommunication. Our housekeeping reported that she was informed by client that no need to clean the room when she went to do daily service in the morning. She put that in our log book both days. We apologize if she took wrong interpretation that you may want her to come back later.

We are taking your comment seriously to improve our service, including implementing extra English training for our staff.

Best regards,
Hotel Management

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed hear with my husband on our second visit to krabi and had considered this hotel on our previous visit. To be honest I was really disappointed. We had a pool access room which was nice and very clean. The pool is freezing in fact unbearable at times. Breakfast was a complete joke only had once and honestly only had an orange juice. All the fresh fruit was covered in flies and the cereal was thrown all over the place and that was it. The roof top pool is tiny whilst we were there the 'bar' (which is a table with spirits on and you leave money) got hit with a gust of wind and bottles smashed everywhere this was left for 2 days despite being reported. We were backpacking between Thailand and kuala lumpur and got so fed up we actually left the room we paid or and headed over to Rae Lae beach for 2 days. I'm pretty easy going but the small hotel disappointed me greatly sorry wouldn't recommend for more than a couple of days.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple